Buffing Beads

Old October 23rd 03, 08:57 PM
Juanita Floyd

Default Buffing Beads

Hi All,

Quick question. Anyone have any really nifty ideas for holding on to bead
whilst you are buffing them?? I have scared the bejesus out of the dog and
myself with flying beads that get kicked out of the buffer while I am trying to
hold on to them. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Juanita

http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...serid=rvnsbrk&
include=0&since=-1&sort=2&rows=25BE Bay Items/B/A

May fate bless us all according to our deeds.
Old October 23rd 03, 11:40 PM
Bead Sprite

I usually put my beads onto a cocktail stick or wooden BBQ skewer. If you
push them on really hard, they should stay in place! Hope this helps.

--
Amanda
http://mysite.freeserve.com/amanda_rose_designs

Old October 24th 03, 01:46 AM
eliquint

I put my bead on a piece of old coat hanger that I attached a cotton ball
(super glued) onto the end. The wire part is about 4-6" long, just long
enough to hold in my hand with my four fingers. I grip the wire like I'm
grabbing it to pull it down but leave my thumb stuck out & positioned on the
bead. (make a fist around the wire but leave your thumb out at a 90 degree
angle) Then I can let the bead go if I want to & the cotton ball keeps it
from flying off the end. I use a bench grinder with a cotton buffing wheel
& it runs really fast. Smaller beads I use a lighter guage wire and just
put masking tape on the end, and I usually polish 5-6 smaller beads at the
same time. Large beads I do one at a time. The cotton ball works best for
the larger ones because if you forget and let go of the bead with your
thumb, it will whirl around against masking tape & get all gunked up with
adhesive from the tape, no fun to clean off. I used to use an old ice pick,
and stuck a cork on the end. But if you let the cork accidently hit the
polishing wheel, it will pop off and there goes your bead! I had to come up
with a better idea, because I popped the cork off once & in my attempt to
quickly put the ice pick upright I stabbed my chin and then my hand. Big
OUCHY!! (Sometimes I am the biggest klutz!! LOL)
Hope this makes sense. It's often easier to show someone then it is to tell
them.

Also, FYI, someone told me to use a jewelers polishing wheel the ones with
jewelers rouge in it. Well, it certainly made a mess of some really nice
beads I made, so trust me the rouge just left black/brown ucky stuff all
over the beads and I ended up painting them and letting the kids have them
to play dress up with.

Hope this helps, just my 2 cents worth.

eliquint

Old October 28th 03, 09:42 AM
Valerie

Also, FYI, someone told me to use a jewelers polishing wheel the ones with
jewelers rouge in it. Well, it certainly made a mess of some really nice
beads I made, so trust me the rouge just left black/brown ucky stuff all
over the beads and I ended up painting them and letting the kids have them
to play dress up with.

I've had the same results.

Valerie
Website: http://www.geocities.com/m2ir8/index.html
RCB Member Links:
http://www.geocities.com/m2ir8/professionallinks.html
Submit your site! E-mail me for details! *Remove* spam block to reply.

Old October 28th 03, 07:03 PM
Sherry Bailey

I use a bamboo skewer, or just hold them in my fingers -- but then I
hate buffing beads and try not to do it often!

Use a jeweler's WHEEL (cotton muslin) but NEVER the rouge. Polylmer
clay is way too soft to need rouge, which is an abrasive and wax, and
as you have learned, the two things are not compatible. In fact, the
unstitched muslin wheels are better than the s titched ones, because
the stitched ones tend to grind away the clay even though they are
fabric.

If you find things being grabbed by the wheel, first off be sure you
are holding them in the lower front quarter of the wheel so they get
pulled away from you. Then, unless you like tracking things grabbed
from you down, I recommend putting an open cardboard box right behind
the wheel. It helps collect the dust from the wheel so it doesn't
spread quite as much, and if something gets grabbed, it lands in the
box, not across the room. (I sometimes keep an old towel or something
soft in the box to catch things and keep them from rolling or gettnig
scratched.)

Sherry Bailey