Destashing Should be THis year`s subject line

Old September 29th 07, 12:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
enigma

Default Destashing Should be THis year`s subject line

Vintage Purls wrote in
ups.com:

I've just completed a great wee baby shoe project that is
ideal for using up odds and ends of yarn:
http://vintagepurls.net.nz/2007/09/29/antidote/

i think those are the cutest baby shoes i've seen! i'm going
to email saartjes & ask if i can use her pattern for my
hospital knitting (when i had Boo i was given a one foot
square granny square, because it was all the hospital had left
in it's newborn knitting box. i'm working on making sure other
new moms get, um, nicer & more useful newborn items)
however, it might be helpful to me if others could give me a
range of baby feet sizes... i know Boo had *huge* feet. i knit
him the BabyUll ladybug socks in the largest size (6 month, i
think) and they were way too small at birth. kinda hard to
knit to fit before the baby's born though
i find hats are pretty easy. i knit 16" to 19" & they'll fit
*someone's* baby, but i'd be interested in an idea of just how
tiny a preemie foot could be, up to the almost 4" bigfoot i
had.
thanks,
lee
Old September 29th 07, 03:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DAB[_2_]

Vintage Purls wrote:
I've just completed a great wee baby shoe project that is ideal for
using up odds and ends of yarn:
http://vintagepurls.net.nz/2007/09/29/antidote/

I found the pattern through Ravelry (yes, my wait is over - I got my
invite a week or so ago) but it's freely available - the link is
available on the above page. I'll definitely make these again and I
plan to do them in a different weight yarn and needle size to make a
larger pair.

If you have a Ravelry login you can find my project details at:
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/vint...artjes-bootees

VP

I love em.....yours are different which I like better than the orig.

Donna

Old September 29th 07, 04:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
enigma

Betsy in NY wrote in
:

enigma wrote:
i find hats are pretty easy. i knit 16" to 19" & they'll
fit
*someone's* baby, but i'd be interested in an idea of just
how tiny a preemie foot could be, up to the almost 4"
bigfoot i had.

My son was classified as a preemie even though he was full
term because he was so small (just 5 pounds the day I took
him home). His feet were about 2 inches long, so I imagine
a true preemie would have very tiny feet indeed. On the
other hand, preemies that little don't leave the hospital,
so you'd probably be safe with a shoe that would fit a 5
pound baby.

thank you. that helps a lot. do you know if preemies in ICU
wear booties? i'm thinking i'll have a chat with the nurses
next time i'm there...
i know that they need really tiny gowns for the preemies that
don't survive sometimes. sad, but i suppose it's somewhat of a
comfort that someone spent time making something special for
those babies too.
lee
Old September 29th 07, 08:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

On Sep 30, 3:16 am, "DAB" wrote:
I love em.....yours are different which I like better than the orig.

Thanks Donna. The changes were really made out of necessity - I didn't
have a yarn I thought would work well as a contrast so just went for
one colour and I was using up buttons I had lying around, these wee
hearts were they only thing I had that looked any good and were small
enough - I only had three of each colour so hence the two different
colours. It's a popular pattern and lots of people have made wee
changes; I've seen the straps fastened Mary Jane style instead of
crossed which looks darling too.

VP

Old September 30th 07, 01:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
enigma

Betsy in NY wrote in
:

This is a little OT for the Yarn group, but do you know
about the ABC Quilt project? They make quilts for HIV
babies and others that are very sick. Some of them never
get to leave the hospital and the quilts are one
non-hospital thing to comfort them. It sounds like your
booties and
gowns might serve the same purpose.

oddly, ABC Quilts is in my town! it's in the same building as
the district school superintenant
i'll have to drop by & ask if they take other things besides
quilts, as i'm not really interested in quilting. i do some
for personal use, but nothing fancy. mostly covers using up
old jeans & stuff.
lee
--
Question with boldness even the existence of god; because if
there be
Old September 30th 07, 02:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

"Vintage Purls" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've just completed a great wee baby shoe project that is ideal for
using up odds and ends of yarn:
http://vintagepurls.net.nz/2007/09/29/antidote/

Aww, those are adorable! )

*hugs*
Gemini

Old October 10th 07, 11:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Linda [email protected]

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 15:27:01 +0000 (UTC), enigma
wrote:
thank you. that helps a lot. do you know if preemies in ICU
wear booties? i'm thinking i'll have a chat with the nurses
next time i'm there...
i know that they need really tiny gowns for the preemies that
don't survive sometimes. sad, but i suppose it's somewhat of a
comfort that someone spent time making something special for
those babies too.
lee

The quilt group my Mom belonged to not only made quilts for critically
ill infants, but they also knit tiny little toques and booties.

In addition, my oldest son was in the Intensive Care Unit, and was in
an incubator for 4 days, but he weighed 8 lbs. 2 oz. and there was
another baby in an incubator at that time that weiged 10 lbs. I would
ask you local hospital if they would like some larger size items as
well. Those big babies are sometimes high risk too.

take care, Linda

Old October 10th 07, 11:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
hesira

I'm a little late to this conversation, but I'm on a stash busting
mission myself. I don't have much of a stash; everything I own fits
into 1 laundry basket, but I can't stand the idea of accumulating too
much. I've decided I won't buy any more yarn until I've found a use
for the majority of what I already have. It's funny how I get the
urge to buy some, but them make myself stop.

I have made a bunch of baby socks and a few baby hats with leftover
sock yarn, a couple of baby sweaters, a scarf, 2 adult hats and I've
got a pair of socks on the needles. I plan on 2 or 3 adult sweaters
and one or two more pairs of socks before I'll let myself buy anthing
else.

Hesira

Old October 11th 07, 03:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

On Oct 11, 11:51 am, hesira wrote:
I don't have much of a stash; everything I own fits
into 1 laundry basket, but I can't stand the idea of accumulating too
much.

I don't have an epic stash either (well not of yarn. If you count
*everything* I hoard then, yes it is a bit epic). I figure if you
stash yarn too long you're just encouraging moths and cats, both of
which can do some serious damage to wool.

VP