I think I am nuts . . .

Old January 4th 04, 11:20 AM
Sally Holmes

SewStorm wrote:
They also forget that one might have personal associations with a
colour - a colour that suits me well, for instance, is navy blue,
but I cannot bring myself to wear it because it reminds me of my
school uniform.

Ha, same reason I'll never, ever again wear Black Watch plaid!! Four
years of wearing a wool, pleated skirt with at least four yards of
that fabric cured me of it forever.

For me, it's maroon. Luckily it's not a colour that is often in fashion -
and never teamed with grey with a thin stripe of old gold. How could they do
that to us?

One of the local (private) schools has a girls' uniform so incredible in its
hideosity[1] that it can only have been designed to make the girls look
ugly, unappealing and childish.

DD's school has a good idea: they let the sixth-formers (girls aged 17 and
18) wear a business suit in any dark colour. So the girls have a suit for
interviews and the ones that go straight to work or a gap year instead of
university have a wardrobe of smart clothes.

Sally

[1] Anyone else read the Georgia Nicholson books? They're for teenagers, but
my excuse is that I'm a school librarian.

Old January 4th 04, 04:57 PM
SewStorm

[1] Anyone else read the Georgia Nicholson books? They're for teenagers, but
my excuse is that I'm a school librarian.

Yes, I love them! My excuse (if one is needed for a true bookaholic, which one
is not) is that I'm the mother of a teenager, and after all, I need to know
what she's reading. And when the title is "Angus, Thongs, and Full Frontal
Snogging", one really should preview, shoudn't one? LOL

Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

Old January 5th 04, 04:42 AM

Hated color:
Pea green. Makes me want to barf. Anyone remember when the two kitchen
accessory colors were sunny egg-yolk yellow or pea green? I lived with
cheap plastic pea green kitchen stuff for an obscenely long period of
time--couldn't afford a new sneeze 'till we went from penniless to
merely poor.
MIL used to have a cheap plastic cover she used on her antique dining
table. One day, I just couldn't tolerate the eyesore a moment longer, so
I ran to Joann's and bought the heaviest, clearest plastic I could get--
really good stuff--and sneaked the old cover out to the trash. She
retrieved the dam@##ed thing, but I wouldn't let her put it back on the
table.
Cea (finger down throat at memory)

Old January 6th 04, 12:00 AM
SewStorm

My parents once bought a house with a Birds Instant Custard yellow
barfroom suite... Official name, primrose - Dad mitigated it by
painting the walls a vibrant lime green! It looked very cheerful, but
was never a bathroom into which to take a hangover! Nor was it one to
inspire you to do your make-up in the mirror there - not unless you
wanted to come out VERY brightly painted, to try to cover the faint
green cast the walls gave you!

Just thinking about it gives me a green cast, Kate! LOL

Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

Old January 6th 04, 03:19 PM
Kate Dicey

SewStorm wrote:

My parents once bought a house with a Birds Instant Custard yellow
barfroom suite... Official name, primrose - Dad mitigated it by
painting the walls a vibrant lime green! It looked very cheerful, but
was never a bathroom into which to take a hangover! Nor was it one to
inspire you to do your make-up in the mirror there - not unless you
wanted to come out VERY brightly painted, to try to cover the faint
green cast the walls gave you!

Just thinking about it gives me a green cast, Kate! LOL

Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

It was very cheerful, and looked excellent, but, as my mother said, not
really a keeper! If they'd been staying more than a year in the house
(it went back on the market within 3 months of them moving in!), they'd
have changed the suite!

They bought this one when Dad left the RAF: Little Sis was still at the
local college, and they wanted to move again as soon as she finished the
year, as he was commuting an hour each way to work. The next house they
bought had a plain white suite, but the most horrendous bilious pink
wallpaper in the barfroom yoo ever did see! Not QUITE as bad as the
1950's grey with dark red lumps of dead animal kitchen wallpaper we
discovered behind the old cupboards when the kitchen was refitted here,
but almost...
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old January 6th 04, 07:09 PM
SewStorm

Not QUITE as bad as the
1950's grey with dark red lumps of dead animal kitchen wallpaper we
discovered behind the old cupboards when the kitchen was refitted here,

shudder Ya gotta wonder what some of the wallpaper (and fabric) designers
were thinking, don't you? Yikes!

Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

Old January 7th 04, 12:51 AM
Kate Dicey

SewStorm wrote:

Not QUITE as bad as the
1950's grey with dark red lumps of dead animal kitchen wallpaper we
discovered behind the old cupboards when the kitchen was refitted here,

shudder Ya gotta wonder what some of the wallpaper (and fabric) designers
were thinking, don't you? Yikes!

Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

I have seen curtains of a similar nature! I think they were being used
as dust sheets for a painting job... Not surprising, really!