A fun quilting activity (long)

Old September 26th 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Default A fun quilting activity (long)

Last Saturday, my LQS held a really fun
activity. Quilters formed teams and made
lap quilts for residents in the Veterans
Hospital. We received kits and cutting
instructions a few days ahead. The kits
had enough fabric for backing, borders,
and most of the top. It was all
patriotic in style and color. We had to
supply some muslin for background. I
washed fabric and cut the strips,
recruited three friends, and joined the
fun. There were five teams.

There was some friendly competition
through out the day. Every team had to
follow the same guidelines. Each quilt
had 15 blocks each of two patterns, plus
borders, and a pieced back. It was about
36" x 42" so we did the stitch and turn
method to finish, then tied the quilts.

My team made one quilt and finished up
mid afternoon. We did not win any of the
contests, for special prizes, but we all
had fun. Some teams were really on a
roll, and stayed the full day, so they
made several quilts. I think there were
a total of about 10 quilts FINISHED.

This would be a great activity for any
group of friends. We were happy to
donate the time and effort for special
people. The shop supplied a good lunch,
and each quilter received two
participation prizes.

PAT in VA/USA
Old September 27th 06, 01:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mauvice in central WI

Hi Pat,
My guild does this four times a year, our next activity is set for Nov.
5th. We have an open sew from 1:30 to 6:30 finishing up with a potluck
supper at about 7. This time we are working on Chemo therapy pillows,
Hats for Chemo patients, and drain caddies(little flannel bags to hang
around the neck). Last time we made NeoNatal quilts, 26 finished and
another 30 kits ready for those who couldn't attend to take home. The
time before that was for Patiotic WH for our local national gaurd
families, one for each who has a member serving in the Mid East, We
made all told 92 of these!!! Very gratifying.. The bigger guild loves
the "kits" we make up, (batting backing binding, and top all included)
so all you have to do is sew...NO searching for materials. the
neoNatal quilts were the start, our big guild Piecemakers of Marshfield
has a service committment of 2 neoNatal quilts a year per member, but I
had found that every year I was having trouble meeting my committment,
so I figured there were others who had trouble too, so we had a block
drive, 10 x10 blocks appliqued in Juvenile theme with juvenile bright
fabric, and a donation of 1/2 yd of juvenile fabric or 1 yard of WOW
juvenile print backing fabric. Then we had some sorting, some cutting,
some sewing, some pressing, a great success. Voila your service promise
done in an afternoon!
It has become a quarterly event.
Mauvice in Central WI