Marbek Nativity

Old November 27th 07, 05:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
John Quinn

Default Marbek Nativity

I've finally started the nativity on navy Aida. The fabric is cut and
I am now griding the center panel. I am wondering if I should make
any color changes because I'm using dark fabric? Any advise on this
project would be appreciated.
John
Old November 27th 07, 05:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ericka Kammerer

John Quinn wrote:
I've finally started the nativity on navy Aida. The fabric is cut and
I am now griding the center panel. I am wondering if I should make
any color changes because I'm using dark fabric? Any advise on this
project would be appreciated.

I haven't completed it but I've done respectable chunks
on black. I haven't felt the need to change any of the colors.
I've seen a couple finished works on black or navy, and I don't
think they changed any colors either (and looked great). So,
while anyone might choose to heed an urge to change colors for
any reason, I don't think it's really necessary in this case.
I'm not aware of an area that falls flat if you change the
background color.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old November 27th 07, 06:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

John Quinn wrote:

I've finally started the nativity on navy Aida. The fabric is cut and
I am now griding the center panel. I am wondering if I should make
any color changes because I'm using dark fabric? Any advise on this
project would be appreciated.
John

I have seen it done on black and it is STUNNING on the dark fabric; much
more so than on the original cream. I think all the colors are bright
enough to stand out against the dark background, but I don't have the
chart to check.

I would say if there are any navyish flosses, see if they come in
contact with the fabric (e.g., where you'd have what appears to be a
disembodied head floating over a dark blue robe that blends into the
background). If so, contemplate whether you'd rather change the color
or just run a discreet line of BS around it.

But I can tell you from my wizard that a lot of dark colors stand out
just fine against a black background, even if you think they wouldn't.

--
Karen C - California
www.CFSfacts.org where we give you the facts and dispel the myths

Finished 10/21/07 - Floral Elegance Collection "Crocus"

WIP: The Teacher, Bethany Angel,
Flowers of Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel

Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com
Design page http://www.KarenMCampbell.com/designs.html
Old November 27th 07, 06:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

THEre are many colors that seem to float or sink in others ,,,, but it
is a very personal thing , because not ALL humans see colors in the
exact same way ,, it also depends on the way Light falls on the work ,
it also depends on what stitches = which way the thread goes ,
vertical or horizontal ,,,, and last and not least , since most poeple
here Frame their work ,, it also depends on what color and width passe
partout and frame one uses.
mirjam

Old November 28th 07, 04:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
John Quinn

On Nov 27, 12:46 am, (Mirjam Bruck-Cohen) wrote:
THEre are many colors that seem to float or sink in others ,,,, but it
is a very personal thing , because not ALL humans see colors in the
exact same way ,, it also depends on the way Light falls on the work ,
it also depends on what stitches = which way the thread goes ,
vertical or horizontal ,,,, and last and not least , since most poeple
here Frame their work ,, it also depends on what color and width passe
partout and frame one uses.
mirjam

But I can tell you from my wizard that a lot of dark colors stand out
just fine against a black background, even if you think they wouldn't.

--
Karen C - California

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll do the colors as charted. If I
don't like how it looks I can always frog and change. My DW is afraid
the folds that are creased into the fabric from the shop won't come
out after it's stitched. I am going to try to wash and iron it before
putting it on the frame.

John
Old November 28th 07, 05:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dr. Brat

John Quinn wrote:

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll do the colors as charted. If I
don't like how it looks I can always frog and change. My DW is afraid
the folds that are creased into the fabric from the shop won't come
out after it's stitched. I am going to try to wash and iron it before
putting it on the frame.

The folds will come out after it's stitched. Wash it and iron it dry
from the back with a towel between the stitching and the ironing board.
It'll be fine.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old November 28th 07, 06:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

You can also take some pieces of cardboard and Roll some cm of each
color on it ,, to see how they look side by side BEFORE embroidering
them ,,,,
mirjam

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll do the colors as charted. If I
don't like how it looks I can always frog and change. My DW is afraid
the folds that are creased into the fabric from the shop won't come
out after it's stitched. I am going to try to wash and iron it before
putting it on the frame.

John

crocheted Nativity set Maine-iac Rose Yarn 19 July 22nd 15 07:44 PM
Marbek angels, L&L, & Mirabilia for sale [email protected] Marketplace 0 July 13th 07 07:50 PM
Marbek Nativity Karen C - California Needlework 0 January 31st 05 09:14 PM
nativity GRAHAM WALKER Needlework 0 October 29th 04 01:54 PM
Wasn't someone looking for a Marbek "celestial" angel pattern ? Jenn Ridley Needlework 3 September 3rd 03 09:58 PM