OT - B ritain in the 1950s

Old March 16th 12, 11:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce

Default OT - B ritain in the 1950s

A bit of nostalgia - a terraced house in Liverpool that has not been
altered since the 1950s plus some dockland scenes. I remember those
kitchen cabinets. That bathroom looks very cold too, I remember as a
child hurrying my weekly bath so that I could get dried and then sit in
front of the coal fire in my pyjamas to get warm again.
http://tinyurl.com/7u4but3
--
©2012
Bruce Fletcher
Old March 16th 12, 01:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dianne Lewandowski

On 3/16/2012 6:53 AM, Bruce wrote:
A bit of nostalgia - a terraced house in Liverpool that has not been
altered since the 1950s plus some dockland scenes. I remember those
kitchen cabinets. That bathroom looks very cold too, I remember as a
child hurrying my weekly bath so that I could get dried and then sit in
front of the coal fire in my pyjamas to get warm again.
http://tinyurl.com/7u4but3

Thanks for that wonderful bit of nostalgia.
Dianne
Old March 20th 12, 06:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
mumagain[_3_]

On Friday, March 16, 2012 11:53:42 AM UTC, Bruce wrote:
A bit of nostalgia - a terraced house in Liverpool that has not been
altered since the 1950s plus some dockland scenes. I remember those
kitchen cabinets. That bathroom looks very cold too, I remember as a
child hurrying my weekly bath so that I could get dried and then sit in
front of the coal fire in my pyjamas to get warm again.
http://tinyurl.com/7u4but3
--
©2012
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
(Remove dentures to reply)
If a man stands in a forest and no woman is around is he still wrong?

Actually, Rodney Street was considered a 'Posh' road in Liverpool and was where Doctors and other Middle Class folk lived .
And yes I recognise most of the items from my youth.
Thanks Bruce.
Jan in chilly Wiltshire
Old March 20th 12, 11:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joyce in RSA

On 2012/03/16 01:53 PM, Bruce wrote:
A bit of nostalgia - a terraced house in Liverpool that has not been
altered since the 1950s plus some dockland scenes. I remember those
kitchen cabinets. That bathroom looks very cold too, I remember as a
child hurrying my weekly bath so that I could get dried and then sit in
front of the coal fire in my pyjamas to get warm again.
http://tinyurl.com/7u4but3

We were lucky. We didn't have a bathroom, so our baths were taken in a
tub in front of the kitchen fire. We didn't have hot water either,
until after the war when we had a small gas geyser put in the kitchen.
We heated water in a bucket on the gas stove for washing ourselves, and
dishes, washed clothes in a corrugated metal tub with a "dolly peg", and
boiled what was necessary in the "copper" with a fire lit under it. We
had a big old mangle to squeeze everything, and break the buttons if you
weren't careful!

That house looks quite modern compared to what I remember! No stainless
steel sink, but a stone sink and wooden drainboard. The toilet was at
the end of the backyard, with a wooden seat from wall to wall, and with
newspaper carefully torn into squares, hanging with string from a nail.

Memories!

Joyce in RSA.

Old March 20th 12, 01:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Shirley Shone[_3_]

On 20/03/2012 12:50, wrote:
On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 13:43:17 +0200, Joyce in RSA
wrote:

[...]

Here's another one that might interest some people -

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=84609

That is very interesting. My husband was on one of the aircraft carriers
at the fleet review. It was before we got married.

--
Shirley
www.allcrafts.org.uk
Old March 20th 12, 01:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Shirley Shone[_3_]

On 20/03/2012 11:43, Joyce in RSA wrote:
[...]

We also had a tin bath on the hearth. Water ladled out from the boiler
at the side of the fire.
The house was made from an old farm building with a stone front and
brick back. The copper was outside across the yard open to all weathers.

The toilet was a tuppenny bus ride up the garden path.
My job on a Saturday was to cut the weeks papers into squares, punch
holes in the corners and string them up.
That is how I remember WW11.
Shirley

--
Shirley