Low-fire lead-free glazes?

Old September 24th 06, 08:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
5string

Default Low-fire lead-free glazes?

Hi. I was looking at Charles Gillespie's Cone04 - Low Fire Pottery Book (2nd
ed.), and noticed that most of the glaze recipes contain "white lead." Does
anyone know of a source of low-fire LEAD-FREE glaze recipes? Or in the
alternative, does anyone have any low-fire lead-free recipes that they would
be willing to share? Thanks.

Rick

Old September 25th 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

"5string" wrote in message
Hi. I was looking at Charles Gillespie's Cone04 - Low Fire Pottery Book
(2nd ed.), and noticed that most of the glaze recipes contain "white
lead." Does anyone know of a source of low-fire LEAD-FREE glaze recipes?
Or in the alternative, does anyone have any low-fire lead-free recipes
that they would be willing to share? Thanks.

Rick

Have you tried www/potters.org search? I believe most of the leadless
lowfire glazes use frits but you should be able to get something useful
there.

Old September 25th 06, 01:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Bob Masta

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 19:20:17 GMT, "5string"
wrote:

Hi. I was looking at Charles Gillespie's Cone04 - Low Fire Pottery Book (2nd
ed.), and noticed that most of the glaze recipes contain "white lead." Does
anyone know of a source of low-fire LEAD-FREE glaze recipes? Or in the
alternative, does anyone have any low-fire lead-free recipes that they would
be willing to share? Thanks.

Whatever you end up with will most likely use boron
in some form or another. Here's one that I've used,
from Glaze Projects by Richard Behrens (p40).

Cone 04 Base Glaze - Glossy
Gestley Borate 60 (I used Gillespie Borate)
Kaolin 15 (EPK)
Flint 25

Behrens shows this same basic 3-component glaze
in different proportions for cones 08, 04, 1, and 4.

Best regards,

Bob Masta
dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom

D A Q A R T A
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com
Home of DaqGen, the FREEWARE signal generator

Tsunami Relief Drive; Free US Shipping; New Woodrow Studio, Free Spirit, Michael Miller, more at The Virginia Quilter. The Virginia Quilter Marketplace 0 January 15th 05 04:38 AM
FREE Stuff That You Can Use Kim Hang Beads 0 November 25th 03 10:05 PM
Glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 1 September 18th 03 04:16 PM
glaze FAQ's Tom Buck Pottery 0 August 18th 03 01:26 AM
glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 July 18th 03 05:40 AM