Excessive spam all of a sudden

Old May 21st 09, 11:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply)

Default Excessive spam all of a sudden

Whatever is happening - all these ridiculous spam messages. I just mark
them as read but it is very annoying.
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney UK
Old May 22nd 09, 12:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply) wrote:
Whatever is happening - all these ridiculous spam messages. I just mark
them as read but it is very annoying.

You notice the "senders" all start with "a", and totally different
addresses. Aggravating, you betcha!

Gillian
Old May 22nd 09, 12:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

Gillian Murray wrote:
Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply) wrote:
Whatever is happening - all these ridiculous spam messages. I just
mark them as read but it is very annoying.

You notice the "senders" all start with "a", and totally different
addresses. Aggravating, you betcha!

Gillian

NOt at all nettiquette to reply to oneself, but I glanced at
RCTMarketplace, and the "A"s are there too.....
Old May 22nd 09, 04:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
MargW

wrote:
On Thu, 21 May 2009 23:28:12 GMT, Gillian Murray
wrote:

Gillian Murray wrote:
Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply) wrote:
Whatever is happening - all these ridiculous spam messages. I just
mark them as read but it is very annoying.
You notice the "senders" all start with "a", and totally different
addresses. Aggravating, you betcha!

Gillian

NOt at all nettiquette to reply to oneself, but I glanced at
RCTMarketplace, and the "A"s are there too.....

They are everywhere, but that's good because they are in the process
of taking them out now.

They all come from an organization called usenetmonster (you can see it
if you expand the headers). They are being posted to nearly every
newsgroup (or usenet). I know there have been complaints sent, but I
don't think it will do much good, since I think it is a robot program
designed to spam newsgroups - just looking at the name 'usenet monster'.
The e-mails addresses showing are either fictitious or have been
stolen. Once they get through the 'a' list, we'll start seeing 'b'.

There are too many of them to create filters by address, but I'm
creating filters from the major subject (vacuums,etc.), which will get
rid of a few (admittedly a very few). Otherwise, I'm doing what Bruce
is doing - highlighting them as a group and marking them read.

MargW
Old May 22nd 09, 06:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Shirley Shone

In message , Gillian Murray
writes
Gillian Murray wrote:
Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply) wrote:
Whatever is happening - all these ridiculous spam messages. I just
mark them as read but it is very annoying.

You notice the "senders" all start with "a", and totally different
addresses. Aggravating, you betcha!
Gillian

NOt at all nettiquette to reply to oneself, but I glanced at
RCTMarketplace, and the "A"s are there too.....

They have also hit rec. craft. Beads. At the moment there is very little
bead posts going on there, much to my dismay.

I just remove them and sometimes kill file them.
Shirley
--
Shirley Shone

http://www.allcrafts.org.uk
Old May 22nd 09, 07:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Shirley Shone

In message , Shirley Shone
writes
In message , Gillian Murray
writes
Gillian Murray wrote:
Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply) wrote:
Whatever is happening - all these ridiculous spam messages. I just
mark them as read but it is very annoying.
You notice the "senders" all start with "a", and totally different
addresses. Aggravating, you betcha!
Gillian

NOt at all nettiquette to reply to oneself, but I glanced at
RCTMarketplace, and the "A"s are there too.....

They have also hit rec. craft. Beads. At the moment there is very
little bead posts going on there, much to my dismay.

I just remove them and sometimes kill file them.
Shirley

Sorry to follow my own post but it looks as if I were removing the bead
posts. I meant the spam. Well what can I expect at 6.30 am and senior
moments. VBG
Shirley
--
Shirley Shone

http://www.allcrafts.org.uk
Old May 22nd 09, 06:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Olwyn Mary

I wondered what you were all talking about until I went over to Google
Groups. Mozilla Thunderbird seems to do an excellent job of screening
out these things (but it occasionally drops real messages as well).
However, recently I had my laptop "fixed" by a local computer shop,
because I didn't think I had time to do it myself. Wrong move. It took
me longer to fix it my self after I got it back than it would have to
have cleaned up the hard drive myself, with lots of coaching from
various websites, that is. Anyway, I am having trouble getting
Thunderbird to work properly on that computer, so if I want to use it to
read these groups, I have to go through Google. What a mess. Much more
advertising than real messages. You all should probably complain to
your own ISP or newsreader about them letting these posts through. If
Thunderbird can stop them, so can the others.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.
Old May 23rd 09, 03:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Olwyn Mary

Olwyn Mary wrote:

I wondered what you were all talking about until I went over to Google
Groups. Mozilla Thunderbird seems to do an excellent job of screening
out these things (but it occasionally drops real messages as well).

Sorry, gotta correct myself here. Thunderbird is just the vehicle, it
is Motzarella which brings in the messages, and screens out the SPAM.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.
Old May 23rd 09, 03:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Olwyn Mary

Karen C in California wrote:

You mean the guys who F-ed up both my computers last year have moved to
NOLA?

The first one came back with a virus program that didn't play well with
the one AOL provides free, other unwanted software/upgrades, and the
CD/DVD burner still didn't work (he showed me that it played before I
took it out of the shop, but it didn't burn when I got it home).

The second one came back with multiple programs removed, essential
program component files removed -- even had to re-install AOL because
they assumed the dial-up files were unnecessary, "everyone uses wi-fi
now". Took me 6 hours just to get to the point that I could check to
see if any clients had sent me any work and do the work. To this day,
I'm still finding things that don't work properly because some essential
subfile was removed. Oh, yeah, and they made some adjustment to the
"mouse buttons" so that the set that I prefer to use, you need to hit
with a sledgehammer to get them to click -- seriously, full pressure
from both thumbs with the laptop set on a solid/hard surface; doesn't
work on a soft lap where most people put their laptop. Fortunately,
this laptop has two sets of mouse buttons, and the other set still
works. Again, when he showed me the computer worked before I took it
out of the shop, he didn't show me the part that didn't work. "Oh, the
mouse buttons aren't responding because McAfee is loading", and since I
was on a tight schedule, I didn't want to wait several minutes for the
full boot-up to complete, and didn't realize that the problem was not
just McAfee until I got it home, and at that point, would've had to pay
another $80 minimum to have them fix it.

Well, one of them did, and has a shop on Magazine Street.

I took the laptop in because it was running painfully slowly, and as I
have pretty good virus protection I figured it was the registry too full
and needed to be cleaned out. When I opened it up, there was all kinds
of stuff all wanting to start up immediately, and if I had painfully
checked each one out through Google it would have taken hours. This was
a very busy week for me, the week before Holy Week and we had been
conned into doing too many thngs at church, plus I was trying to get my
new outfit made, all between the asthma bouts.

I specifically asked if he could simply clean out the registry, leaving
only those programs which really needed to open as soon as I booted up.
Not disturb my other programs, just simply clean the registry.

When I went back, the #@$%^&* had wiped the hard drive, and then loaded
on HIS Windows XP Office, instead of my Windows XP Home. He had saved
My Documents, and not a blamed thing else!!!!!!!!! Mind you, he had put
on some nice pretty pictures for wallpaper, just as a special favor!! I
told him in short order to get that thing off. I only boot up when I am
going to use the computer, and I don't need that stuff, a grey screen
with just a dozen icons is quite enough for me. I asked about AOL and he
said "you might have to reload that". Then I asked about the pattern
drafting programs. And the nutrition analysis program. And...........
You guessed it. Unfortunately, he had already swiped my VISA card.

I ended up having to CALL att to find out how to reconnect my broadband,
something on there was stopping it. Likewise I had to call aol to find
out how to undo whatever it was that was blocking my dial-up.
Fortunately, I am hyper about saving the cd s for other programs, and
the ones which I downloaded and paid for I have the i.d. numbers .

The only thing I have not been able to get back into order is
Motzarella, so I just use that downstairs on the desktop. I do need to
call them to find out how to fix things there.

It wasn't until I was ready to leave the shop that I noticed something
which, had I seen it before, would have given me pause. A serving army
major (in uniform) came in, was greeted "Hi, major, what's wrong this
week?" and, right afterwards, two young women came in and were also
greeted the same way. Obviously, this charlatan is doing just enough to
their computers to make them work for only a week and have to be brought
back again. And they are fool enough to fall for it instead of finding
someone competent or learning to do it themselves.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Protect yourself against Operation Sudden Fall Mystified One[_2_] Yarn 4 May 11th 08 10:20 AM
Excessive needle count Wooly Yarn 3 July 5th 06 01:07 PM
Sudden trip.... Sandy Foster Quilting 14 December 25th 05 09:13 AM
(OT Spam) Statement on Spam and VoteNader.org Roger Halstead Yarn 0 April 10th 04 07:03 PM