Most common ring sizes?

Old March 24th 07, 02:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Paul Ciszek

Default Most common ring sizes?

I have noticed that when someone is selling rings made of stone, glass,
or plastic (i.e., harder to resize than metal) they seldom have any
large enough for my girlfriend or I. This could be because they are
made in another country, or possibly because the target demographic is
anorexic young women. So, I was wondering, if you were bringing a bunch
of carved/cast/glassblown rings to a festival in the United States with
the intention of selling them to an average cross-section of middle aged
people, what sizes should you make and what relative amounts? I am
using the American ring sizes below, but if you have any experience with
this in another size system, I can convert.

For starters, should one make them in whole size increments (9, 10, 11)
or are half- and quarter- sizes necessary?

Next, what is the most common size, next most common, etc? I someone
knows a mean & standard deviation, that would be *perfect*.

I suppose it would also be useful to have information about common ring
sizes for, say, pre-teens.

Is there a book that covers any of this?

--
Please reply to: | "Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is
pciszek at panix dot com | indistinguishable from malice."

Old March 24th 07, 09:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Marilee J. Layman

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 02:33:15 GMT, (Paul Ciszek)
wrote:

I have noticed that when someone is selling rings made of stone, glass,
or plastic (i.e., harder to resize than metal) they seldom have any
large enough for my girlfriend or I. This could be because they are
made in another country, or possibly because the target demographic is
anorexic young women. So, I was wondering, if you were bringing a bunch
of carved/cast/glassblown rings to a festival in the United States with
the intention of selling them to an average cross-section of middle aged
people, what sizes should you make and what relative amounts? I am
using the American ring sizes below, but if you have any experience with
this in another size system, I can convert.

Hey, Paul! I weigh 350 pounds and I wear a 4 on my ring fingers.

In my experience, cheap rings usually start at 6 and go to 11 or 13,
depending on whether they'd be attractive to men or not.

(I know Paul from the specfic newsgroups.)

For starters, should one make them in whole size increments (9, 10, 11)
or are half- and quarter- sizes necessary?

Next, what is the most common size, next most common, etc? I someone
knows a mean & standard deviation, that would be *perfect*.

I suppose it would also be useful to have information about common ring
sizes for, say, pre-teens.

Is there a book that covers any of this?

--
Fabulous jewelry and art at auction right now at eBay:
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZbea...QQfsooZ1QQrdZ0

Marilee J. Layman http://mjlayman.livejournal.com

Old March 24th 07, 07:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Frosty

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 02:33:15 GMT in rec.crafts.jewelry
(Paul Ciszek), intended to write something
intelligible, but instead wrote :

[...]

Get 'em at 8's or 9's.
FWIW, I can size down rings made of most any material.
I've even sized down glass ones.
If I told you how I'd have to kill you. Sorry.
But my email address is good.
(-:

Frosty