turning old silverware into kitchen pull handles

Old June 2nd 04, 04:14 PM
terry

Default turning old silverware into kitchen pull handles

My wife is building a new kitchen, is totally underwhelmed by the
selection of kitchen cabinet pull handles and overwhelmed by the
pricing.

She has dozens of silverware that is better made and nicer, and will
never be used. She wants to silver solder two barrels (with internal
threads) to each piece and use them. I like the idea, but am clueless
to start.

Questions, info/comments to
1. what is that "internally threaded barrel called?"
2. where can I get it?
3. is silver soldering the correct method
4. is a specific type of solder the best?
5. any dimensions I need to be aware of?
6. anything I am too clueless to ask?

thanks,
all answers to

Old June 3rd 04, 03:01 AM
BruceR

terry wrote:
My wife is building a new kitchen, is totally underwhelmed by the
selection of kitchen cabinet pull handles and overwhelmed by the
pricing.

She has dozens of silverware that is better made and nicer, and will
never be used. She wants to silver solder two barrels (with internal
threads) to each piece and use them. I like the idea, but am clueless
to start.

Questions, info/comments to
1. what is that "internally threaded barrel called?"
2. where can I get it?
3. is silver soldering the correct method
4. is a specific type of solder the best?
5. any dimensions I need to be aware of?
6. anything I am too clueless to ask?

thanks,
all answers to

In the electronics industry they are called "threaded standoffs". Shapes
are usual;ly hexagonal or round with lenghts from about 1/8" up to
several inches. Threads typically range from 4-32 through 1/4-20. Look
at digikey (digikey.com?) or other electronic supplies for bulk pricing.
Material varies from plastic (nylon), aluminum, zinc plated brass, and
plain brass. Solder will not stick to aluminum but should work fine with
the brass and plated brass.

Old June 3rd 04, 03:01 AM
Tim Wescott

terry wrote:

My wife is building a new kitchen, is totally underwhelmed by the
selection of kitchen cabinet pull handles and overwhelmed by the
pricing.

She has dozens of silverware that is better made and nicer, and will
never be used. She wants to silver solder two barrels (with internal
threads) to each piece and use them. I like the idea, but am clueless
to start.

Questions, info/comments to
1. what is that "internally threaded barrel called?"

A number of things, including "internally threaded barrel". You might
look for brass spacers (threaded). Such spacers are commonly used in
the electronics industry, but they're usually aluminum. You'll want
brass, and to have yours silver plated (and be ready for the plating to
wear off on the insides where your hands wear on them).

2. where can I get it?

Check Small Parts,
www.smallparts.com. I don't know if they have them,
but it's a place to work. If you're determined you may want to have
something made, but you may spend more $$ than you would on door pulls.
You may also do well getting brass rod, then drilling and tapping the
ends for screws. This would be difficult, but with a steady hand you
should be able to do this with a hacksaw, a vice and a hand drill.

3. is silver soldering the correct method

Soldering should work very well. If done correctly on real silverware a
soldered joint should last until your grandchildren are old. If it's
just silver plated flatware you'll solder onto the plating, and your
joint will only be as strong as the adhesion between the plate and the
parent material.

4. is a specific type of solder the best?

You want something that will tend to acquire the same patina as your
silverware. There are specific solders used by jewelers, you should
probably check with a jewelery supply house (they may have your barrels,
for that matter).

5. any dimensions I need to be aware of?

For strength you probably want to use 8-32 screws, and 3/8 inch barrels
-- but the barrel size is an aesthetic choice as well, and you can get
an 8-32 thread inside a 1/4 inch barrel.

6. anything I am too clueless to ask?

Undoubtedly, but I'm too clueless to know what they are.

thanks,
all answers to

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Old June 3rd 04, 03:01 AM
Mike72903

Check your replys on the woodworking ng you posted this message to. Lots of
good suggestions.
Mike
Old June 3rd 04, 03:01 AM
ted.ffrater

Is your wife a carpentress? to build her own kitchen? congratulations on
a practical partner.
to answer your questions,
1. Its as you described an internally threaded barrell.
2. youll need to get it made at a machine shop someone with a lathe
will do
3. Yes
4. A hard solder or silver brazing alloy
5. at least 3/8in od with a 3/16thin thread inside as a minimum length

not less than 1.5in long cos youve to get your hand behind it.
6. I hope your not using solid silver table ware ie forks and spoons,
It would be philistine to do that.
7. make sure the barrel is madeof the samecolour as the silverware
it will look odd if it isnt.
8. choose silverware that will be strong enough for the job. Tea spoons
will not do.

Old June 5th 04, 06:06 AM
Ted Edwards

terry wrote:

She has dozens of silverware that is better made and nicer, and will
never be used. She wants to silver solder two barrels (with internal
threads) to each piece and use them. I like the idea, but am clueless
to start.

If the pieces you want to use are sterling or silver plate on brass or
steel, you could machine and internally thread the standoffs. I would
suggest brass since it is easy to machine and easy to plate. Silver
solder the barrels to the silverware, clean thoroughly to remove _all_
flux residues and silver plate the pieces.

If you don't have plating gear, check out "brush plating" at
http://www.caswellplating.com/nsindex.htm
Brush plating is the most efficient technique for small stuff and/or
infrequent use. I still have perfectly useable solutions I made up in
the 60's.

Ted

Old June 5th 04, 04:59 PM
NE333RO

6. anything I am too clueless to ask?

If it was me I would probably attack it from another angle and solder the
bolt to the silverware. That is, unless you really needed the spacers.