pinking shears sharpening? (US)

Old December 16th 05, 01:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default pinking shears sharpening? (US)

I have tried to get my Wiss pinking shears sharpened locally. No good.
No one does it anymore around here anymore (Sacramento CA).
Boo Hoo

Does anyone have a contact for some place in the US where I can send my
pinking shears for sharpening?

liz young (in cloudy california)
Old December 16th 05, 02:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

i have no idea sore sure but i wonder if folding a few layers of kitchen
foil
and cutting thru that repeatedly might help til you find someone.
or cutting thru really fine grade sandpaper perhsaps.
just a couple of thoughts.
someone else might have more info on either of these.
i googled and asked jeeves and the sandpaper bit was the only mention i
could find for diy sharpening.
fwiw.
cheers,
jeanne
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r

"Elizabeth Young" wrote...

Old December 16th 05, 02:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Hi Liz, You might try a Fancy Cutlery Store at the Mall. Maybe even
Williams Sonoma could help you find someone that does it. They probably
send it out too. Here in Texas there is a guy that comes to TSWLTH that
will sharpen anything. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Linda inTx

Old December 16th 05, 05:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Liz,
You might call the Stretch & Sew store in Stockton. I gave him my scalloped
scissors to sharpen & he did a great job with them. Their phone number is
209-957-1237 & Maxine's email address is . They pack up
tons of fabric on the weekends & have "trunk shows" quite frequently. They
may even come to Sacramento area.

Pauline
om...

Old December 16th 05, 05:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

SNIGDIBBLY wrote:
http://www.gingher.com/repair.htm
These folks might be able to take care of your scissors.

I thought so too, but the saleslady at the sewing store (who has stopped
advising pinking shears as a purchase because of the sharpening issue)
said Gingher won't even sharpen their own shears anymore.
However, it is always worth checking!
Thanks, snigs

liz young in frosty, foggy, windy (go figure) california
Old December 16th 05, 05:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Will do. I am planning on heading down to stockton for the ansel adams
show at the haggin mus. in the next month.

liz young in cold foggy california

Old December 21st 05, 03:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 00:38:37 GMT, Elizabeth Young
wrote:

I have tried to get my Wiss pinking shears sharpened locally.

It's pretty much impossible to sharpen pinking shears. It's not easy to
sharpen your own brand, where you can jig up to do one design over and
over, but to sharpen any old pair that comes in off the street is very
hard. Also, most pinking shears simply _can't_ be sharpened - they take
their adjustment from the pivot and so you need to dismantle them and
work on the pivots to get the set right again. If they're not
maunfactured to allow this, then it's really not practical.

On the bright side, scissors rarely need full sharpening anyway.
Generally a light honing is enough to make them cut again and as merely
honing them doesn't disturb their set, then this is an easy job. It's
entirely practical for DIY.

Get a small diamond hone on a plastic stick (DMT make good ones). Use
this, wet, to polish the top edge of the blade - the edge that contacts,
but doesn't slide over, the other blade of the scissors (i.e. not the
face). Be careful to hold the hone at the right angle and to not wobble
it (thus making a rounded surface). A few minutes work here will
generally rejuvenate most straight bladed scissors and a small hone will
even allow you to work on most pinking shears. Even with a serrated
blade, honing the non-serrated blade is worthwhile. So long as the
scissors aren't worn so badly that their set is affected, this is
usually enough to get them cutting again.
Old December 23rd 05, 08:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

wrote:

I have tried to get my Wiss pinking shears sharpened locally.

It's pretty much impossible to sharpen pinking shears.
Also, most pinking shears simply _can't_ be sharpened - they take
their adjustment from the pivot and so you need to dismantle them and
work on the pivots to get the set right again. If they're not
maunfactured to allow this, then it's really not practical.
On the bright side, scissors rarely need full sharpening anyway.

Well, it looks like mine are made to be taken apart, and I do believe
that the adjustment is off, because if I jam the blades together as I
cut, most of the shear cuts.

Now, where did I put that oil....

liz young in cool california
Old January 24th 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Elizabeth Young wrote:

I have tried to get my Wiss pinking shears sharpened locally. No good.
No one does it anymore around here anymore (Sacramento CA).
Boo Hoo

Does anyone have a contact for some place in the US where I can send my
pinking shears for sharpening?

liz young (in cloudy california)

I sharpen any shears, Specializing in industrial and pinking.

Sorry, I am not local, as I live and work in Marlboro MA. I have the buk
of my work sent to me as a lot of people have trouble finding a cutler,
anywhere.

The one thing we can't sharpen is cast steel. The way to determine is to
file in a discreet area (behind pivot). If the file "skates" (doesn't
cut into steel), they are probably cast.

Your Wiss pinkers are excellent candidates for sharpening, PROVIDED,
that someone already has not tried to sharpen the individual teeth, used
sandpaper or tinfoil (STOP THAT !). You don't actually sharpen the
teeth. The manufacture of pinking shears make tight tolerances and if
you sharpen the teeth, you effectively ruin the shears so that they
never mesh properly.

Have been sharpening for 20 years professionally and I sharpen in excess
of 6000 shears per year for one customer alone and over 8000 knives last
year at my retail/walk-in location.

My website:

http://www.villagesharpener.com

Hope this is not against group policy, but I also have probably the
largest collection of antique scissors/shears and related ephemera.
Selling a lot of it due to recent (down)turn of events, but am staying
with sharpening full-time. Here are some of my auctions (lots more coming):

**********

AD:

Hi Folks,

if you're interested:
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZcoo...her*comQQhtZ-1

Most starting at .99c with no reserve.
Still looking at 500-1000 lots in the next month.

Rather than go into the why's, please read my "ME" profile on ebay:
http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ublishe r*com

Thanks,
Joe dba "Village Sharpener"
ebay ID: CookbookPublisher*com

ps: If you could forward info to any interested parties, I would
appreciate it. Talk to you soon.