OT trick or treat

Old November 1st 09, 12:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default OT trick or treat

I am amazed.

Our house has gotten a rep, and we get a lot of trick or treaters.
We put the goodies in a small pirate chest and tell the kids to take
two things. Usually the chest is full of those half sized candy bars,
packages of microwave popcorn, instant mulled cider, and hot cocoa,
with a couple of bags of lollipops or pixie stix tossed in for color.
This year DH tossed in a case of chicken ramen just to see...

The take it home and have it hot things are always very popular, but
gosh!
This year we gave out over 80 packages of microwave popcorn, I had to
raid the pantry to see if we had any on the shelves! We also got
flattened so far as the hot drink mixes, and all the ramen noodles are
gone!
The most popular candy was the Harry Potter Blood Lollipops, all the
kids knew what those were on sight. I still have a few left though.

I have chocolate left!

Food (such as it is) flew out the door, and the candy got left behind!

Maybe next year we should add in some muffin mixes or those tubes of
soup mix.

NightMist
--

Legolas is my house elf
Old November 1st 09, 02:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

On Nov 1, 6:07*am, (NightMist) wrote:

Maybe next year we should add in some muffin mixes or those tubes of
soup mix.

Or you could try some canned broccoli, cauliflower, or brussels
sprouts and see how far they go... 8^P
Old November 1st 09, 02:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

NightMist wrote:
I am amazed. ...snip...
This year we gave out over 80 packages of microwave popcorn ...snip...
I have chocolate left!

Food (such as it is) flew out the door, and the candy got left behind!
...snip...
NightMist

We hand out two pieces of assorted small candy bars but that's just
for tradition. We have a rep for handing out Mardi Gras Beads -- REAL
beads from New Orleans that came from the guys on the floats! Before
the holiday, the kids who live in the 'hood always make sure to ask us
about the beads when they pass by the house :-). Honestly, most of the
kids could care less about the candy, they really like getting different
stuff -- like Mardi Gras beads OR micro popcorn :-))). CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old November 1st 09, 08:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 05:36:09 -0800 (PST), "Dr. Zachary Smith"
wrote:

On Nov 1, 6:07=A0am, (NightMist) wrote:

Maybe next year we should add in some muffin mixes or those tubes of
soup mix.

Or you could try some canned broccoli, cauliflower, or brussels
sprouts and see how far they go... 8^P

Oh please that kind of stuff winds up as mathoms even at the food
pantries!
It does not begin to compare to being able to go home and bake
blueberry muffins! Humph

I did find out talking to the fella next door that because of money
they have closed the soup kitchen on weekends. When school is out that
becomes the lunchroom for a lot of kids. Which might explain some of
the packets of ramen.

I was joking about the muffins and soup mix, but if things stay bad
maybe it would be a notion...

NightMist
--

Legolas is my house elf
Old November 1st 09, 08:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

hehehheheheh

I live in a small community populated by descendents of mostly Italian
immigrants. Several years ago, I was in our local grocery store in the
check out line. An older lady in front of me had several bags of groceries
and the check out gal asked 3 young (8-9) year old boys, who were milling
around the pop cooler, if they would carry the groceries out to the lady's
car. They all said yes and grabbed up the bags. I checked out and when I
went out to the car, the boys had finished and the lady was pressing a few
dollars into their hands. They were politely refusing, but she insisted and
they hurried back in the store.

A few minutes later, I was getting gas at the convenience store down the
street and the boys rode past on their bikes. I said, Lucas, what did you
boys buy with all that money? I figured they bought pop and candy. They
were so excited! They had a grocery bag and one of them whipped out a
package wrapped in butcher paper. Luke said, "we got 5 pieces of salami and
3 pieces of cheese!"

Now every one of those boys had plenty of food at home, but they were so
thrilled.

Kids will definitely surprise you.

Cindy

Old November 1st 09, 11:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
ME-Judy[_6_]

We don't have that many kids come by our house (the neighborhood's little
ones are all grown up now! ... but many years ago, we found that one of the
kids down the block had a severe food allergy (something in
?chocolate/nuts/etc.) - so we started the tradition of handing out non-food
items instead (stickers, puzzles, small coloring books - crayons bought
CHEAP at back-to-school sales, little stuff that was cheaper/same cost than
giving out candy bars.) The kids loved it! 'Sides, we got to keep/eat the
candy we'd bought G

ME-Judy

Old November 2nd 09, 01:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in CNY

Every year I close up my house and head to my parents' house to answer
their door. Generally they buy the goodies and I give it out. I like
to give the littlest ones the "good" candy and the older ones get the
"bulk" or cheaper candy. This year with all the rain we only had about
40 or so kids total, (usually by 8pm we have gotten 60-75). We had
tons of candy left over, as it started to get cold and no-one came to
the door past 8:15.

We had a neighbor years ago that gave out pencils. She was a retired
teacher. Another neighbor gave out giant Hershey bars and Tublerone
(sp?). A house a few blocks away gave out cider and donuts, but back
in those days, no-one worried.

I miss the popcorn balls. They were the best.

amy in CNY
Old November 2nd 09, 04:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

I love trick or treaters! Unfortunately, our street is not trick or
treat friendly - no sidewalks, big hills, a flight of stairs up or down
to each and every door is just too much work for the kids.

I was thrilled this year that we got ONE! In the past 11 years the
record is 3 and most years we have none. sigh. Hopefully the next
neighborhood we live in will be better. I just love seeing the kids all
dressed up.

marcella

In article
,

Old November 2nd 09, 04:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
Marcella Peek wrote:

I love trick or treaters! Unfortunately, our street is not trick or
treat friendly - no sidewalks, big hills, a flight of stairs up or down
to each and every door is just too much work for the kids.

I was thrilled this year that we got ONE! In the past 11 years the
record is 3 and most years we have none. sigh. Hopefully the next
neighborhood we live in will be better. I just love seeing the kids all
dressed up.

marcella

When we lived in our former home in a small town in Arizona, it got so
bad that I hated Halloween. Truckloads of people -- not just children --
came to the door, mostly not dressed in costume, mostly not even saying
"trick or treat", mostly just holding out a hand. It was literally a
truckload every couple of minutes for hours. Result? I turned off the
porch light on Halloween and hunkered down, except for taking our two
DDs to friends' and relatives' homes and telling those friends and
relatives to bring their children to our back door.

Now that we live here, I'm again enjoying Halloween. We get a lot of
children -- big and small -- at the door. Most are dressed up, and most
either say "trick or treat" or can be prompted to do so. It's fun again.
Yay!

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old November 2nd 09, 05:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

wrote:
On Nov 1, 6:07=A0am, (NightMist) wrote:

Maybe next year we should add in some muffin mixes or those tubes of
soup mix.

Or you could try some canned broccoli, cauliflower, or brussels
sprouts and see how far they go... *8^P

Oh please that kind of stuff winds up as mathoms even at the food
pantries!

Oh, come on... you had to know I was kidding you back!

....And who besides you and I know what the hell a mathom is
anyway? :-)

Doc, from the mathom house at Michel Delving...

Trick or Treat Bag joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska Quilting 4 July 9th 08 06:56 PM
Trick or Treat Bag joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska Quilting 0 July 9th 08 04:33 PM
Treat or trick anne Needlework 5 March 7th 08 01:41 PM
Trick-or-Treat Bag Pattern Steve Marketplace 0 October 25th 06 06:19 AM
Cute trick or treat story. KJ Quilting 8 November 6th 04 04:37 PM