Janome 6600

Old August 30th 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

Default Janome 6600

OK, Sparky, I went downstairs and played with the free-motion looking
stitches. I also browsed around the Yahoo group an got their scoop.

Yes, the manual says to do these with the feed dogs down. Yes, many on
the group report success. Well, when I did it, the machine beeped at me
and told me to put them back up. sigh.

When doing any of the three patterns 61, 62 or 63 I had better success
with the feed dogs up. I did ignore the machine and also do them with
the feed dogs down but, well, unless I had steady hands it was rather a
mess.

Everyone on the group who tried it as well as when I tried it found that
you have to just sew in a straight line. You cannot free motion those
patterns or you will get an ugly mess. The determination is that they
are stitching patterns that are supposed to look like free-motion not
stitches to use when free motion quilting (i.e. you cannot quilt in
every direction with them and have it look right)

Hope this helps
marcella
Old August 30th 06, 03:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sparky

Yes, thanks for your advice. I'll try them with the feed dogs up, but
I'd still love to know why that pathetic manual says to put the feed
dogs down. The way it puts it made me think that something terrible
would happen if I left the feed dogs up.

Another thing I seem to have "discovered" is that the walking foot can
be used with many patterns, not just straight stitching.

After paying way too much for this machine, I'd still be in heaven if I
could give someone $100 for a book that explains everything about it!

Old August 30th 06, 05:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

In article . com,
"Sparky" wrote:

Yes, thanks for your advice. I'll try them with the feed dogs up, but
I'd still love to know why that pathetic manual says to put the feed
dogs down. The way it puts it made me think that something terrible
would happen if I left the feed dogs up.

Another thing I seem to have "discovered" is that the walking foot can
be used with many patterns, not just straight stitching.

Depends on the stitch. Some of the "denser" thread ones will hang up.

One thing that is good to do is to get a piece of fabric and either
heavy interfacing or just make a quilt sandwich and do a stitch sampler.
Work your way through every stitch on the machine. It's a nicer
reference than the book for sure.

After paying way too much for this machine, I'd still be in heaven if I
could give someone $100 for a book that explains everything about it!

After this, you could likely do it! I know many on the list who would
buy it.

marcella

Janome 6600 Sparky Quilting 18 August 30th 06 08:49 PM
OT (mostly) - Janome 6600 List Rita in MA Quilting 2 July 21st 06 12:39 AM
SewingTrader - Janome (Cards, stand, videos etc) Auctions ending Sunday 24th SewingTrader Marketplace 0 August 24th 03 02:58 PM
Sewingtrader Ebay auctions - Machine Embroidery and Machine Knititng items. DS Sewing 3 July 25th 03 05:17 PM
Current Ebay Auctions - offerings DS Needlework 2 July 24th 03 10:56 PM