way OT - immigration sponsorship

Old April 10th 06, 01:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default way OT - immigration sponsorship

We are co-sponsors for our daughter-in-law, who is from Hungary. She has
her green card and all of course, and then my son went back to school. He
was no longer earning enough to be her sole sponsor, so we signed to
co-sponsor with him. That was several years ago. They have now been
separated for 2 1/2 years, and he is in the process of getting a divorce.
She emailed and told us that if he does, we will be the sole sponsors. Can
anyone verify if this is true? It doesn't make sense to me that this is how
it would work, but it is SO hard to find out the details of things like
this. I thought I'd see if anyone here knows about these things. TIA!

Karen, Queen of Squishies
--
**************************
All of us are in the gutter,

Old April 10th 06, 01:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Karen:
First, I have NO clue about this. I think an
immigration attorney would have the information.
This is my comment: do you and your DH WANT
to continue as sponsors? That is an important
issue.
Good luck, however you choose to go.
PAT in VA/USA

Old April 10th 06, 02:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Queen of Squishies wrote:
We are co-sponsors for our daughter-in-law, who is from Hungary. She has
her green card and all of course, and then my son went back to school. He
was no longer earning enough to be her sole sponsor, so we signed to
co-sponsor with him. That was several years ago. They have now been
separated for 2 1/2 years, and he is in the process of getting a divorce.
She emailed and told us that if he does, we will be the sole sponsors. Can
anyone verify if this is true? It doesn't make sense to me that this is how
it would work, but it is SO hard to find out the details of things like
this. I thought I'd see if anyone here knows about these things. TIA!

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Karen,

I don't know enough of this either, but I do occasionally hang out in

alt.visa.us.marriage-based

You might get help there too.

However, if she has had her greencard (by virtue of marriage to your
son) for more then 2 years, I believe she could apply for "removal of
conditions" and then she would not need a sponsor. In fact, I'm
wondering why she didn't do that already.

But do go look in the other group - most of the folks there are friendly
and know some stuff - even if the advise in the end may be to get a
lawyer, it is sometimes nice to have an idea of what is going on.

Hanne in London

Old April 10th 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I understand we have no choice, it was clearly understood when we signed the
paper that this is a binding agreement. I suppose we could renounce her and
send her back home, but we don't want to get that drastic. There's no need
at this point. Thanks, Pat.

Old April 10th 06, 03:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Howdy!
As others have said, check w/ the experts; call the INS or an attorney
who works on these cases.
Check this page about multiple sponsors: http://tinyurl.com/n2jfy
Looks like she could remain on "the list" but you could also withdraw
your support and her chances for citizenship are jeopardized. Or not.
Definitely time to call an attorney.
Good luck!

Ragmop/Sandy--we won't even co-sign a loan for one of our kids (not again)

Old April 10th 06, 04:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I know absolutely nothing about this, but if she has been here for five
years has she applied for citizenship? Doesn't being a co-sponsor mean
there would have to be a sponsor? If the divorce takes place, she will
no longer have a sponsor so can you still be a co-sponsor? If she had
to have a co-sponsor because your son didn't make enough money to
support her would that not mean that you would have to take on the
responsibility of supporting her if she couldn't or wouldn't work?

If the answer to the last question were yes, I'd have to think long and
hard about continuing the co-sponsorship if I knew I was responsible for
her financial support. Since the conditions under which you signed the
co-sponsorship have changed, and since your son will no longer be her
sponsor, I'd think there is a good chance of requesting your
co-sponsorship be rescinded. If she has lived here for at least five
years, she could apply for citizenship and I believe that would
forestall deportation.

Old April 10th 06, 04:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

"Queen of Squishies" RisingStars @ KarenTucker.com wrote in message
I understand we have no choice, it was clearly understood when we signed
the
paper that this is a binding agreement.

YES, indeed it is.

I suppose we could renounce her and
send her back home,

Nope!
It makes sense, tho. Allowing that option would open the door to blackmail
of the immigrants.

Old April 10th 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Like others, I don't know but I would be finding out especially since she
emailed you. Sounds like she may be planning on making you pay for your son
divorcing her.

--
Mary

Old April 10th 06, 04:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

"Hanne Gottliebsen" wrote in message
Queen of Squishies wrote:
[...]

Not sure if she *could* but I do know there is no incentive for her to do
so. The sponsorship agreement in essence binds the sponsors to support the
immigrant.