a proper intro? -- long

Old September 25th 04, 01:10 AM
Peggy

Default a proper intro? -- long

Recently Margie asked whether I'd posted an intro. I told her that I'd
briefly introduced myself when I joined the group and promised to post a
'proper intro.' For those of you who are interested, here goes:

My name is Peggy Galdi, and I live in a tiny town in south Georgia with my
husband of 22 years and our cat. We are restoring a Century-old house, and
we are doing almost all the work ourselves. (Yes, Kalera, I've installed a
water heater. As well as a toilet, and a sink, and...well, you get the
picture.) Right now, we are kind of "between" addresses. My office and our
living room is in our main house. But our bedroom, bath, kitchen, and my
bead studio are across the yard in the carriage house. My ultimate goal is
to move completely into the main house and use the carriage house for guests
and beads, but we need to finish the kitchen and bath over here before we
can do that.

When I'm not busy fixing up our humble abode, I'm busy working. I am a
freelance business writer and instructional designer. Since there are only
about 3000 people in my entire county, most of my clients are located in
Atlanta, which is about a three-and-a-half hour drive from here. That's a
long commute, so I usually never go to my client sites but instead work from
my computer and depend on the wonder of the Internet and my trusty 56K modem
to distribute my work far and wide. Usually, it actually gets there ;-)

I've been interested in beading for a long time. I started out years ago
working with seed beads, but as life got more complicated I gradually lost
time for the intricacies of weaving. Then, a few years ago, I found out
that a very close friend of mine was dying, and I felt a desperate need to
find some joy in life, so I bought some seed beads and Nymo. (Say what you
will about shipping costs--it sure beats therapy!)

I soon found that working with seed beads can be a bit difficult on aging
eyes, so I switched to stringing. One day, I had put together a necklace
that I really liked before I realized that I didn't have a clasp for it. I
played around with some base metal wire that I had around the house and
fashioned a temporary clasp, and I was hooked. (Pun intended.) I bought a
copy of Mark Lareau's (sp?) book and some craft wire and started wiring
everything in sight.

Recently, I took the dive into metal clay, and I've started learning about
lampwork beads. I also got my hands on a lovely magnifying lamp that sits
on the desk in my studio. So now I'm able to at least string some seed
beads again. (Yeah!) My ultimate goal is to be able to design and create
my own clasps and beads using metal clay and wire and combine those with
seed and lampwork beads to create really unique jewelry for myself and my
friends. (That's why your jewelry so appealed to me, Margie!) But I am a
long way away from that. I am a real beginner at this. And that's why I'm
here. To learn.

P.S. If you are still reading this post, I did want to say that I have a
couple of pictures of some work that I did awhile ago. I'm not sure how
good the quality will be, but I will try to get them up on the Web sometime
soon so that you can see them. It's kind of hard for me to show any of my
recent work because I don't own a scanner or a digital camera, and I have
already given most of what I made away. But will try to show you some
pictures. I *really* appreciate seeing all of the beautiful jewelry that
you all make.
_______________________
Peggy

Old September 25th 04, 02:05 AM
Beadbimbo

Nice to meet you Peggy! I'm so sorry about your friend. Where are you in
S. Ga? I'm in Hoschton, about 45 or so miles NE of Atlanta.

You may want to check out the Wm. Holland School www.lapidaryschool.org
It's one of our state's treasures as far as bead and jewelry classes go!

I'd love to try PMC too, but I really need another hole in my head! (Or
maybe just another 8 or 10 hours in my day!)

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

Old September 25th 04, 02:49 AM
Carla

Welcome, Peggy. Nice to meetcha!

Cheers,
Carla

Old September 25th 04, 04:30 AM
Marisa2

Peggy,

I am really looking forward to getting to know you more!

I am studying Instructional Systems Technologies at Indiana University
right now and in our intro course I am learning that Instructional
Design is one of the many many names for what "we" will do when "we"
grow up

I am also really interested in learning to use PMC. I promised the guys
at work when I left to get my PhD that I would spend the money they
intended for a book gift certificate on a HotPot. I haven't bought it
yet but I need to hold to my promise and not spend the money on "food or
something for the house" .

Can't wait to see some of your work!

marisa2

Old September 25th 04, 07:07 AM
starlia

Hello again Peggy and yes we do read the entire intros. Your house sounds
divine and I would love to be restoring a century old house. The carriage
house sounds fantastic too. What I wouldn't do to come and visit. I could
even help out with construction. I built my own log house in Alaska
including cutting down the trees and then scraping bark before using them.
It was a long process and I know how you feel.

Starlia Klopman
www.klopmanstudios.com

Old September 25th 04, 07:53 AM
~Candace~

Welcome, again, Peggy

--
~Candace~

Orphan Beads ~low cost and bartering for the financially challenged beader~
http://snipurl.com/6s4t

Princess Auctions ~please see for most current updates and auction
information~
http://snipurl.com/8s8o

Old September 25th 04, 07:56 AM
Anna W.

Welcome, Peggy!!

Old September 25th 04, 08:34 AM
Jalynne

Welcome Peggy. Glad you're here!
--
Jalynne - Keeper of the Quilt for ME club list

Old September 25th 04, 02:33 PM
Diana Curtis

Hi Peggy! Nice to meet you!
Diana

--
Heart and soul can make up for technical lacking in any form of art, but let
the heart be lacking and all the perfection means nothing.

Old September 25th 04, 03:42 PM
Peggy

Nice to know there's another Georgian here, Jerri. I'm in Metter, about an
hour and a half west of Savannah and two hours southeast of Macon. I can
also get to Augusta in about two hours, but it's back roads all the way.

I've heard of the Holland school. I checked out their course listings.
They sound great, and the fees are unbelievable.

And believe me, I know what you mean about needing more hours in a day :-)