Best professional soldering iron??

Old April 27th 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Default Best professional soldering iron??

wrote in message
oups.com...
I recommend against using a controller but don't try to force people to
work only with our methods or our choice of tools - even when they're
making poor choices. Everyone choses their own personal way to do
everything. I think a controller (any controller) SNUP. Instead of
cutting down the incoming power, you should learn to increase the speed
at which you work. Even with a dinky little Hakko, you can solder at
full temperature. You just can't do it for long before it bags out.
The Weller will hold up a bit longer, but not much.

We even have a few naive individuals in our Cutting Clinics that still
like to cut up scraps of paper for templates to cut glass. We try hard
(VERY hard) to convince them those paper bits are a total waste of time
and paper, but some seem happy dicking about with them so we leave them
to their time wasting practices. It's their time, why would I care if
they use it foolishly? .....whether with an underpowered soldering
iron, or a needlessly complicated cutting practice.

I think Weller's are superior to Hakko 456 (60 watts is completely
inadequate) and inferior to medium and large Hexacons. I think the
Weller and Hakko are suitable for small jobs only. I consider both to
have insufficient power to be adequate for professional studio use on
other than small jobs. We use the Wellers for 3D models and Hexacons
for everything else. The most effective way to convince someone that
the Weller or Hakko is inferior is give them an opporunity to try out
the Hexacon. It's also the most effective way to sell a Hexacon.

YOU are so full of ****, your eyes are brown.

Old April 27th 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

I have been using inland studio pro 100 watts for years. I keep 2 hot and
switch as they cool, but they are lighter (less fatigue) than the higher
watt irons and last a good while for the price but i haven't a clue as to
the 220-240 capability, m

Old April 27th 06, 02:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

"Javahut" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

Tell it like it IS, bro!!

Old April 27th 06, 02:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

wrote in message
[...]

Go here, read this,
http://www.hakkousa.com/techDoc/Tech...TN00000029.pdf and no, we are not
making circuit boards, but common sense is the same , regardless.
And Hakko irons are available world wide.
To qualify what was said about Hexacons, which applies to American Beautys
also, and probably the large Esico's, (Cooper Tools are not my favorites,
Weller), they have their uses. Soldering the large Center castings on
Tiffany Repro Wisterias , etc, or soldering copper roof parts together for
dormers on a house! That's about it.
I use the Hakko 456 to solder 1/8" x 1/2" STEEL rebars, and lots of softer
metals. We build copper came, brass came and zinc came windows often,
copper foil lamp shades, on molds and off, 3/16 brass rod rims, there are
not many chores that this iron cannot handle. It will out work most people
that use them, the tip gets dirty with cheap solder and a slow operator.

As far as the cracks about patterns, not worth the effort of a reply.
Consider the source here, I don't sell tools, I use 'em.

Those that can, DO, those that can't teach, and peddle their wares like a
snake oil salesman...

Old April 27th 06, 02:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

wrote in message
oups.com...
I recommend against using a controller but don't try to force people to
work only with our methods or our choice of tools - even when they're
making poor choices. Everyone choses their own personal way to do
everything. I think a controller (any controller) SNUP.

Then, why don't you practice what you preach? Lying asshole, you have 2
controllers in plain view in your "classroom" photo. If you don't reccomend
them, why are they out on the table? Or would you rather sell them to
unsuspecting "students" and fleece them some more?

Instead of
cutting down the incoming power, you should learn to increase the speed
at which you work.

Would that be at your "turbo speed" of 18"/second? Bwahaaah!

Even with a dinky little Hakko, you can solder at
full temperature. You just can't do it for long before it bags out.
The Weller will hold up a bit longer, but not much.

I have yet to see anything that a Weller 100 couldn't do...all day long.

I think Weller's are superior to Hakko 456 (60 watts is completely
inadequate) and inferior to medium and large Hexacons. I think the
Weller and Hakko are suitable for small jobs only. I consider both to
have insufficient power to be adequate for professional studio use on
other than small jobs. We use the Wellers for 3D models and Hexacons
for everything else. The most effective way to convince someone that
the Weller or Hakko is inferior is give them an opporunity to try out
the Hexacon. It's also the most effective way to sell a Hexacon.

I can't think of a single job that I've done in the past 20+ years that a
100w Weller couldn't handle. I admit that I've not always been happy with
Weller's QC, and some of the irons haven't lasted as long as I thought they
should, but even at that, I can buy 4 Wellers for what I'd have to pay for
one Hexacon, and who wants to lug that heavy-ass awkward Hexacon around?
It's heavy, the balance is all wrong. Maybe if I were a tinsmith soldering
galvanized gutters, one of those hogs might be useful. For SG it is as
useless as a WBSander.

Old April 27th 06, 02:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

I have used a weller for yrs, I have in the past paid more then I should
for"the idea" iron to have them go bad so back the cheap weller and it
has lasted me for at least 8 yrs, now to get voltage that you need,
start looking for shop's over there where you are now on the internet,
I'm sure they are hanging on the wall just like here

Old April 27th 06, 03:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Here's the catalog of tools and supplies we sell. Look hard and see if
you can find a controller or any such useless devices being offered for
sale.
http://www.victorianartglass.biz/

Interesting that someone you think is so lacking in knowledge sells so
many books on how to do stained glass and consistently sells out all
the classes he teaches. We're already booking for Victorian GlassFest
next September. Watch for my new soon to distributed book on
kilnforming.

Dennis Brady

DeBrady Glass
www.debrady.com

Victorian Art Glass
www.victorianartglass.biz

Glass Campus
www.glasscampus.com

Old April 27th 06, 03:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Dennis Brady...will YOU ship supplies to me in Turkey? Your site
doesn't seem to indicate that possibility. I seriously want to get a
Hexacon 155H iron. the more i look at the logo, the more i think that's
what i had back in the US...I also need a good quality grinder.

someone (maybe you) said that switching the plug wouldn't be a problem
with the Hexacon...i'm willing to give it a go...

Please let me know ASAP.

thanks

Old April 27th 06, 04:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

I will ship anything to anywhere. Although we've not yet shipped to
Turkey, we routinely ship glass and assorted tools and supplies to
various other European countries.

However, I suggest you first check to confirm this iron will work
there. I suspect it's more complicated than just changing the plug.
I'll contact Hexacon tomorrow and see what they say. Does electrical
equipment from UK work properly in Turkey?

Old April 27th 06, 04:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

wrote in message .biz/

Interesting that someone you think is so lacking in knowledge sells so
many books on how to do stained glass and consistently sells out all
the classes he teaches. We're already booking for Victorian GlassFest
next September. Watch for my new soon to distributed book on
kilnforming.

Yup, you've become the P.T. Barnum of the glass biz, complete with enough
manure to fill a freight train.