Singer Model 99

Old November 6th 04, 06:34 AM
Laurie G.

Default Singer Model 99

I will soon be the new owner of a Singer Model 99, apparently born in 1926.
She arrives this week. Does anyone know anything about these machines or
where I can go to get information? I know she is beautiful but I'm not even
sure she works. It was my first eBay transaction so I'm also hoping I
haven't been taken advantage of - if you know what I mean!

* * * * * * *
Happy Quilting!
Laurie G.

Old November 6th 04, 06:34 PM
Laurie G.

Thanks, Irene! I do know that there is no reverse but I can live with that.
I'm not sure how much I will actually be using this machine, but I think it
is a great piece to have.

Laurie G.
"IMS" wrote in message
Hopefully you know that most 99s do not have a reverse feature,and can
live with that Some folks just use a stitch set to '0' for a few
turns to lock the stitch.

The 99 is a great straight stitcher, which came in a lot of various
'decal' patterns. It uses class 66 drop in bobbins. The Needlebar site
has lots of info on old Singers:

http://www.needlebar.com/singer.html

And here, too, where there is also a manual:

http://www.users.bigpond.com/gryphoninc/home03.html

It may need lubrication, and how to do this in the manual.

-Irene

Old November 6th 04, 07:29 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
A good place to start:
http://www.ismacs.net/

http://hubben.crosswinds.net/99ktext.html

Good luck!
Ragmop/Sandy

Old November 7th 04, 07:04 PM
Johanna Gibson

wrote:

I will soon be the new owner of a Singer Model 99, apparently born in 1926.
She arrives this week. Does anyone know anything about these machines or
where I can go to get information? I know she is beautiful but I'm not even
sure she works. It was my first eBay transaction so I'm also hoping I
haven't been taken advantage of - if you know what I mean!

Happy Quilting!
Laurie G.

I have two - one was made in 1931 and one was made in 1937. The 37
is in mint condition and is a gem. The 31 I have sewn on loads, but
it was in worse condition when I started and was my sole sewing
machine for several years. I sewed all sorts of things on it - cotton
patchwork, fake fur teddy bears, even hemmed some curtains and work
dresses. Even if it doesn't reverse, it is a good little machine!

-- Jo in Scotland