Confiscated raggedy ole quilt

Old August 26th 03, 11:30 PM
Shelly

Default Confiscated raggedy ole quilt

A few weeks ago, I was able to confiscate my cousin's ole quilt that was in
need of so many repairs that it has to just be enclosed in another top and
backing, then quilted. His wife took me to a bedroom and pulled out this
heavy ole quilt and it was the biggest mess I'd ever seen in a quilt.
Pitiful!! She told me that Donnie wouldn't part with it because my GGM had
made it specially for him many, many years ago. I told her I'd take it and
fix it for him.
My cousin was outside with the men at the time. We walked out, quilt in my
arms and he had a fit! I told him "Look what Linda just gave me!" WHAT did I
say that for? lol He lit into me first and then her for telling me I could
have the quilt. lol This is a man going on 50, acting like a 4 yr old, all
over his quilt! Very funny to me. I stood there laughing at him the whole
time and that was only making him madder. BEG When Linda finally got him
quieted down for a minute, she explained to dear cousin that I was only
taking the quilt to redo it and that I'd leave Mama Cotton's work inside the
quilt as is. He started laughing then and told me that I got him that time
and I should never have done him that way. I told him I just couldn't resist
it at the time. lol I have the quilt and will be repairing it soon and
returning it to him. ;o)
Shelly

---

Old August 27th 03, 02:06 AM
Polly Esther

I think before I approached that project, I would faint. Next, I'd probably
seek out the finest grade of sheer batiste I could find - maybe Nelona but
that one may have a sheen to it and not be the one, I'd see what Martha
Pullen's Sew Beautiful has or another heirloom place. I would also check out
the Witness Protection Program in case you have to go in hiding.
A very interesting challenge, Shelly. What do you cover it with? Polly

Old August 27th 03, 03:08 AM
Shelly

I haven't decided what I'm going to do with it yet. lol I'll more likely
than not, be making a new top for it. It would, I know, be much easier to
just buy a whole cloth for both the sides but, it is a very old quilt that
my great grand made him and I kinda want to keep it looking like the quilt
that he loves. You wouldn't believe some of the fabric she has in this ole
quilt. It weighs a TON. I think that there is some sort of velour or
something used for the backing. Not really velour but something similar.
Kinda like she used some sort of ole blanket or something as a backing. She
was infamous for using anything she could get her hands on to quilt up. ;o)
Very frugal and practical. What ever I put on it I want to look sorta like
something that my great grandma would have done herself and would have
approved of. ;o) I'm sure that my cousin will love it. It's not often that
anyone takes the time to do something special like this for him but I love
him to pieces! He is the family black sheep but a very lovable clown to me.
BG I'm sure I'll use cotton, cotton and more cotton and let the old quilt
be the batting. I'm not about to finish taking this quilt apart. It's
practically already there! I'll keep you posted when I start working on it
and let you know how it's going.
Shelly
link.net...