the price of glass

Old May 3rd 06, 10:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Default the price of glass

It's been years since I purchased glass (i'm in the process of setting
up a new studio
over here in Western Turkey) I'm no longer living in the USA. and I
don't know what things
cost back there these days.
I just found someone in the country selling glass sheets at
about $45-55 a square meter...I'm guessing that this is your 'average'
opaque glass
not some specialty glass but I won't know till I see samples..

What's glass selling for these days in Europe...or even in the USA?

Would it make any better sense to order glass from Europe and pay the
shipping
to get it here? I would imagine that the price would come out about the
same.

What do you think?

arlene

Old May 3rd 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

HI Arlene

On 3 May 2006 14:46:46 -0700, wrote:

It's been years since I purchased glass (i'm in the process of setting
up a new studio
over here in Western Turkey) I'm no longer living in the USA. and I
don't know what things
cost back there these days.
I just found someone in the country selling glass sheets at
about $45-55 a square meter...I'm guessing that this is your 'average'
opaque glass
not some specialty glass but I won't know till I see samples..

What's glass selling for these days in Europe...or even in the USA?

Would it make any better sense to order glass from Europe and pay the
shipping
to get it here? I would imagine that the price would come out about the
same.

What do you think?

Prices vary a fair bit in my experience. You could take a look at
http://www.tempsfordstainedglass.co....GLASS__11.html
to get an idea - and I'm sure if you emailed Freddie at Tempsford he'd
be only too pleased to give you a shipping quote.

When I can, I much prefer to select my glass 'in person' - especially
if it includes a good 'rummage' through the 'sale' bins either at
Tempsford or at Trinity in Norwich - sometimes find perfectly good
stuff at a couple of quid per square foot....

As with all things - there will be a point at which you pay the least
shipping for the most glass - ask your friendly dealer for details of
the price / weight shipping bands, and then buy strategically !

Hope this helps
Adrian
Suffolk UK
======return email munged=================
take out the papers and the trash to reply
Old May 4th 06, 06:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Hi Adrian,
I totally agree with you. I'd much prefer to pick out glass 'in
person'..
however, that's not at all feasible...infact, it's totally out of the
question.

i just hope i can afford to ship in a large enough quantity of glass to
last me...i don't want to run out in the middle of a project!!!

i will take your suggestion and see if Tempsford can meet my
requirements.

i'm really chompin' at the bit to get started...my only limitation
right now is money...but that too will be resolved soon.

thanks for your help.

arlene

Old May 4th 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

hi again.
yes, that's what i'm now looking into...'sample sets'

someone in Istanbul has located a company that sells glass...
he found opaque glass for me...the company is willing to send
me samples...this will help enormously. looking at photos of
glass on the Internet isn't quite the same as feeling, touching,
examining the glass in person, is it?

let's see what i can do locally -- if it's satisfactory, okay..i'll
do it...if not, then i have to look outside the country.

i'm really 'itching' to get started..i can hardly sleep at night
because
in my mind i'm planning and designing and constructing the new studio
layout.

i must learn patience...it's a virtue i'm not very good at yet!!

i'll keep tempsford on my list though...thank you thank you!!

arlene

Information on glass dust hazards Kalera Stratton Beads 4 March 4th 05 11:35 PM
Wine Scented-Wine glass Candle Set! Awsome Price! Diana L. Tucker General Crafting 0 February 18th 04 05:03 PM
glas FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 October 16th 03 07:50 PM
Old glass receipts Matthew Spong Glass 0 July 4th 03 01:06 PM
Ad: Furnace Glass at a great price! Paula Hunter Beads 3 July 3rd 03 04:33 PM