this newsgroup

Old October 25th 05, 12:32 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

Default this newsgroup

Amen, sister.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"the black rose" wrote in message
teleflora wrote:
You're not a victim here, Julia. You started it. You hurt Tina's
feelings and even AFTER you knew you hurt Tina's feelings, you did
nothing to make the situation better.

You could have slapped her hand privately, but you chose to do it in
public. There was no, "Hey, Tina, I know you are excited but darlin, you
really should get the names of the people who made those beautiful quilts
before you put their pictures up". Or even, "let's not forget that some
people don't want pictures of their creations posted for all the world to
see". I find it odd that I saw pictures of beautiful quilts and you saw
copywrite infringement.

You chose not to go the friendly, gentle route. You don't get to whine
now that people have been mean to you.

I'm still waiting for the apology for the ghastly, breathtakingly
heartless remarks Lia made in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

--

the black rose
Research Associate in the Field of Child Development and Human

-------- __o
----- -\. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )

Old October 25th 05, 02:34 PM
Lisa C

Default What is going on here? Was: this newsgroup

Been offline for a few days and I find a controversy. Yet another person is
leaving the group. And a bunch of people are telling her 'good riddance'.
So, I Google everything I can to find what could possibly have happened. And
I am appalled.

Comments inline:
"teleflora" wrote in message
You're not a victim here, Julia. You started it. You hurt Tina's
feelings and even AFTER you knew you hurt Tina's feelings, you did nothing
to make the situation better.

What should she have done? Her initial comment wasn't rude. It was simply
straightforward.

You could have slapped her hand privately, but you chose to do it in
public.

What happens in the newsgroup STAYS in the newsgroup. From what I can see,
it was PRIVATE email messages that have caused the pain.

"Julia Altshuler" wrote in message
I don't know when I've cried so hard as I did when I read my email last
night.

Me, I avoid sending to someones private email box unless they ask, or they
have a personal issue with ME.

There was no, "Hey, Tina, I know you are excited but darlin, you really
should get the names of the people who made those beautiful quilts before
you put their pictures up". Or even, "let's not forget that some people
don't want pictures of their creations posted for all the world to see".
I find it odd that I saw pictures of beautiful quilts and you saw
copywrite infringement.

I'm gonna guess *YOUR* way of making a living doesn't include 'intellectual
property'.
Believe me, artists, writers, photographers, designers, computer
programmers, etc. find copyright infringement a sensitive issue. When you
work hard to create something beautiful and original and you make your
living from that work, it is hard to understand how people could NOT be
sensitive to piracy issues.

You chose not to go the friendly, gentle route. You don't get to whine
now that people have been mean to you.

Yes, she DOES get to whine. Because being mean is uncalled for. Tina
apologized for violating copyright, but I didn't see any post from her that
said she felt attacked. What about Tina's reply "I agree, the
artist/designer would want their name credited to their work. I would like
that myself also. I would also like to give each one credit for their work
and DO still intend to go back and put the names of the quilts and their
creator on them, in my private album, for my future reference. Thank you for
the info. though - will definitely keep it for future reference" gave you
the impression that Tina felt attacked and needed defending?

For such a large and diverse population, this group surely has less
bickering than any other group I've been associated with. I think having
a love of an artform like we do, transcends most silliness we might
otherwise engage in.

Sometimes, some of us try to be funny and it comes across as sarcasm.

Lia's comment was "Gosh, you don't suppose any of the people who made those
fabulous quilts would like to have their names and credits put along side
their work when the photographs were published without their permission, do
you?"

That struck you as evil?

Please, enlighten the group as to the difference between when 'some of us'
try to be funny (evidentally allowed) and when OTHERS of us are sarcastic.
Would it be funny or sarcastic if I had taken the obvious bait when you
stated "For such a large and diverse population, this group surely has less
bickering than any other group I've been associated with"?

Is there a list somewhere of just WHO is allowed to get away with being
painful?

Mea culpa. But I try to be quick to appoligize.

You owe one to Lia.
You publicly bashed her for the 'offense' of standing up for others
copyright LEGAL rights. You called her a whiner for complaining about
private harassment.

Re-read your comment
"You hurt Tina's feelings and even AFTER you knew you hurt Tina's feelings,
you did nothing to make the situation better."

Now, substitute Lia's name and recognize YOURSELF as the abuser.

You are, quite simply, in the wrong.

Old October 25th 05, 03:00 PM
Lisa C

teleflora wrote:
You're not a victim here, Julia. You started it. You hurt Tina's
feelings and even AFTER you knew you hurt Tina's feelings, you did
nothing to make the situation better.

You could have slapped her hand privately, but you chose to do it in
public. There was no, "Hey, Tina, I know you are excited but darlin, you
really should get the names of the people who made those beautiful quilts
before you put their pictures up". Or even, "let's not forget that some
people don't want pictures of their creations posted for all the world to
see". I find it odd that I saw pictures of beautiful quilts and you saw
copywrite infringement.

You chose not to go the friendly, gentle route. You don't get to whine
now that people have been mean to you.

I'm still waiting for the apology for the ghastly, breathtakingly
heartless remarks Lia made in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

Stop waiting.

Lia addressed the criticism aimed at her in her post in August "I stand by
what I said: that comparing the devastation from Katrina to that of the
tsunami is insensitive. Perhaps others are reading something into what I
wrote that I'm not seeing."

You may not agree with that. But your disagreement does not transform her
comment into a "ghastly, breathtakingly heartless remark" any more than
Lia's opinion transforms the victims who feel "This is our Tsunami." into
people insensitive of what happened in Asia.

Comparisons are sometimes useful, often dangerous and painful. Some are sure
to get a knee-jerk reaction. They include among other things comparing one
natural disaster to another, comparing the loss of a loved one to someone
else's loss, and comparing acts of genocide (including anything vs. the
Holocaust).

Because, to an individual, their pain is the BIGGEST pain.

With that view in mind, re-read Lia's posts.

Old October 28th 05, 07:40 AM
DrQuilter

hope Lia is not leaving. yes, her comment was sarcastic, yes, she could
have said it differently. but she did not deserve being called the
things she was called. and from what I read (unless there were other
messages exchanged privately that I am not aware of, or I am missing
emails), it wasn't Tina that insulted her.

Lisa C wrote:

Been offline for a few days and I find a controversy. Yet another person is
leaving the group. And a bunch of people are telling her 'good riddance'.
So, I Google everything I can to find what could possibly have happened. And
I am appalled.

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)