Sewing Fleece...

Old August 27th 04, 02:30 PM
KR

Default Sewing Fleece...

Hi, I don't post here often but have a couple questions.

I am making my daughter's Halloween costume out of fleece, do I need to
finish the edges or will it not fray?

I also learned that my sewing machine refuses to sew on velcro. Any tips on
how to do this before I go ahead and do it by hand? I think it is just too
rough or something and doesn't move along properly, then the bottom thread
gets all clumpy and the machine just freezes up...

Thanks in advance.

Katherine

Old August 27th 04, 03:31 PM
Maine-iac Rose

Hello Katherine
Now you don't have to finish off fleece, as it is not like woven material.
Sometimes serging the edges makes it look nice, but that is it. You can cut
and sew and don't worry about it.
As for the Velcro, have you tried with the Velcro on the bottom? I know it
would be harder, but if you let the feed dogs do your work, it may help it.
I myself haven't had any problems with sewing Velcro, (knocking on my head
because I don't have real wood right here). Probably mark where it is on
the fabric side so you know where to sew. Or you should be able to feel it
through the material. Or do you have a walking foot that would do the same?
Good luck getting that to work for you.

Maine-iac Rose
@---
remove the thorns to email me

Old August 27th 04, 03:49 PM
pas

Maine-iac Rose wrote:
Hello Katherine
Now you don't have to finish off fleece, as it is not like woven
material. Sometimes serging the edges makes it look nice, but that is
it. You can cut and sew and don't worry about it.
As for the Velcro, have you tried with the Velcro on the bottom? I
know it would be harder, but if you let the feed dogs do your work,
it may help it. I myself haven't had any problems with sewing Velcro,
(knocking on my head because I don't have real wood right here).
Probably mark where it is on the fabric side so you know where to
sew. Or you should be able to feel it through the material. Or do
you have a walking foot that would do the same? Good luck getting
that to work for you.

try a bigger needle for the velcro.

Penny S

Old August 27th 04, 04:12 PM
Elaine Carpman

Hi Katherine,
Velcro is a pain sometimes. I hope you are not using the stick down
kind,since that could cause the problem as the sticky stuff gums up the
needle. Also try using a denim needle in the machine,it's bigger and sharper
and might get through the stuff easier.

Old August 27th 04, 05:00 PM

Sewing Fleece...

(KR)

I am making my daughter's Halloween costume out of fleece, do I need to
finish the edges or will it not fray?
---
Will not fray.
---
I also learned that my sewing machine refuses to sew on velcro. Any
tips on how to do this before I go ahead and do it by hand? I think it
is just too rough or something and doesn't move along properly, then the
bottom thread gets all clumpy and the machine just freezes up...
---
Penny and Elaine suggested a larger needle--use a 16 or 18, sharp,
not ball point, and, before you adjust the top tension, (next
suggestion), try tightening the top pressure screw on your machine.
Also, use the longest stitch length you can coax from your machine, and
either a good quality poly or cotton-poly thread. Cheap thread will fray
like crazy
before a stitch can form.
If that fails, some machines will stitch velcro if you torque the top
tension to 6 or 8 on the dial, which will bring the thread back up
between the fabric layers. Don't forget to re-set the tension for your
next project.
I have owned machines which refused to sew velcro at all. The
sticky-back Velcro was invented by Evil Forces just to thwart machine
use. Sometimes hand stitching is the only method that works.
HTH.
Cea

Old August 27th 04, 10:00 PM
Joanna

I have one machine that is very fussy with velcro. It will sew it but
you can not go through the middle of your velcro piece. I have to sew
very close just to the edge, where none of the little velcro teeth is.
Then it is fine. If it's a small piece I would say just hand sew. But if
it's bigger try like the others have said, a bigger needle, and stick
very close to the edge.
Joanna

--
Remove Quilt to reply

Old August 27th 04, 10:26 PM
William Morris

I've had real good luck sewing velcro using a larger needle (size 18, or
denim), putting a piece of brown kraft paper over the velcro before I
stitch. Keeps the thread out of the little hooks

- Wm

--
William Morris, o.k.a. Solace the Shire Gravemaker, KCRF
o.k.a. Nicholas Thatch, No One In Particular

Old August 28th 04, 06:04 AM
Tom Farrell

"KR" wrote:

I am making my daughter's Halloween costume out of fleece, do I need to
finish the edges or will it not fray?

It will not fray.

I also learned that my sewing machine refuses to sew on velcro. Any tips on
how to do this before I go ahead and do it by hand? I think it is just too
rough or something and doesn't move along properly, then the bottom thread
gets all clumpy and the machine just freezes up...

Try starting in an inch from the edge so there's more of everything
under the needle area for the feed dogs to get a hold of. Once it's
stitching properly, you can backstitch to the edge, the existing
stitching should hold the tension better to prevent a bird's nest
underneath.

Alternatively, try covering the velcro with tissue paper and sewing
through it. That may smooth things out enough for it all to go under
the presser foot better. You could also use any kind of stabilizer,
such as a tear-away or Solvy. (Don't use the iron-away kind, you don't
want to iron on velcro.)

Tom Farrell
http://www.SewingWithTom.com/
Old August 29th 04, 03:20 PM
joy beeson

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 11:00:29 -0230, "KR"
wrote:

I also learned that my sewing machine refuses to sew on velcro. Any tips on
how to do this before I go ahead and do it by hand? I think it is just too
rough or something and doesn't move along properly, then the bottom thread
gets all clumpy and the machine just freezes up...

In addition to the many other good tips in this thread,
stitch by turning the handwheel. Then if things go wrong,
you can stop before you've created a bird's nest.

When the machine wants to stitch again in the same hole, you
can lift the presser-foot lever just a tad and push the
fabric forward a stitch-length.

Hand power is also a great help in hitting the microscopic
border of fabric around the hooks or fuzzies.

All this sounds like as much trouble as sewing by hand, but
it gets you out of forcing a thin and bendable needle
through what feels like solid plastic. (And if you use a
thick needle, you have to push even harder.) The machine,
at least, always pushes directly in line with the needle, so
it can push really hard without slipping -- and if you pull
the needle out and try again, it goes into the same hole, so
when things get really tough, you can hammer your way
through -- and no trouble pulling the needle out from the
other side, either.

Joy Beeson
--
http://home.earthlink.net/~joybeeson/ -- needlework