Wedging Table Questions

Old August 11th 03, 08:06 PM
Clayslinger

Default Wedging Table Questions

"Lindsay MacArthur" wrote in message
I have two questions regarding the wedging table my boyfriend and I
are building.......
1. What is the best way to attach canvas to the table (hardware
wise)---the table is wood?
2. What's the most appropriate type of plaster to use and where can I
find it?

Let me just say that my work table/wedging table was covered in canvas - I
ended up ripping it off. Now my table is just a particle board top. I can
wedge on it, hand build on it and glaze stuff there as well. Easy to clean
off - no plaster bits in my clay and no canvas holding in clay dust.
Just my $.02
-
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Penni Stoddart
of Penelope's Pots
Full Time Education Assistant,
Part Time Potter

Sometimes we just need to remember what the rules of life
really are... You need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape.
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and
shouldn't, use the duct tape.

Old August 11th 03, 09:47 PM
psci_kw

"Clayslinger" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...

"Lindsay MacArthur" wrote in message
I have two questions regarding the wedging table my boyfriend and I
are building.......
1. What is the best way to attach canvas to the table (hardware
wise)---the table is wood?
2. What's the most appropriate type of plaster to use and where can I
find it?

Let me just say that my work table/wedging table was covered in canvas - I
ended up ripping it off. Now my table is just a particle board top. I can
wedge on it, hand build on it and glaze stuff there as well. Easy to clean
off - no plaster bits in my clay and no canvas holding in clay dust.
Just my $.02
-
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Penni Stoddart

snip

I've tried using wood as a table surface, tried fiberglass, composites (like
Formica style laminates), even an old stainless steel commercial
kitchen table.
Nothing...I repeat, NOTHING, held on to the clay like canvas.
Regarding the issue of dust, I wait for mine to dry out (takes a day or so)
then vacuum it with a beater bar equipped vacuum to get out all the dust.

Were you planning on using the plaster _under_ the canvas? And to what end?
Wood worked out just fine for me. I built using a 3/4 inch thick piece of
marine grade plywood. Won't rot, has no arsenic compounds commonly found in
pressure-treated lumber. Ten years, and still going (or it was until it got
smashed recently)
I just roll the canvas under the edge of the table and stapled it (a lot).

Hope that helps,
Wayne in Key West

Old August 11th 03, 10:01 PM
Lindsay MacArthur

Thanks for the help.
I intend to use the plater to help reclaim my clay. I

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 16:47:46 -0400, "psci_kw"
wrote:

"Clayslinger" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...

[...]

I'm planning to use the plaster to help reclaim my clay. I'm still in
debate as to whether or not I want to cover it with canvas.
LMac
Old August 12th 03, 02:38 AM
Mud Dawg

When I made my wedging table, I stapled the canvas to the wood. I use that
piece for dark clay. I have two other pieces of canvas covered wood that I
use for white clay and the other for colored clay. I just use a C-clamp to
hold it down. I have my plaster in a separate frame that I can move outside
as required to speed up the drying. Steve in Tampa, FL., USA

"Lindsay MacArthur" wrote in message
I have two questions regarding the wedging table my boyfriend and I
are building.......
1. What is the best way to attach canvas to the table (hardware
wise)---the table is wood?
2. What's the most appropriate type of plaster to use and where can I
find it?
Technically that's three questions ;-)

Thanks
LMac

Old August 12th 03, 02:43 AM
Mud Dawg

If you don't want to use plaster, you can dump your slurried clay into a old
pant leg that is sewn shut at the cuff. Then, just let it hang from the
ceiling. Place a bucket under the pant leg to catch the water. This method
takes a little longer than plaster, but you don't have to worry about pieces
of plaster contaminating your clay.

Old August 12th 03, 07:57 AM
Steve Mills

Another viewpoint:

I use a piece of slate as a wedging/workbench; it's slightly absorbent,
doesn't shed bits into the clay, doesn't move when I'm wedging a large
piece of clay, and doesn't trap clay dust. It started life as part of a
Billiard table. I reclaim clay in a trouser leg as another contributor
has posted.

Steve
Bath
UK

In article , psci_kw
writes

--
Steve Mills
Bath
Old August 13th 03, 03:59 AM
Jim Carr

I've always had the best success with a plain old plaster slab. Not
only does the clay grab it pretty well but if my clay is a little gooey,
it draws water out of it rather quickly and dries up itself i no time.

jim

The ten questions I want you to answer Jalynne Beads 19 June 22nd 04 08:58 PM
Some additional questions Steve Lamb Beads 15 April 3rd 04 03:25 PM
question need to raise table for shows roxan Beads 16 February 20th 04 04:59 PM
Looking for Help Roy Neudecker Glass 4 January 20th 04 05:40 PM
newbie questions Umberto Ramirez Polymer Clay 3 December 29th 03 05:02 PM