OT ~ AAGGHHH!!! An old customer has the SoBig virus...

Old September 1st 03, 11:47 PM
Mj

Default OT ~ AAGGHHH!!! An old customer has the SoBig virus...

And their stupid system, unattended and now apparently on a cable modem, is
sending out thousands of emails using MY business email as the one of the
forged senders!!! I have been fighting for two days with tons of bounced
messages and automated messages from other ISPs telling me I sent an email
with a virus in it - of course these oh-so-very-helpful messages include a
copy of my 'original' message which STILL HAS THE VIRUS ATTACHED!!! God,
how stupid can they be??

This person's system is also sending out the virus using other email addys
so I'm getting tons of OTHER infected mail too. I'm tearing my hair out
here! And yes, the first thing I did was run a check of my own system to
make sure I wasn't infected and when that turned up negative, I still
downloaded and ran the removal program from Symantec - which didn't find
anything either.

I've traced the sending ISP to a GTE address in Texas and have sent off
several emails requesting that they look into it, but I've not been able to
track down this old customer at all. Their old email address no longer
works, they're not at the same Florida address anymore - couldn't find
anyone with that last name that would fit this person. They only ever
bought ONE thing on eBay and that was from me - over TWO YEARS AGO!!! - so I
can't request their contact information from eBay.

One last scream and then I'll go away: AAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Thank you for letting me vent...

Mj

--
=================================
Marjean Cline

Old September 2nd 03, 06:09 PM
Deirdre S.

The people who start these things have a special place in Hell
reserved for them, I suspect. And here on earth, they have a lot of
pointless, destructive waste of energy to answer for...

Deirdre

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 22:41:35 -0400, Kathy N-V
wrote:

I was getting between 40-50 copies a day, then it tapered down a bit and is
ramping up again to about 100 copies a day. My poor friend who runs a couple
of mailing lists on her server was getting a copy of the worm every 45
seconds for a couple of days last week. She had to take server offline for
almost a day.

Kathy N-V

Old September 2nd 03, 08:02 PM
starlia

I love the graphics on Mac, but the hubby works for Dell. So gotta put
money back to the market shares. LOL

Old September 3rd 03, 02:00 AM
melinda

Katra wrote:
vj wrote:
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from "Beadbimbo"
:

]What bugs me is that
]I'm sure it's going out with my e-mail address too, from someone's address
]book.

exactly.
makes me crazy.
and it's generally someone using Outlook Express that is causing all
the problem.

Buy a Macintosh. G That way it won't load!

Lately, I've been getting at least a dozen of those stupid sobig virus
attachments coming to my e-mail! I can tell by the titles and loading
speed so don't even open the things. They won't run on an I-mac anyway
even if I were ignorant enough to open the attachements. :-)

The majority of viruses are aimed at Windoze based systems, if you run
PC's you can run most Linux software without problems of the virus sort.

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old September 3rd 03, 02:09 AM
melinda

vj wrote:
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from Kathy N-V
:

]Me three. I have a Mac, and do not use Microsoft products, so I should be
]immune to the worm.

]Hahahahaha.

don't laugh too hard. the FIRST virus was written for the MAC.
by a game programmer.

That's why I'm begining to really love Linux! They don't bother, much,
to write viruses for Linux stuff. DH does the compiling. I'm sitting
in front of a computer that doesn't run windoze, but it does run a
window emulator. Big advantage IT DON'T CRASH!!!

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old September 4th 03, 02:03 AM
melinda

vj wrote:
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from melinda
:

]That's why I'm begining to really love Linux! They don't bother, much,
]to write viruses for Linux stuff. DH does the compiling. I'm sitting
]in front of a computer that doesn't run windoze, but it does run a
]window emulator. Big advantage IT DON'T CRASH!!!

and it's why our servers run on Linux.

they don't have the software i need yet . . . but it sure is tempting!

Tried googling for Linux alternatives of M$ stuff?
You might find something, you might not, but it doesn't hurt to try :-)

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old September 5th 03, 06:45 AM
melinda

vj wrote:
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from melinda
:

]I guess I have an advantage in the fact that DH
]does know a fair bit, can compile the software to get things running.
]A lot of the programs that run under a Linux window emulator look and
]work similar to M$ versions, without a lot of the same problems of the
]M$ stuff.

well, my DH does that, too. if i have time to wait for him to do it.
which i usually don't. but it is REALLY, REALLY tempting!

but i HAVE to run !@%!@%! WORD right now for work. and i HATE it!

So does DH, he's had a crash problem with it for the last week or so,
at first he thought it was cause by a virus, now he thinks one of his
template files got corrupted during a copy across to another computer
so he could re-install Windoze (long overdue, apparently needs doing
every 6 months to prevent major problems). If Open Office had
complete word art capabilities, then he'd swap over now, although he
still needs to run M$ for his quarterly GST tax stuff. :-(

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol