beadpoint question

Old January 22nd 04, 05:39 AM
Valerie

For days??????????/ Haw haw haw! (Try years! You're done for)
~~
Sooz

You wouldn't believe what I found under my recliner when we moved it (it was a
heavy dual recliner)...I could probably seed bead an entire room with all that
I found. LOL!

Valerie
Website: http://www.valeriebeads.com
Check out my site for the RCB member links pages! E-mail me for details!

Old January 22nd 04, 05:44 AM
Valerie

Knowing my design was scuppered if I lost any of the focal beads.
I yelled do not move to him. Then like a gorilla grooming its mate I
started to pick the beads of him

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!! I have a wonderful mental image Shirley!!!!!!!

Old January 22nd 04, 01:25 PM
just me

"MargieK" wrote in message
Sounds like we have another beader amongst us! YaY! It is fun, isn't
it? I'm still learning stitches and I think it will be less a strain
once I go in for the new glasses.

This may be scarey or odd or whatever, but would you believe that I find I
am looking under my gradiant lenses in order to see the beads more clearly -
and it works better than looking through the bifocal part or if I take my
glasses off and look dead on. I don't think this is a further detioration
caused by the macular degeneration but maybe it means I need new glasses
too? ;-0)

What kind of stitches are you using for this beadpoint? What kind of
thread and needle? I have no idea what size needle you use with a 15!
Are you sitting in your chair? Working off your lap? Tell, tell.

Let me see.....I bought the needle pack at Wal mart. Coats Beading needles
10-13. They are quite long, which is a good and not good thing, and
horribly flexible, which is quite the change from tapestry needles! I am
stitching the beads to needlepoint interweave mesh size 16 or 18. There are
two different stitches, used in alternating rows in order to prevent the
piece from becoming mis-shapen. When attaching bugles and other non-seeds
the stitch appears to simply be a variant of do whatever will hold it down
into the proper position on the canvas!

I might experiment with aida cloth next, but I am also pondering light
weight leather for use in barrettes. Anyone have any experience with either
of those items?

-Aula

Old January 22nd 04, 08:59 PM
Dr. Sooz

Good points. Need to keep 'em for Bead Notes......

Also, Silamide holds up under the test of time far bett

For pictures (to hang on the wall type), I'd agree. For fabric like denim or
canvas, it's usually fine. For thin cottons, silk, etc., if the beads snag on
something, the thread will pull and likely rip the fabric. It's better to use
thread that will break to attach the beads to clothing. If you're worried
about
beads cutting the thread, string them on your "tough" thread of choice, and
couch the string down using cotton thread.

Just like when sewing silk-- use cotton thread for the seams.... Save the
silk
thread for top-stitching, because it can cut the cloth if the seams are
stressed.

Sometimes the "bad choice" is a better choice than the "good choice".
Kaytee

~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old January 22nd 04, 09:00 PM
Dr. Sooz

black lab/rotweiller and he produces more hair than I could ever have
thought a blooming short haired dog could in a life time - and he does it
daily! ARGH! But, I do have to admit that the St. Bernard which I grew up
with could drool like nothing I've ever heard of before or since!

Augh!
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old January 23rd 04, 12:02 AM
just me

"vj" wrote in message
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from "just me"
:

]I might experiment with aida cloth next, but I am also pondering light
]weight leather for use in barrettes. Anyone have any experience with

either
]of those items?

i love aida cloth - but it ravels easily!

I've learned to deal with that pretty well. I've been a bit leery of using
it because I'm not sure how it will tolerate the need to retain a shape on
something like a broach or barrette. Any comments?

-Aula

Old January 23rd 04, 04:37 AM
MargieK

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 12:25:50 GMT, "just me"
wrote:

This may be scarey or odd or whatever, but would you believe that I find I
am looking under my gradiant lenses in order to see the beads more clearly -
and it works better than looking through the bifocal part or if I take my
glasses off and look dead on. I don't think this is a further detioration
caused by the macular degeneration but maybe it means I need new glasses
too? ;-0)

Women of our age should go every two years. I'm due, when are you
due?

Let me see.....I bought the needle pack at Wal mart. Coats Beading needles
10-13. They are quite long, which is a good and not good thing, and
horribly flexible, which is quite the change from tapestry needles! I am
stitching the beads to needlepoint interweave mesh size 16 or 18. There are
two different stitches, used in alternating rows in order to prevent the
piece from becoming mis-shapen. When attaching bugles and other non-seeds
the stitch appears to simply be a variant of do whatever will hold it down
into the proper position on the canvas!

Yes, the needles are quite flexible and bend easily. None of mine are
straight unless they're unused. LOL

I'd love to see this done. This beadpoint is new to me, well you know
that already.

I might experiment with aida cloth next, but I am also pondering light
weight leather for use in barrettes. Anyone have any experience with either
of those items?

No ma'am, I don't but I have lots of books, some old, borrowed and new
I'll see if there's something that touches upon this for you.

--
Margie
http://snurl.com/2u8t

Old September 13th 10, 01:11 AM
rsg444 rsg444 is offline
Junior Member

Hi Aula,

I realize this reply is months after you posted your question, but it might be helpful.

I too do a lot of beadpoint, however, I generally use size 11/0 beads. I live in New York City, and even here, it's not always easy to find a decent selection. Over the last few years, I have been buying most of my beads from Artbeads.com. They have a pretty good selection of 15/0 seed beads and delicas and their prices are reasonable.

Hope this is helpful....
Quote:
Originally Posted by just me View Post
hello all -

I've been reading, trying to learn a new craft. Apparently I've picked a
more obscure part of beadwork or you all are not a group who practice it. I
have a question or two. I've been trying to find seedbeads sized 15/0
locally. I've tried a couple shops that I thought would have a good
selection of beads [like Glad Rags] and none of them carry beads smaller
than 10/0. While there is another shop I will try tomorrow [hoping it is
open on MLK Day], I am wondering how to change my "gauge" to meet my need.
My directions tell me to use the 15/0 seed beads on #18 interlock
canvas[petit or needlepoint canvas]. If I switch to the 10/0 beads what
size canvas should I go to to keep the pattern looking right? This is my
very first venture into beads of any sort and I had to pick beadpoint, but I
really want to do it because it is so similar to one of my favorite needle
arts: counted cross stitch.

Thank you for bearing with me. I'm really hoping someone here can shed some
light on this new arena I've chosen!

-Aula
--
see my creative works on ebay under http://snurl.com/369o
and on zazzle at http://snurl.com/38oh

Pricing Question Lisa Kisner Beads 6 September 30th 03 11:14 AM
de-lurking with a color question Jennifer Moore Beads 8 August 16th 03 09:42 PM
Novice question - seeds vs beads (and how to make a seed last) WalkerDlwalke Beads 0 August 10th 03 11:40 PM
Posting Question angela Beads 25 August 7th 03 12:57 PM
Another question.... Question about Beading Thread Ken Knecht Beads 3 July 16th 03 06:24 AM