Cane beads

Old January 23rd 07, 01:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Jana Peterson

Default Cane beads

I have recently fallen in love with these beads. Unlike some of you, I
don't know what is made where is strong/weak made well/valuable etc...
I just know what I like. I tried the three different kinds, just to see
what they looked like in person...Chinese, craft store(blue moon) and...
wait for it.....David Christensen.....(big heavy sigh) The Christensen
ones seem so wonderful to me, I'd like to learn how to do this.
(but I probably won't)

So...these are my questions. What do I do with these? They are too fancy,
(imo) to string a bunch together,(meaning the DC ones) so I need ideas. My
other question is,
how are these made? Are there sites where I can see how they are made?
I can't find a web site for David Christensen, but I'm not the world's
greatest searcher.

In case anybody hasn't bought these beads, it's like this; the Chinese
ones, you have to hold them up to a bright light to see that there are
caning stripes in them. I think, why bother to put that detail in if you
can't see it....the bead store ones are pretty colors, but I think the
inside color might be painted...the Christensen ones are so detailed and
the colors are so unique..I could look at them all day.

(now that I'm talking about them, I want more...and more)

so, any ideers?
Old January 23rd 07, 02:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

Mingo & Asho makes beautiful furnace glass beads, nicer than DC, imho.
Their site also shows how they are made:
http://www.mingoandasho.com/

http://www.mingoandasho.com/BeadsLife.htm

Barbara

Bead & Polymer Clay Votary

There is a very fine line between a hobby and mental illness. (Dave Barry)

http://www.penguintrax.com and http://www.backseatgrammarian.com
NEW! http://www.polymerclayworkshops.com

Old January 23rd 07, 03:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Cheryl

please patronize your American craftsmen and women !!!
- if not mingo and Ash - you might also find www.firedesigns.com
a nice site - I have purchased from her over the years.(hmm new owners?
didn't
hear about that...)

As for learning to do them - uh... not likely unless you
have access to a glass furnace.... G

As for using them - you don't have to use them alone - combine
with other beads. (example with one of my hearts, here is a necklace I
made and wear often!)

http://www.dragonbeads.com/pinkdream.jpg

They make neat earrings, and bracelets when combined
with Bali style silver...

and --this may sound strage - but I once knew a Jana Peterson years
ago in
college ....... Bowling Green in the mid 70's ???

Cheryl
www.dragonbeads.com

Old January 23rd 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
monique

Jana Peterson wrote:
I have recently fallen in love with these beads.
So...these are my questions. What do I do with these? They are too fancy,
(imo) to string a bunch together,(meaning the DC ones) so I need ideas.
(now that I'm talking about them, I want more...and more)
so, any ideers?

I have made several short necklaces featuring just a few of these beads,
spaced out at the front with crystals and/or larger seed beads, with the
rest of the strand just complimentary seed beads. The fun is picking
through a whole pile for the ones that match best.

Monique in TX