On Topic -- these godawful ads

Old December 23rd 11, 04:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary

Default On Topic -- these godawful ads

What are you knitting Mary ?
mirjam

At the moment, nothing. I am assembling a quilt. However, I have six
skeins of Araucania fingering weight yarn I found at a re-sale shop a
few weeks ago for almost nothing, and it is beginning to call to me.
It is yarn made in Turkey and then hand-dyed in Chile, and is a lovely
blue with casts of green. It is 75% wool and 25% poly, so I'm
thinking of making a pair of mittens just to see how it really goes,
and then turn the rest into a hat, scarf, and perhaps some socks. But
not until the quilt is finished! I have put that quilt aside
repeatedly over the past 5 years, and it is time to finish!
Old December 24th 11, 05:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
mirjam

On Dec 23, 5:27*pm, Mary wrote:
What are you knitting Mary ?
mirjam

At the moment, nothing. *I am assembling a quilt. *However, I have six
skeins of Araucania fingering weight yarn I found at a re-sale shop a
few weeks ago *for almost nothing, and it is beginning to call to me.
It is yarn made in Turkey and then hand-dyed in Chile, and is a lovely
blue with casts of green. *It is 75% wool and 25% poly, so I'm
thinking of making a pair of mittens just to see how it really goes,
and then turn the rest into a hat, scarf, and perhaps some socks. *But
not until the quilt is finished! *I have put that quilt aside
repeatedly over the past 5 years, and it is time to finish!

Happy creative time to you Mary
Do you have a subject or special technique in the quilt ?
i wish you to enjoy making it and having it
mirjam
Old December 24th 11, 02:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary

Do you have a subject or special technique in the quilt ?
i wish you to enjoy making it and having it
mirjam

The pattern is one that I designed on a pad of hotel note paper while
at a very boring meeting about amending birth certificates in
Washington DC. Since the hotel was located in Foggy Bottom (near the
Watergate Hotel), I named it Foggy Bottom. The quilt is based upon a
12" block with the smallest bit 1", the largest 2", and lots of half-
square triangles -- 72 bits of fabric in each block. The blocks are
turned for assembly, so there is an overall pattern with major
diagonals over the quilt with stars alternated with flowers in the
centers. This quilt is 9 blocks by 9 blocks and will fit a queen bed
as a bedspread or king bed as a coverlet. Every stitch in this quilt
is by hand. If I were to compare it to known patterns I would have to
say that it is like Jacobs Ladder but much more complex. This is a
quilt I intend to keep and to use on my bed, so I am very grateful
that the dog likes to sleep under the covers or on sheets at the top
of the bed rather than on a quilt or bedspread! He's very clean as
dogs go, but is still a dog. Sheets get changed every 5 days or so,
but laundering a quilt means a special trip to the laundromat, and
frequent laundering of quilts is rather hard on them. I have pieced
quite a few blocks of this quilt during quiet afternoons at sea on
several cruise ships, in the Caribbean, in the Mediterranean, and on
two Trans-Atlantic crossings, so parts of this quilt are rather well-
travelled.
Old December 25th 11, 06:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
mirjam

On Dec 24, 3:45*pm, Mary wrote:
Do you have a subject or special technique in the quilt ?
i wish you to enjoy making it and having it
mirjam

The pattern is one that I designed on a pad of hotel note paper while
at a very boring meeting about amending birth certificates in
Washington DC.

Amazing , how boring meetings give birth to interesting art works
HAHA]

*Since the hotel was located in Foggy Bottom (near the
Watergate Hotel), I named it Foggy Bottom.

i like that
*The quilt is based upon a
12" block with the smallest bit 1", the largest 2", and lots of half-
square triangles -- 72 bits of fabric in each block. *The blocks are
turned for assembly, so there is an overall pattern with major
diagonals over the quilt with stars alternated with flowers in the
centers. *This quilt is 9 blocks by 9 blocks and will fit a queen bed
as a bedspread or king bed as a coverlet. *Every stitch in this quilt
is by hand. *If I were to compare it to known patterns I would have to
say that it is like Jacobs Ladder but much more complex.

I am very impressed ,,, and hope you will soon complete it and Show
the picture

*This is a
quilt I intend to keep and to use on my bed, so I am very grateful
that the dog likes to sleep under the covers or on sheets at the top
of the bed rather than on a quilt or bedspread! *He's very clean as
dogs go, but is still a dog. *Sheets get changed every 5 days or so,
but laundering a quilt means a special trip to the laundromat, and
frequent laundering of quilts is rather hard on them.

We have special covers for our [quilt like] blankets [ duvets]

I have pieced
quite a few blocks of this quilt during quiet afternoons at sea on
several cruise ships, in the Caribbean, in the Mediterranean, and on
two Trans-Atlantic crossings, so parts of this quilt are rather well-
travelled.

Aha you passed by our country?
i live on the Mediterranean shore .....
mirjam

Old December 25th 11, 06:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary

Aha you passed by our country?
i live on the Mediterranean *shore .....
mirjam

I haven't visited Israel yet, but hope to get there! The closest I
have been has been Alexandria and Kusadasi, both of which I enjoyed
very much. I was on the QE2, and we had an overnight in Alexandria,
so I took a side trip/overnight to Cairo, which was excellent.
Old December 25th 11, 05:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
mirjam

On Dec 25, 7:23*am, Mary wrote:
Aha you passed by our country?
i live on the Mediterranean *shore .....
mirjam

I haven't visited Israel yet, but hope to get there! *The closest I
have been has been Alexandria and Kusadasi, both of which I enjoyed
very much. *I was on the QE2, and we had an overnight in Alexandria,
so I took a side trip/overnight to Cairo, which was excellent.

Next time please visit me ,,,
mirjam

ads: OT? Carolyn P Needlework 2 March 15th 05 03:28 AM
Do Banner Ads Work? On topic. Dr. Sooz Beads 0 June 11th 04 12:29 AM
Do Banner Ads Work? On topic. Lori Greenberg Beads 4 June 11th 04 12:22 AM
quilting for today on topic-off topic-back to on topic (and long) CNYstitcher Quilting 2 August 29th 03 06:28 PM