motifs my way

Old April 15th 04, 06:33 AM
Ann

Default motifs my way

Well I finally have my quilt pinned, ready for machine quilting.

I'm going to use a simple daisy motif and meander them on. I was seeing
what I had for fabric markers so I would could perhaps get some daisies on
so I would be ready to go. Was testing them on scraps and the lines just
aren't definite enough. I need something visible, not a faint line.

I came up with a solution which *should* work. I made my daisy motif
template, cut it out of cardboard. I've traced it onto onion paper, using
the fabric marker. I can now pin my pieces of paper onto my quilt in a
pleasing arrangement, stitch on the visible lines through the paper. Tear
off the paper and move to the next one. I've tested the fabric marker in
case it transfer through from the needle, and it wipes off with a damp cloth
so this should work. DH doesn't know it yet but I figure he can trace my
motifs while he watches hockey!!

Will give this a start tomrrow evening.

Ann
http://community.webshots.com/user/mrs_ducky

Old April 15th 04, 03:55 PM
Patti

Hullo Ann
Have you got some Press and Seal in the kitchen?
I have just done a great deal of template quilting. I cut the templates
out of freezer paper (ordinary paper would do); ironed the freezer paper
bits on gently and stuck Press and Seal over them. I did mine in groups
that one width of P&S would cover. Worked like a dream. The templates
were re-usable, though not the P&S.
..
In article M8pfc.19497$mn3.15029@clgrps13, Ann
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old April 15th 04, 06:53 PM
Roberta Zollner

Another method instead of tracing each one: Cut squares large enough to hold
the traced design. Stack up a pile of squares with one traced one on top,
staple together (or pin). Using an empty needle, stitch around the traced
line. You'll be able to follow the perforations on the other squares.
Roberta in D

Old April 15th 04, 07:33 PM
Ann

I don't have freezer paper, or press and seal
Not sure if I understand, but do you stitch right through the freezer paper
and P&S?
Is your template sandwiched between the freezer paper and P&S?

.

Old April 15th 04, 10:11 PM
Patti

Hullo Ann
The template IS the freezer paper. It is sandwiched between the P&S and
the quilt top. You sew through the P&S, round the template. I see now
that my earlier post was virtually incomprehensible. So sorry.
..
In article TzAfc.26841$mn3.4493@clgrps13, Ann
writes

Old April 16th 04, 04:23 PM
Dr. Quilter

I am confused as well. So the P&S is just there to keep the freezer
paper motif in place? Why not just iron the freezer paper template to
the area you are working on currently, stitch around it, tear it of and
place elsewhere?

Patti wrote:

Hullo Ann
The template IS the freezer paper. It is sandwiched between the P&S and
the quilt top. You sew through the P&S, round the template. I see now
that my earlier post was virtually incomprehensible. So sorry.
.
In article TzAfc.26841$mn3.4493@clgrps13, Ann
writes

I don't have freezer paper, or press and seal
Not sure if I understand, but do you stitch right through the freezer
paper
and P&S?
Is your template sandwiched between the freezer paper and P&S?

Ann
http://community.webshots.com/user/mrs_ducky

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens
(take the dog out before replying)

Old April 16th 04, 06:24 PM
Patti

Ah well! You see that's what I have usually done; but then I usually
work on small quilts. My current one is almost bed size and all the
moving around and stuffing through under the SM arm disrupts the
adhesion of the freezer paper pieces. The P&S has a different quality
of stickability and is so flexible that it bends *with* all the
movement, rather than remaining immobile as the freezer paper does. The
P&S can keep a whole group of the little templates in place - so one can
keep going a little longer, and it keeps the area where the quilting is
going on very smooth and beautiful to sew on..
This is so funny - I'm sounding like an advert! whereas I'm really only
trying to tell you all about something that has made my life infinitely
easier over the past couple of weeks ggg
..

In article , Dr. Quilter
writes
I am confused as well. So the P&S is just there to keep the freezer
paper motif in place? Why not just iron the freezer paper template to
the area you are working on currently, stitch around it, tear it of and
place elsewhere?

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

Allegorical motifs Sorceress Needlework 2 January 26th 04 10:41 PM
iso christmas motifs Jill Needlework 3 November 16th 03 11:42 PM
Floral Motifs & Freebie Secrets of Embroidery Needlework 0 October 7th 03 11:05 AM
Motifs or Quilting Patterns Diana Curtis Quilting 1 September 24th 03 05:37 AM
exotic motifs for cross stitch redback Marketplace 0 September 15th 03 12:25 PM