I think I am nuts . . .

Old January 3rd 04, 03:18 PM
Sally Holmes

Joy Hardie wrote:
And, about the suggestion Melinda made about the "Color me Beautiful"
book.......does that not help you determine what colors are right for
you / skin tone or something? I never could figure that out.

If you can't figure it out it may be worth paying for a consultation.

I suppose it would be good to wear colors that look best on me...

Not just the ones that look best on you, but the ones that you look best in.

what if they are not the colors I like? I guess I have avoided that
book because I have been afraid to find out I have been wearing the
"wrong" colors. Color evokes such emotion that it would be so sad if
you couldn't wear your favorite.

The colours you love often turn out to be the colours that are "right" for
you. Even the "wrong" colours can be worn if you add, say, a scarf to
separate the colour from your face.

I "had my colours done" years ago and it gave me the courage to wear bright
colours that I love. It also showed me that I'd been right to avoid pure
white and black.

Sally

Old January 3rd 04, 03:54 PM
Sami

Well, lots of good suggestions. Also nice to know others suffer from
color addiction. I really love those loud prints. I even have my
"black is the most exciting color in the world" husband wearing
Hawaiian shirts. Interesting that someone mentioned getting the
newest Threads - my local B&N does not have it, and I have been so
frustrated I went to the Taunton website to order a year's
subscription - guess I'll have to now . . . I also laughed over the
"redheads don't wear pink" - my mother had strict rules. Blonds wore
blue, but not red, my black-haired sister could wear nearly anything
as long is was not yellowish in cast. I hated blue for years. I
still avoid it a lot . . . trauma! Give me hot pink and lime green
and teal and I'm a happy girl. I think I bought khaki once . . .

Thanks for all the good suggestions - much appreciated!

Sami
Old January 3rd 04, 04:57 PM
SewStorm

my mother had strict rules. Blonds wore
blue, but not red,

But so many blondes look smashing in red!

It took me a long time to realize that I really could not wear gold-y yellows
and oranges, but now you can tell "my colors" just be taking a peek into my
closet. You'll see lots of jewel tones, with a heavy emphasis on reds, blues
and purples, and mostly black "on the bottom", with plenty of clear greys and
white to go with. Thank heavens for scarves!
..
Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

Old January 3rd 04, 06:32 PM
Trishty

On 03 Jan 2004 16:57:52 GMT, SewStorm wrote:

It took me a long time to realize that I really could not wear gold-y yellows
and oranges, but now you can tell "my colors" just be taking a peek into my
closet. snip

You're right - some years of trial and error should tell most people what
they feel and look best in (finding what you want, though, as colours and
styles change every season is another matter).

I figure, wear the colours that make you feel good. I can see design
agencies are useful for people who are unsure about their looks (especially
if changing job, etc) but it strikes me that they play on people's
insecurities in an unhealthy way.

They also forget that one might have personal associations with a colour -
a colour that suits me well, for instance, is navy blue, but I cannot bring
myself to wear it because it reminds me of my school uniform. Conversely,
someone at work once pointed out to me that I always wore a red suit on
Mondays. That was a tough day, press day on my magazine and I didn't finish
till 10 or 11pm - clearly I was unconsciously girding myself up for it.
Most of the rest of the time I was in black, simply because it doesn't show
the London filth.

Now, however, in the country, dahlings, brown is the new black of course...

Trish
Old January 3rd 04, 07:56 PM
Olwynmary

a colour that suits me well, for instance, is navy blue, but I cannot bring
myself to wear it because it reminds me of my school uniform.

Take heart, Trish. Not only was my school uniform navy, I was also a keen Girl
Guide, and most that uniform was also navy!!! It took me twenty years after I
was out of school (and guides) to wear that colour again. Now, however, I
don't mind it a bit.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.
Old January 3rd 04, 08:02 PM
Olwynmary

Finally, when you bring the coordinating fabrics home, store them with the
existing fabrics so you can make one outfit at a time - and don't forget to

get
thread and buttons, zippers etc. while you are out.

The only problem I find with it is in the "Finally" part at the end
where whe has us shopping for more stash.......and then storing more
stash. I love it up till then, but I think I would prefer to shop as
I go on those expensive notions. Great planning on the rest as I know
I have all those same problems. Thanks Olwyn.

Joy, I was working on the assumption that the original poster really wanted to
turn her stash into a wardrobe. If that is too much for you at once
(particularly while you are learning to cook :-) :-) ) an alternate way would
be to simply list what is needed, then go out and buy one coordinating fabric
at a time.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.
Old January 4th 04, 12:38 AM
SewStorm

They also forget that one might have personal associations with a colour -
a colour that suits me well, for instance, is navy blue, but I cannot bring
myself to wear it because it reminds me of my school uniform.

Ha, same reason I'll never, ever again wear Black Watch plaid!! Four years of
wearing a wool, pleated skirt with at least four yards of that fabric cured me
of it forever.

Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

Old January 4th 04, 02:25 AM
elaine

"Joy Hardie" wrote in message
..

And, about the suggestion Melinda made about the "Color me Beautiful"
book.......does that not help you determine what colors are right for
you / skin tone or something? I never could figure that out. I
suppose it would be good to wear colors that look best on me...but
what if they are not the colors I like? I guess I have avoided that
book because I have been afraid to find out I have been wearing the
"wrong" colors. Color evokes such emotion that it would be so sad if
you couldn't wear your favorite.

You would be surprised to find out how naturally you gravitate towards the
colours that suit you..I know I was..there were a few I never would have
thought of wearing, but most were ones I already knew looked good on
me...2/3 of my wardrobe is a vibrant teal/turquoise mish mash, a colour I
have always gotten complimented on. Speaking of which Itripped across some
new stuff for my stash when I foolishly went in "just to look" at
Fabricland. I need some ideas for what to do with this lovely satin weight
brocade in teal shades, and the teal velour that just HAD to come home with
me. I was thinking a shell and perhaps jacket from the brocade and pants or
skirt from the velour, but any other ideas are welcome. Is it possible to
make a skirt/pants from the velour without using an elastic waist or should
I go for a dress?

Old January 4th 04, 05:05 AM
melinda

Joy Hardie wrote:

And, about the suggestion Melinda made about the "Color me Beautiful"
book.......does that not help you determine what colors are right for
you / skin tone or something? I never could figure that out. I

Yes, that's the one. It's not just based on skin tone, but eye and
hair colour. It turned out that I should be wearing the colours I
liked, not the ones DM thought looked good on me. I ended up giving
DH the T shirts of the colours that DM talked me into because they
look better on him. (A T shirt is a T shirt, unisex unless it's shaped)

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old January 4th 04, 05:13 AM
melinda

Olwynmary wrote:
a colour that suits me well, for instance, is navy blue, but I cannot bring
myself to wear it because it reminds me of my school uniform.

Take heart, Trish. Not only was my school uniform navy, I was also a keen Girl
Guide, and most that uniform was also navy!!! It took me twenty years after I
was out of school (and guides) to wear that colour again. Now, however, I
don't mind it a bit.

You woun't catch me wearing my primary school colours - sky blue and chocolate
brown, neither od which I should wear. High school colours were black white
and golden yellow, of those I only wear black and white, golden yellow is not
one of my colours.

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol