STOP!!!!

Old November 10th 07, 05:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
FarmI

Default Drop spindle spinning

"Anastasia Luettecke" wrote in message
The top (still don't know if that's the right term) is in batt form. I
guess the "trick" of it is figuring out how to balance the timing of the
process, the tension of your fingers, and the speed of the spindle? If
that's the case, I can see this is going to take a loooooot of practice!

I don't know the weight of my spindle, although it's pretty heavy; I'm
assuming it's the beginner's model. Louet makes it, and it's got cute
l'il sheep printed on it.

It took me about 5 minutes to learn but I can already spin and own a couple
of wheels so know the feel and the look of the wool as it's spun - I always
think that trying to learn to spin with a spindle is the hard way to learn
spinning.

Have you split the batt into thinner strips and eased it out or are you
trying to spin from the full fat batt? If you haven't split it, then I'd
suggest you do so and then ease it out as your drafting will be easier if
you do that. Also if it's a heavy spindle then you should aim to spin
thicker yarn. You need a very light spindle for fine stuff.

Fran

Old November 10th 07, 05:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
FarmI

Default STOP!!!!

"enigma" wrote in message
"Teacher Gal / Tasialue" wrote in

Anyone got any tips for someone learning to use a drop
spindle? I've got a huge amount of what I believe to be a
brushed "top," a spindle, and a book. I'm still a little
hesitant, but I'd love pointers!

i'm probably the last person to take advice from on drop
spindling, as i'm not very good, but...

Have you spun that mix I sent you yet?

Old November 10th 07, 06:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
FarmI

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message

It's the whorl which is weighed. Because we make them (that is, Spouse
makes them) for a wide variety of experience we do try to give the spinner
what s/he wants. One of our friends has Spouse make them without any
whorl, the spindle itself has a bulge (see pic link below) as well as in a
variety of usually polyphant whorls.

It looks like a spurtle, the Scot's porridge stirring stick. Which is n't a
criticism - it could be a multi purpose tool.

She teaches spinning and sells ours on. She's a
very skilled spinner and makes the finest linen thread from flax fibre,

Do you know where she gets the flax from? I can't get any in this country
and would like to try spinning some but need a source.

she
used to just push a bead onto the spindle. She's also recently done a
Master's degree in mediaeval textiles and has discovered that whorls were
usually discarded once the weight of yarn on the spindle made them
unnecessary. The yarn itself became the governor - which is the only
function of the whorl.

I was spinning at a party not long ago (I knew it'd be last for hours so
took my wheel). A very nice young man came up to me to chat and told me
about his friend who is 'the' world expert on Asian spinning whorls.
Sounded very interesting, but I did wonder how many years it had taken her
to become such an expert in such an arcane field.

Old November 10th 07, 06:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Anastasia Luettecke

"FarmI" wrote:

Have you spun that mix I sent you yet?

Must be thinking of someone else....I've only given my address out to one
person on the list, and I don't think it was you.

Also, I'm certain I would remember receiving fiber in the mail, and I didn't
get any.

'Sall good, though!

Anastasia

--who's off to bed to warm up! Chilly 34 degrees Fahrenheit here!

Old November 10th 07, 09:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message

It's the whorl which is weighed. Because we make them (that is, Spouse
makes them) for a wide variety of experience we do try to give the
spinner what s/he wants. One of our friends has Spouse make them without
any whorl, the spindle itself has a bulge (see pic link below) as well as
in a variety of usually polyphant whorls.

It looks like a spurtle, the Scot's porridge stirring stick. Which is n't
a criticism - it could be a multi purpose tool.

No, all the spurtles I've had and used have had a straight, thicker 'stem'
and a decoration of some king (*usually a thistle shape) at one end.

Do you know where she gets the flax from? I can't get any in this country
and would like to try spinning some but need a source.

Have you Googled? It's not difficult to get here, I buy sliver by mail order
but for my wick I had a car full of tow samples given to me in Ireland.

I was spinning at a party not long ago (I knew it'd be last for hours so
took my wheel). A very nice young man came up to me to chat and told me
about his friend who is 'the' world expert on Asian spinning whorls.
Sounded very interesting, but I did wonder how many years it had taken her
to become such an expert in such an arcane field.

I'd like to know who she is.

At our silver wedding party - many years ago, a shepherd friend brought his
wheel and Spouse had his too, the sitting room was quiet with lots of people
watching and learning and practising. The dining room became louder and
louder according to the amount of champagne flowing.

Guess which room I was in!

Mary

Old November 10th 07, 10:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Y?

Hi Katherine and others
When I started wheel spinning, I was pointed to a web site with some video's
about it all, and noticed that there is also video's on spindle spinning..
this maybe helpful for the ''look and learn'' part of spindle spinning. Of
course this was a long time ago, and I don't remember the actual site now,
however I am found a couple listed here which may be of help to you all...

You Tube has this video of drop spindle spinning
http://youtube.com/watch?v=RgD7twl9U8w
the main page is this one,,,
http://youtube.com/watch?v=76AlaqmEX...elated&search=

There is this site ~ with clear drawings/sketches, which may help,
http://www.mielkesfarm.com/spndl_inst.htm

then this one
http://www.allfiberarts.com/cs/spininfo.htm

and then this one with some video's
http://www.joyofhandspinning.com/

I am sure there are other places online to help with hand spinning using a
spindle.

I know there are plenty of DVD's and Video's to buy or hire from libraries
too so maybe this would be another source of info to look for.

higz Cher

"Katherine" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Nov 9, 3:20 am, "Teacher Gal / Tasialue" wrote:

Anyone got any tips for someone learning to use a drop spindle? I've
got a huge amount of what I believe to be a brushed "top," a spindle,
and a book. I'm still a little hesitant, but I'd love pointers!

You and me, both! I had a drop spindle many years ago, but
no one to show me how to use it. Now I am in a place where
I could find someone, but I have no time. however, it IS on my
list of things to do. If you get any tips, I will use them, too.

Higs,
Katherine

Old November 10th 07, 10:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Y?

OMG lol...never thought of it quite like that...makes a good rug yarn though
for weaving..
higz Cher
snip

A heavy spindle is good if you want to spin ship's cable :-)

Mary

Old November 10th 07, 12:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
enigma

"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote in news:47354438$0$23915
:

"enigma" wrote in message
"Teacher Gal / Tasialue" wrote in

Anyone got any tips for someone learning to use a drop
spindle? I've got a huge amount of what I believe to be a
brushed "top," a spindle, and a book. I'm still a little
hesitant, but I'd love pointers!

i'm probably the last person to take advice from on drop
spindling, as i'm not very good, but...

Have you spun that mix I sent you yet?

no, it's right here in a basket next to my desk where i admire
it daily... (sooooooft!)
i think i'll go talk to Marci at the Elegant Ewe about a
private brush-up lesson on the wheel & spin it up this winter
though.
you said you made socks with yours? what pattern? did you put
nylon in the heels & toes?
lee currently knitting Lovkka mittens for the kid
Old November 10th 07, 12:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
enigma

"FarmI" wrote:

Have you spun that mix I sent you yet?

Must be thinking of someone else....I've only given my
address out to one person on the list, and I don't think it
was you.

it was me it's a Finn/Cashmere. so so soft.

Also, I'm certain I would remember receiving fiber in the
mail, and I didn't get any.

want some llama? i've discovered i'm getting nice workable
fiber just brushing them. really long staple (6") though, so
i dunno how it spins. i've been needle felting it.

lee
Old November 11th 07, 12:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

Thanks for the tips, but I'm not ready yet. I'll let you know when
the time comes.

Higs,
Katherine

"Katherine" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Nov 9, 3:20 am, "Teacher Gal / Tasialue" wrote:

Anyone got any tips for someone learning to use a drop spindle? I've
got a huge amount of what I believe to be a brushed "top," a spindle,
and a book. I'm still a little hesitant, but I'd love pointers!

You and me, both! I had a drop spindle many years ago, but
no one to show me how to use it. Now I am in a place where
I could find someone, but I have no time. however, it IS on my
list of things to do. If you get any tips, I will use them, too.

Higs,
Katherine- Hide quoted text -

Help! I can't stop!!! KJ Quilting 51 March 1st 07 02:13 AM
Somebody stop me!!! Dannielle Quilting 5 December 9th 06 12:22 PM
Somebody stop me ;) Padishar Creel Yarn 4 December 9th 06 12:09 AM