Idle sock question

Old July 4th 03, 03:26 AM
spampot

Default Idle sock question

WOW. That sounds way cool, but I think I'll experiment w/toes for a
while first (am knitting DH a pair of wool-hemp mixture socks). I got
several EZ books for my bday, will look up socks when I have a minute.

SlinkyToy wrote:
You can do better than simple right- and left-toe construction - you can
make -footed socks! Elizabeth Zimmerman discusses the method in one of her
books (don't ask me which, I don't recall offhand), and it is also in Meg
Swansen's Knitting, and MAY be in Vogue Knitting American Classics as well.

What makes them -footed? Instep shaping, of course

"spampot" wrote in message

...or rather, idle question about socks. Has anyone here ever made
right-footed and left-footed socks? You know how most sock toe ends
resemble a cone or a snipped-off triangle (or a trapezoid; does a
trapezoid have to have a right angle, or is it enough that it has two
parallel sides?)? Well, most people's toes (not mine, but that's
another story) are closer to a right triangle with the hypotenuse
forming the outline of the toes -- the big toe being the shorter leg of
the right angle -- aren't they? So, has anyone tried doing the toe
decreases only along the little-toe edge, and thus coming to the
"snipped-off triangle" at the top of the big toe? It seems logical to
me that the socks would fit better.

Old July 4th 03, 03:28 AM
spampot

Aha! Maybe I'll try that for the second sock for DH. My toes are an
odd shape, they're perfectly straight, more like fingers than toes, so I
should really hardly decrease at all for my own socks -- certainly on
the big-toe side. Thanks for the advice, Sue.

Sue wrote:
Hi,
I just had to jump out of lurkdom on this one. I've only knitted one pair of
socks ever - bedsocks in aran weight yarn. I knitted the first one with the
standard symmetrical shape toe, and found that it pressed my big toe
sideways. Not comfortable. I made the second one the exact shape of my foot
by drawing round my foot on to graph paper and doing the calculations
needed. I ended up with only 3 rounds of decreases on the big toe side (the
last 3 rounds) but started the decreases on the little toe side earlier
than for a standard sock, and these decreases were of the K3 tog variety.
The result was a sock that fitted the shape of my foot just right, so I
tinked the toe of the first one and did a mirror image to match. The great
thing is that the grafting at the toe was over only 6sts.

Sue in the East of England, UK