choosing a new serger

Old December 27th 11, 05:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default choosing a new serger

I've been warned that my favorite serger isn't going to last much longer.
Right now, it only goes if I have the wire to the foot control weighted down
with my 4 D battery flashlight.
Anyone have a new serger that does a beautiful tiny fine rolled edge?
I'm not going to finish seams on canvas tent stakes. The display items I've
examined at shows and dealers (none local) are never as pretty as what my
old Bernette 334DS can do. ( Only saying because I don't think it's my
superior skill level, just think most of them can't do what I want to.)
Polly

Old December 27th 11, 05:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

I like my Babylock Eclipse. It makes a nice rolled hem, though I don't
know if it's as tiny and fine as you want. I don't do a lot of fine
fabric sewing (mostly just pajamas), so I haven't done a lot of rolled
hems; the last ones were with regular cotton sewing thread in the
loopers (because I didn't have the right color serger thread) so they
weren't as fine as they would have been with finer thread. It is really
easy to set up for a rolled hem and it is super easy to thread.

Julia in MN

--
-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default.html

Old December 27th 11, 06:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Just a thought- a lot of folks seem to buy sergers and seldom use
them. Maybe you could find a very gently used machine the same as
the one you have and love? I don't have a serger, never have and
know nothing about them other than they frighten me with too many
threads and a fabric cutter! VBG

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old December 27th 11, 09:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

Yes - it was the fabric cutter that got to me in the end. I sold mine
pretty quickly!
..
In message
,
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. writes
Just a thought- a lot of folks seem to buy sergers and seldom use
them. Maybe you could find a very gently used machine the same as
the one you have and love? I don't have a serger, never have and
know nothing about them other than they frighten me with too many
threads and a fabric cutter! VBG

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old December 28th 11, 01:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I have a 334ds here. I replaced it with the Janome mylock 644d a few years
ago
but keep it as a back up.
I don't do the fussy stuff you do but golly that Janome is a real dream to
use.
It does most everything I ask of it. That isn't so much these days but I
really
enjoy sewing with it.
That Bernette broke (or should I say "went bad") maybe 5 years ago. I
bought
the Janome then decided I should have the Bernette repaired while parts
might
still be available. I bailed it out of the shop for $150 and put it in the
closet as
a back up. I didn’t even check it out for a couple of years. I finally
tested it and
it sewed like new. I still prefer that little Janome though. You could
come and
do a serger raid if you want. : )
Taria

Old December 28th 11, 03:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Oh bless your heart, Taria. I wouldn't raid a friend. Maybe an enemy. I
let my 334DS stay in a closet for years too. I thought if I never gave up
that I could make the next serger sing. Five years is long enough; the
new(er) serger is tone-deaf. Looking at the descriptions and abilities of
the latest sergers, some of them really call to me. I need to see what the
BabyLock can do. Polly

Old December 28th 11, 04:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Alice in PA[_3_]

I think they can do a lot! I went with a friend a few months ago to look
for one for her. Some of them are huge! Some of them have 6 or 8 spools of
thread! She eventually bought a used one....but has only used it once. I
had to help her set it up and get it running! I still use my Baby Lock
serger from at least 17 or 18 years ago. It doesn't have any features, no
self threading, not even dual feed! But, I'm comfortable with it, and it
does a great rolled hem. I've only had it serviced once in all those years;
when I ran over a pin (or tried to) that was buried in a fake fur Halloween
costume! Sometimes I think I'd like a new one, but then I don't know what
more I'd use it for than the one I have.
--
Alice in PA
http://community.webshots.com/user/twosonsatpsu

Old December 28th 11, 04:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Good Golly, Alice! I can't imagine serging fake fur. Mostly because I
figure it would dull the serger's blades and getting them replaced would
amount to a 100 mile trip and probably weeks without the serger. Other than
that . . .
I serge a lot of receiving blankets. The new mamas say that the serged
edge holds up just as well as a twice-folded straight stitch via sewing
machine. Then there's preemie shirts and gowns. They really do need a
soft, fine rolled edge. Polly

Old December 28th 11, 10:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Lancaster

On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 11:28:30 -0600, Polly Esther wrote:
examined at shows and dealers (none local) are never as pretty as what my
old Bernette 334DS can do. ( Only saying because I don't think it's my

Polly, I'm a Juki partisan, and they made either many or all of the Bernette
sergers. My main serger is a Juki MO655, a 5 thread true safety stitch serger, which is the Bernette 008D, but a pile less money.

The Juki MO644 is probably the equivalent of your serger now.
http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp02539-2511.html
and here's the manual: http://www.jukihome.com/products/mo644d.html

If you'll tell me what fabrics you typically use for rolled edges, I'll
run some off on my serger and you can see what a 5 year old, never
professionally serviced serger will do. Most of my serging is pretty heavy
duty, and I never seem to do rolled hems, so what you'll see from my samples
is pretty amateur hour in the rolled hem department. I know I've got some
lightweight muslin, probably some batiste, some decent cotton flannel around--
what else do you roll hem?

Kay

Old December 28th 11, 02:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Well, Kay. Wow. I don't think I ever had anyone solve a problem for me so
perfectly. My little face is smiling all the way around my head. Hot dog.
I was looking at the latest and greatest. The truth is, I really don't
want them. All I wanted was a perfect copy of what I'm comfortable with
that's not just about to fall to pieces.
Your offer to do amateur hour rolled edges made me LOL. Not going to be
necessary but the thought is just a hoot. Thank you for finding the serger
for me. I owe you big time. Polly

wrote:
[...]

OT choosing a kitty QI Polly Esther Quilting 42 June 23rd 04 03:11 PM
Need help choosing searobin Glass 0 April 10th 04 07:34 PM
OT-Help choosing new stove oldhag Quilting 47 October 27th 03 02:43 AM
Serger Progect Book. 56 Great serger ideas! madhatress Marketplace 0 July 31st 03 01:48 AM