Visiting

Old November 14th 03, 06:55 PM
~Barbra~

Default Visiting

I've been a lurker on this group for a while, and as it seems you guys are
mostly US folk, thought maybe one of you (or more) could answer my question.
I'm visiting Los Angles ------ well, closer to Santa Monica over Xmas, and
wondered if there were any * must not miss* yarn shops in and around?

Thanks for reading

Barbra

Old November 15th 03, 12:06 AM
Sarah Grace

Barbra wrote
I've been a lurker on this group for a while, and as it seems you guys are
mostly US folk, thought maybe one of you (or more) could answer my question.
I'm visiting Los Angles ------ well, closer to Santa Monica over Xmas, and
wondered if there were any * must not miss* yarn shops in and around?

Hi Babra and welcome to this amazing NG. I am UK based but i did spend several
weeks forcing my family to visit every conceivable yarn store between Santa
Barbara and LA. If you google you can probably find a comprehensive list for
California such as this:
http://www.uniquekolours.com/Retail%...hops%20A-C.htm

My personal favourite in the area was Velona needlecrafts- it is in Anaheim
hills which is a bit of a drive from Santa Monica but definitely worth it. I
would advise taking a wish list as they probably will have much of what you
want and there is so much it is easy to forget.

There is at least 1 place in Santa Monica- it is WIldfiber (www.wildfiber.com).
Sadly due to the ineptitude of a friend (we lost 2 hours of potential ys time
because she arranged a meeting in Cracker Barrel but meant Sur La Table - no i
am not bitter LOLOL) i didn't get to go- probably for the best as it gave me
more money for Velona

Have a great time!
Regards
Sarah
Old November 15th 03, 04:42 PM
~Barbra~

Hello Sarah, how funny another UK based person should answer my plea
But, thanks so much for the yarn url's. Incidentally, did you find the
Knitting books any cheaper in the US? I have several which I want, but
thought I'd wait .

Take care

Barbra
Barbra wrote

Old November 18th 03, 12:35 AM
Sarah Grace

Barbra wrote:
Hello Sarah, how funny another UK based person should answer my plea

LOL- i guess visitors tend to seek out every possible shop. I certainly did,
helped by the fact that the rest of the family were indecisive- "let's save the
arguments about where to go and just pop to this store..." lol

But, thanks so much for the yarn url's. Incidentally, did you find the
Knitting books any cheaper in the US? I have several which I want, but
thought I'd wait .

I did buy a lot of books there because i hadn't seen any in the stores i
frequent here. So i made a wish list and hunted out every book on it- none in
any used stores though (and i did go to lots of those too). I bought lots of
the classics like all the the EZ books (great holiday reading), some Spin Offs
and IKs (there are lots of mags).

I think i probably did get the books for less (and i saw all 4 of the Walker
treasury at a good price at Velona) but of course had to schlep them back. But
i definitely got hold of books that would be nigh on impossible to find here.
Interestingly, though, the Folk socks book- which i struggled to find and then
ran out of money- i managed to buy in the UK through P&M Woolcraft for £10.95
($21.95 cover price) which indicated that not everything is cheaper in the US.

I suppose my experience was that the books and equipment were really great, the
yarn was interesting -most didn't inspire me to go crazy...but some i hanker
after still now.

Regards
Sarah

Old November 18th 03, 10:59 AM
~Barbra~

Maybe cos we have that *extra* cash floating around at Holiday time, we buy
more than we should?

I have a *wish list* already to print off ..........lol

I figured as I'm taking Books out to California, that I'd be able to replace
with nice knitting and craft books. So far I have 8 going out.........hmmmmm
maybe need to add one or two to the wish list !!!!