Question for the knitters of sock inside sock

Old February 26th 06, 05:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Question for the knitters of sock inside sock

Ever since i read about the knitting of one sock in the other ,, i
have had this question
When i used to knit with seams i used to knit 2 sleeves side by side
to keep increases and decreases at same rows ,, now that i knit
seamless , i make 1 sleeve at a time , now Could i knit one sleeve in
the other , and by this avoid loads of recounting?
How do i kniw which stich goes to which sock/sleeve , do i knit one
inside out and one on the outside and by this know all p are 1 sleeve
all knit are second sleeve ? do i have on my needles 1 stich from 1
and 2nd stich from 2nd ??? i feel it is worth my while exploring these
??? any advice from the sock in sock makers ?
mirjam

Old February 26th 06, 10:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In article ,
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
Ever since i read about the knitting of one sock in the other ,, i
have had this question
When i used to knit with seams i used to knit 2 sleeves side by side
to keep increases and decreases at same rows ,, now that i knit
seamless , i make 1 sleeve at a time , now Could i knit one sleeve in
the other , and by this avoid loads of recounting?

Yes.

How do i know which stich goes to which sock/sleeve , do i knit one
inside out and one on the outside and by this know all p are 1 sleeve
all knit are second sleeve ?

Yes.

do i have on my needles 1 stich from 1 and 2nd stich from 2nd ?

Yes.

It's probably simplest if you purl the outside sleeve and knit the
inside sleeve, carrying the outside yarn in one hand and the inside
yarn in the other hand. Otherwise you have to be really alert to
be sure you don't cross the yarns and tie the two sleeves together.

When people are first learning, sometimes they knit one in one
color and the other in a different color to make it easy to tell
which yarn is which. (Do it twice and have two pairs of socks.)

I've played with it a little, but I haven't made socks. Using it
for sleeves sounds like a very good idea - no heels to worry about,
and the shoulder shaping is at the end, not in the middle like a heel.

=Tamar
Old February 27th 06, 05:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Thank you Tamar actually i have no shoulder bit , this time this are
the end parts of a shrug,,,, i am still worries since i made some lacy
pattern and it might get mixs when i have to to the k2 tog, or the sl
over k thing ,,,, ,, but i am determined to TRY it ,,, since i always
knit sleeves downwards ,, there would be no shoulder problem, but also
no 2 color bit ,,,,, but i feel i might like it since i like knitting
2 rows [almost ] at the same time ...
mirjam

Old March 1st 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

I saw this post but I am not familiar with this method of knitting two socks
at once. I have knitted two socks next to each other on the one needle, but
never one inside the other. Is there a link where I could see what this
looks like?

TIA
--

Cheryl

Old March 1st 06, 09:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In article ,
Cheryl in OZ wrote:
I saw this post but I am not familiar with this method of knitting two socks
at once. I have knitted two socks next to each other on the one needle, but
never one inside the other. Is there a link where I could see what this
looks like?

I think if you Google for "parlour trick socks" you ought to find one.
There's a Yahoo group for "double knitting" that is about this kind
of work, and I think that's what one member called it on her website.

=Tamar
Old March 2nd 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Well - hunted but came up with zilch. But since I have more than enough
projects to keep me busy this is not a loss LOL

TVM anyway
--
Cats ^;;^ ^;;^ ^;;^
( U ) ( U ) ( U )

"Cheryl in OZ" wrote in message
TVM
--

Cheryl in Oz
cawaitesATnetconnectDOTcomDOTau

Old March 2nd 06, 01:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

http://www.socknitters.com/2circs/index.htm
http://webdesignsbybarb.com/tostetoe...eedletoeup.htm
http://www.queenkahuna-creations.com...lohacaston.pdf

Old March 2nd 06, 01:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Thanks Stella - I use the methods described here.

I was hoping to see a site with the method that uses two yarns at once. But
the methods I use now are easy enough to require little or no concentration
so I think I will stick with them.

Old March 2nd 06, 10:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In article ,
Cats wrote:
Well - hunted but came up with zilch. But since I have more than enough
projects to keep me busy this is not a loss LOL

Well, you might have had a little more luck if I'd spelled it the other way,
"parlor trick socks".

There are some photographs at
http://happyskein.canalblog.com
and there are some instructions in the archives at
http://ccrfuzzy.typepad.com
but you have to check December for the first hints and January for the
"part two" instructions. I can't find anything actually labeled
"part one".
The double-knitting group is at
http://groups.yahoo.com
The group files have the instructions for the four different ways to
work the basic kind of double-knitting, but the instructions for the
sock gussets and so on (with photographs) are on the weblogs.

Note: the photographs of two socks joined at the tops are just a way to
demonstrate that there really are two socks there; you actually knit them
one inside the other. (It's also how you check to be sure you haven't
accidentally connected them.)

There was mention made of a Magic DoubleKnit Socks KAL but it wasn't
a real link; I think they were just referring to the Yahoogroup.

"Richard Eney" wrote

Old March 3rd 06, 04:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In article ,
Cats wrote:
-=-=-=-=-=-

Thanks so much for all the references. I did check them all
but I can't honestly say I understand the method any better
than before. And as the most quoted book referenced is VERY
expensive (if you can find one) I don't think I
will ever get to see a copy of it (one copy was listed at US$1800+!!).

Yikes! That's crazy! Every so often I see a book on abebooks.com
that I'm pretty sure is just priced so the owner never really has
to sell it... If Beverly Royce's book is actually selling that high,
I'd better rent a safety deposit box for my knitting books.

I have done double knitting before but I cannot find an explanation of
how to work the heels so I seem doomed to remain "in the dark" - LOL.

You do the heels exactly as you do regular heels, but with the double-
knitting method. The trickiest part is when you have to decrease,
because you take the 4 stitches involved off the needle, rearrange them,
and put them back on with stitches on the same sock next to each other
(instead of every-other-one), then do the decrease (so then you're back
to every-other-one).

Mind you, I haven't tried it yet either. I had enough trouble trying
a simple tube, though I did manage to knit a toy octopus.

B.Royce did a whole lot of taking the stitches entirely off the needles
and rearranging them to make it easy to do the shaping.

As I said - I have more than enough projects to keep me busy so this will
just have to remain a "one day" plan. But I do thank you for your efforts
to enlighten my ignorance.

There are some photographs at
http://happyskein.canalblog.com
and there are some instructions in the archives at
http://ccrfuzzy.typepad.com
but you have to check December for the first hints and January for the
"part two" instructions. I can't find anything actually labeled
"part one".

If anyone's interested, I found it:

Part one was reposted on
http://www.southern.edu/~williams/handknit/socksba.txt

Part three was posted on
http://www.keyway.net/crafts

And the basic knit-slip or slip-purl technique is in Mary Thomas's
Knitting Book, though her instructions add an unnecessary extra yo
and an unnecessary garter stitch edge. If you put an even number of
stitches on the double-pointed needle and work one yarn by alternately
knitting the stitch in back and slipping the stitch in front purlwise,
you'll get a simple tube. Then all you have to do is set up two tubes,
one inside the other, on four (or five) dpns, with stitches alternating,
and remember to always use the one yarn for knitting the inside sock
and the other for purling the outside sock. It takes practice and
perseverance (and pickiness) and checking every so often to be sure
you didn't accidentally cross the yarns, but there are several people
on the yahoo-group who are working their way through a pair of socks.
The "easy" way is to use light yarn for one and dark for the other,
so you have to do it twice to get two complete pairs.

The double-knitting group is at
http://groups.yahoo.com

It's on my "to do" list...

=Tamar

Question: Sock Pattern Help Needed C. Mathews Yarn 8 January 15th 04 02:38 PM
Sock (really knitting!) newbie question Jean Early Yarn 2 January 8th 04 05:25 PM
a sock question - kitchener stitch? Elizabeth Yarn 3 December 6th 03 10:26 PM
sock question Careydwyn Yarn 1 November 24th 03 04:24 AM
Idle sock question spampot Yarn 1 July 4th 03 03:28 AM