Tinker-fest

Old April 18th 04, 02:44 PM
Mary in Oregon

Default Tinker-fest

I think I would go with the green..... or maybe two colors ..... green and
the off white

--
Mary
"dogsnus" wrote in message
I've finally (somewhat)finished my first ME/MINE quilt to the extent,
in that it looks like a future quilt someday.
I didn't buy enough fabric (naturally) and now I need to
put sashing on to extend it and tie it all together.

My dilemma is,which color(s)? I can't decide except that I
know it has to be a solid color(s).

Here's what I have so far:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~dogsn...s/104_0449.JPG

Here's a closeup shot of the colors:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~dogsn...s/104_0450.JPG

Feel free to tinker away! Advice,opinions,input,discussions and plain old
fun are welcome and valued.
Colors I've considered so far:
Brown,peach,lavender,cream or some shade of green.
Does anyone see an orange in there anywhere?

I have quite a mental block on this one for some reason,
and given my spongemonkey disaster yesterday, I'm not to
be trusted with my own decisions right now.
Heh!

Terri

Old April 18th 04, 02:50 PM
The Laws

"dogsnus" wrote in message
[...]

First I love "Tinkerfest" It made me smile, the first of the day with not
many expected. Maybe a green narrow strip and acream/brown big or medium
print, but you need to put the quilt in a bag and take it with you to the
store. Also. if the LQS lady is good with colors, and knows what she has ,
go for her help. I see orange red dominant in the prints, on my computer
at least, and I think there is enough of that Kay

Old April 18th 04, 03:00 PM
frood

Since it is a quilt for you, and the sashing will be a dominant design
element, you need to make sure *you* like whatever color you pick. Brown
like the background of one fabric would work, but that would make the
overall quilt dark in feeling. This is not a bad thing, but just an element
you need to consider. Sage green (like the leaves in on of the prints) would
tie it together nicely. Since the sashing is a major element, as I said,
this may give it the look of a green and pink quilt, instead of a pink and
something quilt. Again, not a bad thing.

If you want pink to remain the main color, try a cream or taupe (sort of a
cool, darkish beige). If you go with cream, pick something that is different
from the cream used in the blocks.

Definately take at least 4 blocks with you to the LQS, more if they have the
space to audition stuff. My LQS doesn't really have much table space, but
the one Pat in VA goes to has a nice big cutting table that they let me lay
out aobut 10 blocks on when I was picking sashing for one of my
(still-unfinished, but getting closer) quilts.

Oh, and I thought the stuffed rabbit was cute!

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

Old April 18th 04, 03:19 PM
Louise

Teri, I like the color of the roses in the darker fabric. Can you find
something to match that? It appears to be kind of a rust color -- are my
eyes seeing it right? To give it some interest (and hopefully not make it
too busy), you might want to use the rust color on half of the blocks and a
lighter, complementary color -- maybe a light shade of the green -- on the
other half. Alternate them, starting with the dark color on one row and the
lighter color on the next, and you'll have a kind of streak of lightning
design.

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

Old April 18th 04, 03:21 PM
Heidi from Germany

dogsnus schrieb:
I'd vote for off-white or cream,
but whatever you really choose, it's already obvious,
it's gonna be a beautiful quilt
Heidi from Germany
btw, what does tinker mean ? I looked it up in my
dictionary and found a meaning something like
bungle or botch, is this right ?
[...]

http:\\hbquilts.bei.t-online.de
mail: please remove quilt from address

Old April 18th 04, 04:29 PM
Dr. Quilter

you are doing it with the quilt as you go method?

dogsnus wrote:

[...]

Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens
(take the dog out before replying)

Old April 18th 04, 05:09 PM

It connotes a fussy sort of minor adjustment to bring whatever it is into
closer alignment with a perceived ideal. It means to pick at and poke at and
fiddle with and tweak something until it reaches something close to your idea
of perfection.

A teenage boy might "tinker" with his old car until the engine sounds just
right.

A quilter might "tinker" with the fabric colors for her blocks until they are
perfect and "sing".

At least that's what it meant in upstate New York where I learned to speak :-)

--
Anne in CA
"It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl Crow

Heidi from Germany wrote:

btw, what does tinker mean ? I looked it up in my
dictionary and found a meaning something like
bungle or botch, is this right ?

remove NOSPAM to reply

Bead Fest JoAnn Paules Beads 5 October 9th 04 07:10 AM
Beast Fest this weekend Tinkster Beads 13 October 7th 04 06:29 PM
AD: Desert Dreamer FALL FEST Clearance Beads Karen_AZ Beads 3 September 30th 04 01:49 AM