Ti - arcing bath of TSP

Old September 6th 06, 07:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
[email protected]

Default Ti - arcing bath of TSP

The peice: 1"x2"x1/4" 6AL/4V. Prepped with 'Multi-Etch' from Reative
studios.
The power source - mini anodizer also from Reactive.
Cathode is stainless foil (supplied with anodizer)
I started with TSP at 3% and tried all the way up to 25% mixed with
water (not tap but from a 'glacier' reverse osmosis filter - the ones
you get drinking water from)
I wanted the higher voltage colors - but as soon as I put them in the
bath, arcing occurs actually on the surface of the peice. The arcing is
in many places at once and of course ruins the color with the
brown/gray surface where arcing occurs. The bath doesn't heat up, the
cathode isn't touching, it is just arcing all over even with the
current limiting device on and set to 0.1 Amps. As soon as it gets to
70 or 80 volts the arcing starts - along with the bubbling of the
electrolyte (just at the surface of the peice) it would be quite
beautiful to watch these 'mini-stars' appear on the titaninum under the
surface - that is, if it didn't ruin the color.

I know the arcing is cased by the breaking down of the electrolyte -
but that should only happen with heat. The TSP should not be breaking
down with a 0.1 Amp setting and a big chunk of Ti like that should it?
I could understand if this were a brush application but it is submerged
(just the peice and a Ti hook - not the anode) in a 1/2 litre of
elecrolyte.

Any suggestions? Is there an alternative to TSP that doesn't break down
so easily at high voltage (not anything nasty that I can't handle with
rubber gloves please)

Thanks