Singer featherweight, newer model vs. older model

Old April 28th 04, 03:37 PM
Dr. Quilter

you don't want the new FW. don't look at all like a 1950ish model, all
plastic. only common feature besides the name is their weight, I think.

Smee wrote:

Wait a minnit! There are NEW featherweights?? Where can I take a look at
them?

Smee

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens

Old April 28th 04, 03:42 PM
Polly Esther

Oh. Thank you Roberta. I never thought of curtains. In fact, I never think
of curtains. Phooey. Polly

"Roberta Zollner" wrote in message
They must think we like to sew curtains or something :-p
Roberta in D, curtain fabric waiting in a bag, brain waiting for a mental
kick in the butt

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
link.net...
I'm puzzled about the need for speed too. My Bernina man says that the

1230
sews much faster than newer models. I wondered why anyone would care.
Inquiring minds want to know. Polly

"Sandy Foster" wrote in message
In article ,
(Beth Pierce) wrote:

I am getting involved in quilting classes at my local quilting store
and am considering a lightweight machine to take to and from class.
I've been looking at the new featherweights, and see that they are

10
lbs., which is a "workable" weight. The question I have is, does
anyone know how many stitches per minute the machine does?

Also, if you have an older featherweight, 1950's type model, would

you
happen to know the stitches per minute for that one? I am basing my
purchase on how fast the machines are. I could take my old Touch

and
Sew, but that one's a little heavy.

Thanks for your help!

I've seen one of the new FWs, and I didn't care for it. It didn't do a
nice stitch, like the old ones do. YMMV, of course.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

Old April 28th 04, 04:22 PM
nana2b

I took Goldie, my featherweight, to NY and actually made curtains for my
parent's bedroom. I flew and she was given a space in the first class cabin
closet. I explained she was 68 years old and deserved this treatment. I
did purchase a wheeled tapestry case that the entire case fits into. Not
once did I get asked to open it at security. I did tell them it was a
sewing machine. So I guess Goldie does remember how to make curtains even
though these days she just quilts.

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

Old April 28th 04, 08:37 PM
Regina

(Beth Pierce) wrote in message . com...
I am getting involved in quilting classes at my local quilting store
and am considering a lightweight machine to take to and from class...

Thanks for your help!

Beth-
I have a Bernina Bernette 200, c. late 1980's and I have taken it to
LQS classes. I bought it used about 3 years ago and am very happy
with it. (I can't find anyone else that owns one, though.) It weights
about 17 lbs. I don't really find that to be too much to carry. I also
have a 1950's FW but I didn't get it to take to classes. I got it to
use at home. I see alot of talk about getting lighter machines for
classes, but I don't know what other people think is "too heavy". I
wouldn't want to lug any machine from the distant end of a parking lot
to a shop, but most of the shops I go to are located in areas that
allow for temporary parking while unloading. Also, quilters are such
helpful people by nature that I always see them helping each other
tote stuff. :-) BTW- I have thought it odd that none of the
manufacturers list the weight and dimensions of their machines in
their literature or on their websites. Both would be good to know up
front when shoppping for a SM no matter what you intended to use it
for. Has any one else had the same thought?

As for stitch speed I don't know the actual stitch speed mine does,
but I can't piece blocks or applique accurately at the top speed
anyway. :-)
Regina
Old May 2nd 04, 05:27 PM
Dr. Quilter

Regina wrote:

BTW- I have thought it odd that none of the
manufacturers list the weight and dimensions of their machines in
their literature or on their websites. Both would be good to know up
front when shoppping for a SM no matter what you intended to use it
for. Has any one else had the same thought?

I hadn't but you are right.
I have 3 machines: a FW, a 1968 SINGER Fashionmate that weights a TON
and a Brother NX200 that is in between in weight.

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens
http://community.webshots.com/user/mvignali(take the dog out before
replying)
Old May 4th 04, 12:55 PM
Beth Pierce

Mardi wrote in message . ..
There was a woman in my class at Asilomar who brought one over from
Hawaii. She uses it as her primary machine in addition to a travel
machine.

Asilomar now has quilting classes? Or did she bring it to use when
she wasn't in class? I know where Asilomar is and wanted to go many
times.
Old May 4th 04, 01:06 PM
Beth Pierce

"Kathy in CA" wrote in message

And yet this Kathy in California almost always sews at top speed. Just the
way I am.

Yes, I prefer to go "metal to the pedal", being from California (San
Diego). I guess it just stuck with me. I want to sew fast down
straight seams, but of course with applique and quilting, I'm much
slower. I have a Touch and Sew with a carbon pile (not electronic)
pedal and it "flies". I like to use it for quilting because of its
speed, but it's too heavy to take to quilting class. My newer Singer,
with an electronic pedal, just clunks along, but it's a little
lighter.