Magnifier lenses for close up stitching/quilting/thread painting?

Old September 18th 09, 12:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Default Magnifier lenses for close up stitching/quilting/thread painting?

Do any of you use a magnifying lens for quilting or thread painting? I
really need something to help me see details. I bought a cheap little
lens for $7 or $8 and it's worthless. Supposed to hang around your
neck on a string and rest on your bosom. Hah! Anyway, I'm looking and
would appreciate any and all recommendations.

Sunny
Old September 18th 09, 12:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jack Campin - bogus address

Do any of you use a magnifying lens for quilting or thread painting? I
really need something to help me see details. I bought a cheap little
lens for $7 or $8 and it's worthless. Supposed to hang around your
neck on a string and rest on your bosom. Hah! Anyway, I'm looking and
would appreciate any and all recommendations.

No earthly use for continuous work, but the best close-up magnifier
you'll find is a 50mm lens from an old film SLR camera (preferably
an f1.8 one) - you hold it backwards, with the front of the lens
towards you. These are very cheap in junk shops and the quality of
the image you get is ridiculously good. (35mm lenses work too, but
your eye needs to be a bit closer and they usually aren't as bright).

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
****** I killfile Google posts - email me if you want to be whitelisted ******
Old September 18th 09, 12:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I have a wonderful one, Sunny. It is a floor lamp - a lighted circle.
Heavy as a refrigerator. I keep it beside my sewing chair and swing it over
when I'm getting really serious with an appliqué or such. You wouldn't want
to order one online because shipping would be a killer. Seems like mine
came from an electronics store. Polly

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
Do any of you use a magnifying lens for quilting or thread painting? I
really need something to help me see details. I bought a cheap little
lens for $7 or $8 and it's worthless. Supposed to hang around your
neck on a string and rest on your bosom. Hah! Anyway, I'm looking and
would appreciate any and all recommendations.

No earthly use for continuous work, but the best close-up magnifier
you'll find is a 50mm lens from an old film SLR camera (preferably
an f1.8 one) - you hold it backwards, with the front of the lens
towards you. These are very cheap in junk shops and the quality of
the image you get is ridiculously good. (35mm lenses work too, but
your eye needs to be a bit closer and they usually aren't as bright).

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk
====
Jack Campin, 11 Third St, Newtongrange EH22 4PU, Scotland == mob 07800 739
557
CD-ROMs and free stuff: Scottish music, food intolerance, and Mac logic
fonts
****** I killfile Google posts - email me if you want to be whitelisted
******

Old September 18th 09, 12:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Sep 17, 6:13*pm, Sunny wrote:
Do any of you use a magnifying lens for quilting or thread painting? I
really need something to help me see details. I bought a cheap little
lens for $7 or $8 and it's worthless. Supposed to hang around your
neck on a string and rest on your bosom. Hah! Anyway, I'm looking and
would appreciate any and all recommendations.

Sunny

Has anyone ever tried this one from Ott?

http://www.ott-lite.com/p-244-free-s...sale-1999.aspx

I'm curious about it too.
Sunny, for the meantime, I did buy a cheap pair of "reader" glasses, a
bit
stronger than my regular prescription lenses. They work pretty well. I
use
them especially for hand quilting. That, along with a good full-
spectrum
lamp works pretty well.

Sherry
Old September 18th 09, 01:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

I saw reading glasses at "The Dollar Tree" for $1 a pair and bought a few in
different strengths for use in reading, embroidery, sewing at the SM, and to
have "extras". I leave the little sticker on to tell what the strength is.
They never stay where I remember putting them last!
Barbara in SC

Old September 18th 09, 01:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
joan8904

On Sep 17, 7:16�pm, "Bobbie Sews More" wrote:
I saw reading glasses at "The Dollar Tree" for $1 a pair and bought a few in
different strengths for use in reading, embroidery, sewing at the SM, and to
have "extras". �I leave the little sticker on to tell what the strength is.
They �never stay �where I remember putting them last!
Barbara in SC

I use the magnifier attached to my Ott table top lamp. While it's not
necessary for actually 'seeing', I do find that my work is much better
when I use it.
joan
Old September 18th 09, 02:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Gen

I buy the clip on magnifying glasses from Joann's when the notion wall is
50% off. Of course, these only work if you wear regular glasses.
Gen

Old September 18th 09, 07:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Shirley Shone

In message
,
Sunny writes
Do any of you use a magnifying lens for quilting or thread painting? I
really need something to help me see details. I bought a cheap little
lens for $7 or $8 and it's worthless. Supposed to hang around your
neck on a string and rest on your bosom. Hah! Anyway, I'm looking and
would appreciate any and all recommendations.

Sunny

Mag Eyes. They are on a head band. The can be moved up and down. You can
also glance up over the top to see TV or anywhere in the room. Not tied
to one position like ones on a stand.
I always use them for my beadwork.
You can buy different strength lenses for them.
I have tried a few magnifiers but these are tops with me.

http://www.mageyes.com/

Hugs
Shirley
--
Shirley Shone

http://www.allcrafts.org.uk
Old September 18th 09, 01:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

Shirley Shone wrote:
Mag Eyes. They are on a head band. The can be moved up and down. You can
also glance up over the top to see TV or anywhere in the room. Not tied
to one position like ones on a stand.
I always use them for my beadwork.
You can buy different strength lenses for them.
I have tried a few magnifiers but these are tops with me.

http://www.mageyes.com/

Hugs
Shirley

I use MagEyes to do needlework when I am traveling. They are great
and are available this side of the pond at Hobby Lobby. Cost is
currently about $27.00, I THINK. CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old September 18th 09, 02:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

I use a stronger pair of glasses. Have a magnifier that clips onto
.....something. Fits the table edge, but that's in the way of quilting.
No place it would stay clipped to the machine. And too wobbly with the
vibration anyhow. But I do use it for the occasional fiddly hand
mending of something delicate.
I also have the bosom buddy, and agree it's useless. A woman's got to
breathe!
Roberta in D

ping John-thread painting Gen Quilting 1 February 20th 08 03:16 AM
Oil painting, oil painting on glass, PAINTINGS FOR SALE, about oil painting... sezamorg General Crafting 0 July 30th 06 11:39 PM
Edinburgh quilting shop forced to close Jack Campin - bogus address Quilting 3 November 18th 05 11:33 PM
silk thread painting BDS2pds Needlework 6 May 27th 04 10:18 PM
A Copy Of Painting With Thread to be won Elizabeth O'Rourke Needlework 0 August 25th 03 03:39 PM