Beginner Question

Old November 26th 05, 01:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

Default Beginner Question

How long does a cane keep once you've made it?

Old November 26th 05, 10:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

Suemi wrote:
How long does a cane keep once you've made it?

years, i suppose
my "oldest" cane was sitting in the fridge for like 6 months

--
..~*we are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by
embracing each other.

..~*~* www.nakit-snova.com *~*~.
Old November 27th 05, 03:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

I live in a dry climate , but I wrap my canes in Saran with cling and I
store them in boxes or under a cloth away from light. My oldest usable canes
are 10 year old mad of FIMO, and I have many that are from the last
five-seven years made in Premo and now Kato as well.

--
Sarajane's Polyclay Gallery
Beads-Dolls-Wearable Art

Old November 27th 05, 03:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

keeping canes in the fridge or freezer over time will cause the plasticiser
to leach to the outsides, making your canes crumbly on the inside and
gooey-sticky on the outside. Its not just a moisture condensation problem,
the plasticiser leaves an oily spot. Chill for slicing if you want, but dont
store canes in the cold long term.

Old November 27th 05, 04:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

I'd still keep them wrapped in Saran, and in a shoe box or under a cloth to
protect fro UV and also dust and dryer lint, cat hair, etc..... When I lived
in San Diego, canes lasted a long time, they dry out faster here, but still
last a long time. Mostly you want to avoid direct light on them, and contact
with anything that would eventually leach out the plasticiser.

--
Sarajane's Polyclay Gallery
Beads-Dolls-Wearable Art
www.polyclay.com
see the current auctions at:
http://snipurl.com/aiid
m...

Old November 27th 05, 11:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

Sarajane Helm wrote:
keeping canes in the fridge or freezer over time will cause the plasticiser
to leach to the outsides, making your canes crumbly on the inside and
gooey-sticky on the outside. Its not just a moisture condensation problem,
the plasticiser leaves an oily spot. Chill for slicing if you want, but dont
store canes in the cold long term.

thats not my normal procedure, i have special shelf for canes in my
workroom, but i've put this one in the fridge just to chill it and
totally forgot about it. found it 6 months later, and it was still alive)

Old November 28th 05, 04:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

Thanks all.