Singer Model 66

Old December 24th 03, 01:14 PM
Desiree Jenkins

Default Singer Model 66

I have inherited a Singer Model 66 with motor from my grandmother. If anyone
has any information on it, that would be great, as I was taught to machine
sew on this machine when I was in grammar school, but have not even seen it
since, and have forgottenmost of the pertinent information.

Thanks in advance,

Desiree

Old December 24th 03, 08:17 PM
Ann Knight

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 12:14:59 UTC, "Desiree Jenkins"
wrote:

I have inherited a Singer Model 66 with motor from my grandmother. If anyone
has any information on it, that would be great,

Here's an online manual:
http://hubben.crosswinds.net/66Tread...ge1thru11.html

Old December 24th 03, 08:44 PM
Taria

Singer 66's were made for a lot of years. They are great machines.
There is info on ISMAC and some of their links. Is it a redeye?
Those are neat. A Singer 66k, the one with the lotus looking flowers
on it is my want in a machine right now. Looks like someone sent
a link for the manual. They are easy to use and parts are still around.
Nice that you can have something that was pretty important to your
grandmother.
Taria

Old December 25th 03, 05:08 AM
Kate Dicey

Desiree Jenkins wrote:

I have inherited a Singer Model 66 with motor from my grandmother. If anyone
has any information on it, that would be great, as I was taught to machine
sew on this machine when I was in grammar school, but have not even seen it
since, and have forgottenmost of the pertinent information.

Thanks in advance,

Desiree

I have a 1923 hand crank one! Hit the URL below and look for Spinning
Jenny! The manual is on line at Singer, but if you have any problems I
still have my original.

They are brilliant machines, and just go on forever!

Happy sewing! Merry Christmas!
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old December 25th 03, 07:30 AM
AmazeR

wrote:

I have inherited a Singer Model 66 with motor from my grandmother. If anyone
has any information on it, that would be great,

Here's an online manual:
http://hubben.crosswinds.net/66Tread...ge1thru11.html

Goodness! That takes me back.. Mum had one of those when I was little,
which all us girls learnt to sew on.. I wonder if she still has it.....
Must ask..

Mavis
Old December 25th 03, 12:34 PM
Sally Holmes

wrote:

I have inherited a Singer Model 66 with motor from my grandmother.
If anyone has any information on it, that would be great,

That's a nice machine. It only does straight stitch, but it does it very
well. It's similar to the Singer 99. You can see pictures of both for
comparison he http://members.aol.com/jodeli/sewphotos6699.html

If you email with the serial number of your machine
they will tell you exactly when and where it was made but it sometimes takes
them several weeks to respond. For an approximate date you can look here
http://www.4bandit.addr.com/Date_Your_Mach.htm or enter the date in Mr
NeedleBar's Dating Book, which you can download from here
http://www.needlebar.com/new.html . Or you can email it to me, because I
downloaded Mr NeedleBar's book.

To find out more about old sewing machines go to http://www.ismacs.net/
where you will find FAQs about cleaning old machines.
http://www.needlebar.com/ is also a great place.

Now, you may have realised from the above that I seem to have more than a
passing interest in old sewing machines. There are people here and in
alt.sewing that like them much, much more than I do (coughJoanne, Melissa,
Hanna's Momcough). Those old machines are so beautifully made and many have
been loved and cherished over the years. Plus, I think that the old
machines, with their black paint and gold decals, are lovely to look at. But
I only have one or two. Well, maybe half a dozen, if you count the Singer 66
treadle and the Featherweight and the Singer that needs stripping and
repainting. And I could give them up any time if I wanted to. Just bewa
once you are clued into old sewing machines you'll see them everywhere.

--
Sally Holmes
Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England

Old December 25th 03, 07:58 PM
Pogonip

Sally Holmes wrote:

Now, you may have realised from the above that I seem to have more than a
passing interest in old sewing machines. There are people here and in
alt.sewing that like them much, much more than I do (coughJoanne, Melissa,
Hanna's Momcough). Those old machines are so beautifully made and many have
been loved and cherished over the years. Plus, I think that the old
machines, with their black paint and gold decals, are lovely to look at. But
I only have one or two. Well, maybe half a dozen, if you count the Singer 66
treadle and the Featherweight and the Singer that needs stripping and
repainting. And I could give them up any time if I wanted to. Just bewa
once you are clued into old sewing machines you'll see them everywhere.

Good job, Sally. I do understand that you are not
addicted to the acquisition of old sewing machines.
Neither am I. Of course, there's no sense letting one go
to waste..... or be overlooked or carried off to the
tip/dump. Some do make good boat anchors, but most can be
brought back to productive life.

Everyone needs an old sewing machine for when that fancy
one has to go in the shop to be tweaked and cajoled into
sewing. Everyone needs an old sewing machine for when the
new fancy one is busy on a project that it took 20 minutes
to get set for the right stitch, and you just need to sew
up this split seam in the crotch of DH or DS or DD's pants.

Now, since threading is probably one of the most
time-consuming parts of sewing, threading and preparing a
bobbin, that is, it's really handy to have a few old
sewing machines around already threaded in the most needed
colors -- black, brown, blue, beige, red, green, yellow,
orange.....well, you get the idea. I have also found it
helpful to have one set up with a darning foot and dropped
feed dogs, for those inevitable mending jobs.

You also need a treadle or hand crank machine for when the
power fails. Some people even take one outside on the
porch, deck, or patio (gazebo, anyone?) during fine
weather. Or for camping trips. I knew a woman who took
her treadle to her husband's gold claim, and while he
panned for gold, she sewed up gorgeous clothes for work.

Some people rescue old "people-powered" sewing machines to
send off to third-world countries with unreliable or
non-existent electricity so that the locals can use them.
--

coughJoanne @ stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us
Life is about the journey, not about the destination.

FS: Singer model 5932 Sewing machine: $140 Bob Hetzel Marketplace 0 November 22nd 04 04:27 PM
Singer Model 99 Laurie G. Quilting 4 November 7th 04 07:04 PM
fs&fa FOR PERFECT QUILT PIECING the Little Known Most Popular Singer Featherweight Vintage Accessory! singer_fw_iron_lover Marketplace 0 August 9th 04 04:30 PM
Singer featherweight, newer model vs. older model Beth Pierce Quilting 20 May 5th 04 12:12 AM
Singer Model 5528 Leslie Sewing 2 December 8th 03 11:40 AM