recommendations?

Old June 12th 06, 08:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Default recommendations?

Okay...a transformer is 'in the mail'...it's a 'table top'
model...300watts. a bit more than your standard tourist transformer..

now that this problem is solved, i'm asking for your recommendations
for a good LIGHT WEIGHT
soldering iron from the US...i've checked the Delphi site and all it
does is confuse me...
you guys work with this stuff...make a suggestion for me please. i
don't think i ever owned an Inland. but Delphi has one on their site
that looks good but requires a temp. regulator...no problem...i'm
willing to go for that too...but do you think that the 300watt
transformer is enough for this equipment?

if you're going to recommend a new iron to me, please also tell me
where i can find it online to place an order...

thanks ...

arlene
my email address is:

Old June 12th 06, 08:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

HI Arlene

On 12 Jun 2006 12:17:17 -0700, wrote:

Okay...a transformer is 'in the mail'...it's a 'table top'
model...300watts. a bit more than your standard tourist transformer..

Sounds like the beast currently lurking under the worktop in my
studio..

now that this problem is solved, i'm asking for your recommendations
for a good LIGHT WEIGHT
soldering iron from the US...i've checked the Delphi site and all it
does is confuse me...
you guys work with this stuff...make a suggestion for me please. i
don't think i ever owned an Inland. but Delphi has one on their site
that looks good but requires a temp. regulator...no problem...i'm
willing to go for that too...but do you think that the 300watt
transformer is enough for this equipment?

I'd recommend the weller 100-watt temperature controlled iron - should
be enough power for you - and it's not a heavy iron (imho)

Noticeably improved solder beads over my old non-controlled iron.

if you're going to recommend a new iron to me, please also tell me
where i can find it online to place an order...

Mine came from a nice guy on eBay - try
http://stores.ebay.com/Cornerstone-S...Glass-Supplies

No connection - satisfied customer etc... g

Regards
Adrian

======return email munged=================
take out the papers and the trash to reply
Old June 12th 06, 09:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

wrote in message
ps.com...
Okay...a transformer is 'in the mail'...it's a 'table top'
model...300watts. a bit more than your standard tourist transformer..

now that this problem is solved, i'm asking for your recommendations
for a good LIGHT WEIGHT
soldering iron from the US...i've checked the Delphi site and all it
does is confuse me...
you guys work with this stuff...make a suggestion for me please. i
don't think i ever owned an Inland.

I use the Inland irons and they are cheap, hot and light. What else could
you want in a woman, err I mean an iron.

--

JK Sinrod
www.sinrodstudios.com

Old June 12th 06, 09:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

"Glassman" wrote in message

wrote in message
ps.com...
Okay...a transformer is 'in the mail'...it's a 'table top'
model...300watts. a bit more than your standard tourist transformer..

now that this problem is solved, i'm asking for your recommendations
for a good LIGHT WEIGHT
soldering iron from the US...i've checked the Delphi site and all it
does is confuse me...
you guys work with this stuff...make a suggestion for me please. i
don't think i ever owned an Inland.

I use the Inland irons and they are cheap, hot and light. What else

could
you want in a woman, err I mean an iron.

--

You've gone and done it now. You best be putting your asbestos shorts
on...the flames are coming.

Old June 12th 06, 09:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

wrote in message
ps.com...
Okay...a transformer is 'in the mail'...it's a 'table top'
model...300watts. a bit more than your standard tourist transformer..

now that this problem is solved, i'm asking for your recommendations
for a good LIGHT WEIGHT
soldering iron from the US...i've checked the Delphi site and all it
does is confuse me...
you guys work with this stuff...make a suggestion for me please. i
don't think i ever owned an Inland. but Delphi has one on their site
that looks good but requires a temp. regulator...no problem...i'm
willing to go for that too...but do you think that the 300watt
transformer is enough for this equipment?

if you're going to recommend a new iron to me, please also tell me
where i can find it online to place an order...

thanks ...

arlene
my email address is:

Inland has an iron that has a temp control built in to it. It has a small
dial on the handle that does regulate the heat. I usually only turn the
temp down when I am working with old, thin, delicate lead that would
vaporize at high temps. I use this iron every day for my on-site repairs.
I think this one is going on 10 years old, and still going strong.

I have the Weller 100P on my workbench. Both of those irons feel about the
same in weight and balance, and you would be happy with either one, I'm
sure.

Old June 12th 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Flames? i don't do flames...
i just made voodoo doll images and do 'gotcha' where it hurts!!!

:-)))))

and Glassman...for YOU the inland is cheap...for me, it's 7,000 miles
between
one that doesn't work and a replacement!

i want something that is servicable, meets my needs and LASTS ....
and lasts...

about the same thing i want in a man.

(hahhaha...now the flames will fly!!)

thanks guys.

ar.

Old June 12th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

what about these 'ceramic' irons...

i hear they are lightweight...but are they any good?

should i definitely buy a temp. regulator?

actually, i probably should...our current is very 'wavy'...
especially out here in the boonies.

what about the ANALOG???

it's damned expensive here...about $300...
should i do it?

ar.

Old June 12th 06, 11:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

wrote in message
ups.com...
what about these 'ceramic' irons...

i hear they are lightweight...but are they any good?

should i definitely buy a temp. regulator?

actually, i probably should...our current is very 'wavy'...
especially out here in the boonies.

what about the ANALOG???

it's damned expensive here...about $300...
should i do it?

ar.

I have no experience with the ceramic irons. I think JavaHut has mentioned
them, maybe he'll comment.

A soldering iron isn't too fussy about AC cycles, that is 50Hz or 60Hz
wouldn't make any difference as the heat is generated just from resistance.
AC cycles are important in motors and the like, as the timing and rotation
of the motor is determined by the frequency of the AC cycles.

Voltage "spikes" or "lows" would be a different story. All voltage varies
throughout the day, but mostly in such a small range as to be unnoticed.
I don't think a temperature controller would solve your problem of voltage
fluctuations in the boonies.

Given what you have said, I think I'd be looking for an iron with an
internal temperature controller (Weller 100P), because a higher or lower
voltage won't radically affect how the iron heats. Ohms law says that if
the resistance (the heating element) is constant, the amount of current
(wattage) is dependent on the voltage applied to the resistance. So, if
your voltage goes up and down through the day, the iron will compensate by
heating longer at low voltages and shutting off the electrical flow sooner
at higher voltages. As long as your electrical supply is within a 10-15%
range, I'm thinking the iron will compensate and you'll never know. It has
a "thermostat" in the tip, so when the tip is below 700F, it pulls current.
At 700F, the sensor opens up and shuts off the current. Wild voltage
fluctuations may make it heat/recover faster or slower, but still within a
usable range.

Old June 13th 06, 12:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

wrote in message
ups.com...
what about the ANALOG???

it's damned expensive here...about $300...
should i do it?

http://www.110220volts.com/Merchant2...Category_Code=
VoltageRegulatorTransformer

This is a transformer that will take your 220v and convert it to 110v and
vice-versa. It also has a voltage regulator to "clip" the voltage spikes.
They are available in many different power ratings, a 1000 watt one would
run an iron and a grinder with no problems. Not a kiln!!!

Old June 13th 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

i swear by the inland studio pro iron. They take a licking..... i keep two
hot for faster soldering and at 18$ or so each they are definitely not
costly. If you are not currently doing wholesale purchasing, try
Glasscrafters.com. They may be willing to set you up at lower than retail
prices even tho you are just getting started. m