No Hip Measurements?

Old September 25th 06, 11:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DAB

Default No Hip Measurements?

So far I have yet to see a sweater pattern that includes the hip
measurement......this seems strange to me, my hips are 48 inches and my
chest is 42 inches. I like my sweaters to cover my butt so there is no way
if I follow a pattern for a sweater that it will fit me...unless I am
missing something. I have never knit a sweater for me.....the main reason I
want to is I am only 5 feet tall [or short] and none of the mass market
sweaters have sleeves short enough for me.

Hope everybody has a Happy Day...now off to work.

Donna

Old September 25th 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Midwest poster

"DAB" wrote in message
So far I have yet to see a sweater pattern that includes the hip
measurement......this seems strange to me, my hips are 48 inches and my
chest is 42 inches. I like my sweaters to cover my butt so there is no

way
if I follow a pattern for a sweater that it will fit me...unless I am
missing something. I have never knit a sweater for me.....the main reason

want to is I am only 5 feet tall [or short] and none of the mass market
sweaters have sleeves short enough for me.

Hope everybody has a Happy Day...now off to work.

Donna

It's true that most sweater patterns are the same width at the hip and
bust/chest. If you do some math to calculate how many more stitches to add
at the lower part and then decrease (working bottom up) or increase
(depending stitches on the direction you're working), you will have a
sweater that fits you.
--
Jan in MN

Old September 26th 06, 06:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Donna
i am one of the persons , who needs 3 sets of different measurements
to dress up ,,,
So here goes
Ask a frind to help .
make a big tablet with all possible sizes
measure and note down EVERY part to be covered with sweater ..
[for example Arm length inside and outside , circumference of arm
pit , elbow and cuff / Waist hips midrif ,, etc,,,
if you knit from hips up , calculate from your swatch how many stiches
you need and cast those on,.
measure the length from hips to midrif , calculate how many stiches
you need there ,,,, divide the length [cm or inches] into the number
of stiches to be decresed and than work out were you do it in the
side seam , and in the for and after middles etc,,,,
than when you go up to your waist you increase the needed stiches
again,

On sleeved you Divide the number of stiches to be incresed [ when
knitting from cuf to shoulder] into 2 ,, and than this divive length
into that number , by this you will know where to increase ,,,
mirjam

Old September 27th 06, 10:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DAB

Midwest poster wrote:
"DAB" wrote in message
[...]

Ok sounds like a PITA but I ordered the Math Wizard program so that should
help me G

Thanks!

Donna

Old September 27th 06, 10:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DAB

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
[...]

Wow thanks for the info....I will print this out and save it for later. I
still have 6 hats to make for presents so hope I can get started on my
sweater next monthG I have a topdown pattern so hope that will make it
eaiser.

Thanks for your reply mirjam and as a side note I still pray for your
safety.

Be well and happy!
Donna

Old September 27th 06, 12:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Ps Dab ,
apology for typos.
i forgot to add that when you swatch = make a guague you can measure
not only how many stiches go into inches or cm ,, but also how many
rows are needed for a cm or inches ,,, this will also help your
calculations when you make sleeves or have to decided where to
decrease and increse.
it is also VERY USEFUL , to make a drawing of the body and write your
measurements, and also make a drawing of the sweater [parts] with the
mesurements on it ,,,, it is a GOOD way to traing your eye and
thoughts to THINK in measurements ,,,
PLEASE Remember that when you knit in a pattern make your swatch in
same pattern ,,,,
mirjam

Old September 27th 06, 06:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
JCT

My only addition to all of this is that I am short waisted (long
legsand arms, short body that is wider at hips than chest) and find
that many sweater patterns are not proportioned right for me in this
regard. So in doing what Mirjam suggests with measurements, I have to
also look particularly at the lengths- like back of neck to waist.

Old September 27th 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Of course you should look at the lengthes of all parts ,,, and if you
find that you have to decrese many stiches ,,, divide around your hips
in 4 or 6 places [ like a 6 gore skirt ]
mirjam

Old September 27th 06, 10:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DAB

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
Ps Dab ,
apology for typos.
i forgot to add that when you swatch = make a guague you can measure
not only how many stiches go into inches or cm ,, but also how many
rows are needed for a cm or inches ,,, this will also help your
calculations when you make sleeves or have to decided where to
decrease and increse.
it is also VERY USEFUL , to make a drawing of the body and write your
measurements, and also make a drawing of the sweater [parts] with the
mesurements on it ,,,, it is a GOOD way to traing your eye and
thoughts to THINK in measurements ,,,
PLEASE Remember that when you knit in a pattern make your swatch in
same pattern ,,,,
mirjam

Ok thanks for the update and suggestion on the doing the guage swatch.

Donna