Fair Isle project

Old May 23rd 04, 03:31 PM
Aud

Default Fair Isle project

Hi Nyssa!
As I live in Norway, I often knit with more than one color at a time;
I knit Norwegian pattern more often than than Fair Isle
I make it as a rule(learned from my mother!LOL!)
that the yarn must not float more than three stitches.
Then you have to "wind it around"/"cross around" the thread
you are knitting with.
This makes a even backside.
But if one color is much darker than the other, you should be aware of
the "right side".
If you wind the yarns at same place several rows after eachother,
you will get a "row" of darker/lighter vertical shade.
Therefor you should shift a bit between the different rows.
It is a bit difficult to explain in English, but I hope you
understand!
AUD ;-))
alrefsnesathotmaildotcom
http://community.webshots.com/user/dual44
Old May 23rd 04, 04:01 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

On 23 May 2004 07:31:21 -0700, Aud wrote:
~gently snipped, just to make an observation:
It is a bit difficult to explain in English, but I hope you
understand!
AUD ;-))
alrefsnesathotmaildotcom
http://community.webshots.com/user/dual44

Aud, you did a fantastic job of explaining it in English!
How many of us English speakers could explain it in Norwegien, eh?
Love,
Noreen

--
http://noreensknitche.weblogs.us/
http://noreensknitche.ceejaycee.net
Old May 23rd 04, 04:11 PM
Nyssa

Aud wrote:

that the yarn must not float more than three stitches.
Then you have to "wind it around"/"cross around" the thread
you are knitting with.
This makes a even backside.
But if one color is much darker than the other, you should be aware of
the "right side".
If you wind the yarns at same place several rows after eachother,
you will get a "row" of darker/lighter vertical shade.
Therefor you should shift a bit between the different rows.
It is a bit difficult to explain in English, but I hope you
understand!
AUD ;-))

Thanks Aud. I understand you quite well. No translation problems
at all. LOL!

I'm doing the wrap thing only on the rows where the float is
more than 3 stitches. My problems are more in the line of the
way I'm wrapping the float; it keeps getting looped around the
working yarn, so I have to stick the left needle under it and
pull it around and back.

The other problem I'm having is twists in the balls of working
yarn. I have to stop halfway through the row and untangle/untwist
the trailing yarns. It would be great if I were making cording,
but it's really annoying to have to stop and untwist constantly.

Any more tips?

Nyssa, untwisting and wrapping
Old May 23rd 04, 05:13 PM
NoraBalcer

Hi Nyssa,

I loved Auds explanation to you as that is how I was taught to do it. I loved
knitting with more than one color, the more the merrier for me. I once made a
Mary Maxim kit with the train on the front and at one time there were more than
twenty colors being used. Now, I would wind the yarn on bobbins instead of
letting them hang down. I always had bobbins in use.

Hugs,

Nora

Old May 24th 04, 08:11 AM
Aud

Nyssa wrote in message ...
Aud wrote:

[...]

Nysa, I knit the continental way,
with the yarn over left hands fingers:
OVER forefinger, UNDER next, OVER ringfinger and UNDER the little
finger.

If I have TWO colores, the second yarn starts OVER THE TWO first
fingers,
and is woven under and over the "rest" of the fingers.

This way
*the yarns (after a little practice :-)keeps their individual tension.
* The yarns lies parallell ower the fingers all the time, and If you
have to wrap/ weave /cross it often, you can vary if you cross "over"
or under".That makes less fuss,(but NEVER prevent it!LOL!)

If I work with THREE colores,
prefer to find a way similar to this,
but many prefer to have the third one in right hand side,
and knit that color the american way!

I do THAT if I have a FOURTH color!!!

If you knit like I have told you,
you have to put attention to the yarn tension,
but that comes with practice.

Earlier we always made our yarn balls ourselves, and they were balls,
rolling along, accross and made a lot of trouble,
a lot more than with ready made balls :-)
We had many different "more or less good" solutins:
Put the different yarns in its own "bowl", and it will be where you
place it.
OR put them in one "plastc bag(?)" and you tie it almost together so
the ball will not fall out, but the yarn comes easily out.
After a round or so, you "UN-BREAD" it.
I just place them in different direction,
and enough separated from eachother, so they do NOT roll around
eachother.
I do NOT think there are any good solutions that prevent all fuss.Then
have to adopt solutions from weaving/knitting factories.
Just now I am WEAVING "hundreds" of loose ends
(small stripe pattern with many colores),
because I did not take the job to do it as I worked!
This is the charme of hand knitting, I think.
AND a lesson ; "How can I do this better nect time."

Good luck!
AUD ;-))

Old May 24th 04, 09:01 AM
Aud

Nyssa wrote in message ...
Aud wrote:

[...]

ALL State Fair Listings Joy Hardie Needlework 8 May 26th 04 12:47 PM
ALL State Fair Listings Joy Hardie Sewing 0 May 24th 04 12:08 PM
Fair Isle project Nyssa Yarn 6 May 23rd 04 11:22 PM
Chiapas Women's Fair Trade Tour visits Washington, DC creative Marketplace 0 October 29th 03 05:31 PM
Chiapas Women's Fair Trade Tour visits Washington, DC creative Needlework 0 October 29th 03 05:20 PM