how do I size thread?

Old July 11th 03, 03:13 PM
Jean Peach

Default how do I size thread?

I often wondered how to find out how to compare threads for size.

There is a book called Threads for Lace, which also includes embroidery
threads.

Not only do I make lace, but I have been doing my City & Guilds Machine
Embroidery. This book has been invaluable to me, especially if I need to
use different threads for for different textures. This book not only tells
you the Size spin but the Wraps/cms which is most important as.

If you go to

http://users.argonet.co.uk/users/pat...ddendum.2.html

This will give you an idea of what I have been trying to say.

I have been amazed at the thread that I have been able to use, often filling
my spool with very thick threads, faceing
the right side of the material to the machine, reversing what you normally
do.

Hope I have been of help.
Jean
"Dora Smith" wrote in message
. ..
I wonder what Coats & Clark Dual Duty Plus Extra fine is? I don't see

any
numbers anywhere - except for what looks like a tex number, which is the
only kind of number I was able to figure out how to decipher. It has

"T6"
on it. That seems finer than ordinary light-fabric thread, which would
start at T18 or something. Store clerk insisted it was just a price

code!
When I asked, OK, why would I want to pay more money for certain T

numbers,
she said they were for different purposes - with the higher T numbers

being
for quilting, etc. ????

I guess Sulky brand thread is supposed to be for thread literate people.
The store clerk who answered the phone said it is their brand of fine
thread. It is finer than ordinary thread, but not as fine as Coats &

Clark
extra fine thread. It says, SULKY 40 942 1001, 250 yd/225m, GERMANY X.
(Should be enough thread for darning the altar linen, ja?) My guess

would
be, 40 is the size thread - but by which system, and what does it mean?

Dora

"Dianne Lewandowski" wrote in message
For size comparisons:

40/2 is the most common linen thread size. That is the same thing as
40/2 sewing thread, commonly sold as upholstery, carpet, or buttonhole
thread. A basting thread.

60/2 is normal sewing machine thread.

80/2 and 100/2 is quite fine, used on batistes, lawns, and cambric
linen. Actually, the word "cambric" means "fine". Think handkerchief
weight.

The first number is the size (how fat or thin the round thread is), the
second number is the number of plies. All sewing thread (that I know
of) is two-ply.

In today's world, in a common fabric shop, you won't find these numbers,
anymore. If you pick up a spool of thread, it won't say 60/2, it will
say "all-purpose". That's because, since most people don't sew anymore,
few know what all these numbers mean. big grin But by looking at
these cotton and cotton-poly threads, it will give you an indication of
exactly what 40/2 and 60/2 means. :-)

Remember, not all threads are made equally. I have 80/2 that is very
weak and fuzzy, and I have 100/2 that is very strong.

It may take you awhile to find exactly what you need.

Dianne

Old July 11th 03, 05:30 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

That's a bad URL. Does anyone have an update?
Dianne

Jean Peach wrote:
[...]

"Dora Smith" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

FS sewing embroidery,crochet,cross stich thread 80% off Great Deals Marketplace 0 January 20th 05 01:58 PM
NEWEmbroidery thread sewing thread for sale with pictures check it out Sewing & Embroidery Deals Marketplace 0 December 10th 04 07:21 PM
Nymo question Beadbimbo Beads 23 October 13th 04 02:09 PM
Thread and toggle frustration Gemfyre Jewelry 0 June 8th 04 08:51 AM
Xmas ornament pattern Laurie Beads 1 July 6th 03 04:21 PM