AUGUST'S BLOCKS - 2005-2006 RCTQ Block-of-the-Month (BOM)

Old August 3rd 05, 01:34 AM
Melissa in NJ

Default AUGUST'S BLOCKS - 2005-2006 RCTQ Block-of-the-Month (BOM)

Sorry these were a little late!!!

NOTE: If you want to skip ahead to the August blocks and skip the background
info, August's blocks are at the very end of this post.

Melissa in NJ

=======================
RCTQ BOM Background Info:
=======================
How this BOM works is that I post two block patterns each month near the
beginning of each month. One pieced and one applique. They are all free on
the Internet. It is up to you whether you would like to do the pieced block
or the applique block (or both!). You will work at your own pace over the
course of each month. You keep your blocks. You do not mail them to me.
At the end of the year you will have twelve blocks to set into a quilt. You
keep the quilt. You do not mail it to me. You will then have your very own
2005-2006 RCTQ BOM Quilt. At that time I will collect pictures of the
finished quilts so we can all see how different each quilt looks even though
we all started with the same block patterns. When I announce a month's block
patterns, I will also include the previous months' as well so if you decide
to join along the way you will have all the blocks. Pieced blocks will be
12" in size and applique blocks will be 8" in size. This is driven by what
is available for free on the Internet. Feel free to size up/down if you so
chose.

==============
Monthly Pictures:
==============
To see pictures of each month's completed blocks navigate to the following
URL (Thanks Teri!):
http://gallery.ppwp.com/gallery/RCTQ-BOM
To submit pictures, email Teri at: teri at terbear dot com

At the end of the BOM year I'll create a gallery website for the completed
quilts.

============
BOM Schedule:
============
This BOM runs from February 2005 through March 2006. This is how the
schedule breaks down:
February 2005-January 2006: Monthly blocks
February 2006: Completing the Top (setting, sashing, borders, etc.)
March 2006: Completing the Quilt (quilting, binding, labeling, etc.) - Done!

====================
Previous Months' Blocks:
====================

FEBRUARY:
---------------------------
Pieced (12" finished):
http://www.quilterscache.com/V_Z/Wat...tionBlock.html

Applique (8" finished):
http://www.quilterscache.com/D_F/FolkFeathersBlock.html

MARCH:
---------------------------
Pieced (12" finished):
http://www.quilterscache.com/A_C/AntiqueTileBlock.html

Applique (8" finished):
http://quiltmaker.com/patterns/patt99/
The instructions are for a 6" block with very little whitespace around the
design, just make your background fabric 8" (finished) rather than 6", or if
you want, size up the block on a copier to 133%. NOTE: If you want to keep
the same look to the applique blocks, piece the background in the same
manner as you did for February's block, as I don't think any of the future
applique ones specify that type of background.

APRIL:
---------------------------
Pieced (12" finished):
http://www.quilterscache.com/S_U/TwistingStarBlock.html
NOTE: This one uses templates. If you'd prefer not to fiddle with templates
(I didn't!!) do the following instead. Pattern tested by me to make sure
this works:
A (Color 1): 5 1/8" squares. Make 2. Cut diagonally to make triangles.
B (Color 2): 5 3/8" squares. Make 2. Cut diagonally to make triangles.
C (Color 2): 3" squares. Make 2. Cut diagonally to make triangles.
D (Color 3): 7 1/4" x 2" rectangles. Make 8. Cut 45 degrees off ends to make
trapezoids.
E (Color 1): 2 3/8" squares. Make 2. Cut diagonally to make triangles.

Applique (8" finished) - Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader to view (PDF):
http://home.comcast.net/~quiltngryhn...TQAprilBom.pdf
NOTE: If you want to keep the same look to the applique blocks, piece the
background in the same manner as you did for February's block.

MAY:
---------------------------
Pieced (12" finished):
http://www.quilterscache.com/P_R/PrairieQueenBlock.html

Applique (8" finished) - Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader to view (PDF):
http://home.comcast.net/~quiltngryhn...RCTQMayBom.pdf
NOTE: If you want to keep the same look to the applique blocks, piece the
background in the same manner as you did for February's block.

JUNE:
---------------------------
Pieced (12" finished):
http://www.quilterscache.com/J_L/Lad...ake2Block.html

Applique (8" finished):
http://www.quilterscache.com/S_U/Sta...centBlock.html
NOTE: If you want to keep the same look to the applique blocks, piece
the background in the same manner as you did for February's block.

JULY:
---------------------------
Pieced (12" finished):
http://www.quilterscache.com/A_C/Cas...eAirBlock.html

Applique (8" finished) - Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader to view (PDF):
http://home.comcast.net/~quiltngryhn...CTQJulyBom.pdf
NOTE: If you want to keep the same look to the applique blocks, piece the
background in the same manner as you did for February's block.

====================
August's Blocks:
====================
Pieced (12" finished):
http://www.quilterscache.com/P_R/Pra...hardBlock.html

Applique (8" finished):
http://quiltmaker.com/patterns/patt171/
The instructions are for a 6" block with very little whitespace around the
design, just make your background fabric 8" (finished) rather than 6", or if
you want, size up the block on a copier to 133%. NOTE: If you want to keep
the same look to the applique blocks, piece the background in the same
manner as you did for February's block.

Have fun!!!!!
Melissa in NJ

Old August 3rd 05, 01:54 AM
Donna

Thanks, Melissa!! My life is calming down some so I hope I can catch up on
RCTQ and Thimbleberries BOM's!!
BTW, you do a great job choosing the blocks!

--
Donna in NE La.

Old August 3rd 05, 02:12 AM
Nann Hilyard

First you keep us waiting for a day and then you make us scroll allllll the
way to the end to get the blocks.
vbg
What a way to test our patience!

Nann
off to the studio, printout in hand

"

Old August 3rd 05, 02:24 AM
maryd

Better late than never. Thanks, Melissa

--
Mary

:

Old August 3rd 05, 02:55 AM
Melissa in NJ

Thank you!!! I am trying to keep a unified look to all the blocks. The only
one I am not loving is June's applique. It doesn't seem to fit the folky
look that is forming. I am toying around with the idea of chosing a
replacement June and having everyone (if they want) use the existing June a
label on the back. I'll poll the group and see what they think

Melissa in NJ

--
Pics of My Quilts:
http://community.webshots.com/user/quiltngryhndlady

Quilt Something for Yourself!
--
Remove STOPCRAP to reply
--

news Thanks, Melissa!! My life is calming down some so I hope I can catch up on

Old August 3rd 05, 03:23 AM
Nann Hilyard

It's finished and photographed. Sent the picture to Teri, but also have it
he
http://community.webshots.com/user/nbhilyard in the BOM 2005 Album.

I keep the common fabric (by Robert Kaufman), the finished blocks, and the
block pattern printouts in a plastic shoebox for easy retrieval. My current
project is made out of brights (tentative name: Star Bright) so the brights
are close at hand, too.

Nann
who is NOT doing the applique block

Old August 3rd 05, 04:33 AM
Taria

My kids would call you an overachiever Nann ; )
They all look great. Thanks for sharing.
Taria

Old August 3rd 05, 05:34 AM
DrQuilter

you know, Melissa, I stopped at that one with the feeling they didn't go
together, like I mentioned before.. maybe changing june was all that is
needed!

Melissa in NJ wrote:

Thank you!!! I am trying to keep a unified look to all the blocks. The only
one I am not loving is June's applique. It doesn't seem to fit the folky
look that is forming. I am toying around with the idea of chosing a
replacement June and having everyone (if they want) use the existing June a
label on the back. I'll poll the group and see what they think

Melissa in NJ

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)
Old August 3rd 05, 07:58 AM
Patti

Thanks very much Melissa.
What's a couple of days. No problem at all.
..
In message , Melissa in NJ
writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill

July BOM joysjane Quilting 6 June 30th 05 05:08 PM
EVIL SUNBONNET SUE BLOCK SWAP georg Quilting 0 June 1st 05 08:55 PM
ANNOUNCING OFFICIALLY - 2005-2006 RCTQ Block-of-the-Month (February's Blocks) Melissa in NJ Quilting 77 March 1st 05 06:32 PM
Questions for Hug Hostesses Lizzy Taylor Quilting 80 August 29th 04 06:47 PM
HUGs & Blocks from Newbies :-) Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Quilting 6 April 18th 04 03:44 PM