Newbie with a couple of questions

Old December 16th 05, 10:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Newbie with a couple of questions

Hi there, I've recently started to lurk here and I have a couple of
questions about the newsgroup:

You seem to be involved in a great many good works, the hugs and charity
quilts especially. I've heard of the hug blocks, are they a standard
size? Are there any rules about the fabric/colours?

I love the fact that this feels like a real global community of
similarly interested people (I can't say like-minded as there is lots of
diversity). You support one another and seem to find a way to brighten
even the darkest of days. The idea of squishies and uglies is fab. I
saw the recent directories reminder - is this open to all? How does it
work?

Come to think of it is there a faq I can access? I tried via a couple
of old links but didn't get anywhere. I have a million and one little
questions which I'm sure would be in there somewhere.

Thanks for the laughs and ideas so far, I hope to get up the nerve to
post more soon.
--
Jo Pender
Malvern UK
Old December 16th 05, 11:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Hi Jo! Welcome! We have another Jo in Scotland, so we need to know
how to tell you apart.... other than her cat Sasha! I'm a nitwit with
computers, but someone will come along and tell you how to find the
FAQs. Karen is in charge of the hug list. Someone will point you in
that direction as well. Meanwhile, welcome again and please stick
around for the fun!

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

PS: You can see our HairyButt Gang at the following link. Feel free
to wander thru any of our photo albums!

http://community.webshots.com/album/326209428VIYOnw

Old December 16th 05, 11:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Whee!!! Another UK addition to the RCTQ family.

You seem to be involved in a great many good works, the hugs and charity
quilts especially. I've heard of the hug blocks, are they a standard
size? Are there any rules about the fabric/colours?

Usually the blocks are 12 and a half inches square, but whoever is
organising the HUG will set out the rules. If the recipient has a favourite
colour, that's what will be asked for, although sometimes it might just be
left open.

I love the fact that this feels like a real global community of similarly
interested people (I can't say like-minded as there is lots of diversity).
You support one another and seem to find a way to brighten even the
darkest of days. The idea of squishies and uglies is fab. I saw the
recent directories reminder - is this open to all? How does it work?

The directory is produced 2 times a year and is an Excel spreadsheet of real
life names, addresses and emails for RCTQ members. If you go to the page
for the directory - http://www.ourcyberfamily.us/RCTQ/Directory/index.htm -
that explains it all.

Come to think of it is there a faq I can access? I tried via a couple of
old links but didn't get anywhere. I have a million and one little
questions which I'm sure would be in there somewhere.

The FAQ is posted once a month, I'm sure there's a website somewhere that
carries it too?

Morag (in Oxford, not a million miles from Malvern!)

Old December 16th 05, 11:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

hi Jo,
keep asking questions, its the best way to find out all the answers.
remember, no question is dumb unless you dont ask it.
oh oh, its stopped raining for a few seconds, might go count my seedlings
again. )
cheers,
jeanne
auckland, new zealand
summer???, could of fooled me with the downfall, lol
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r

"Jo Pender" wrote...

Old December 16th 05, 11:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In article ,
Jo Pender wrote:

Hi there, I've recently started to lurk here and I have a couple of
questions about the newsgroup:

Welcome, Jo!

You seem to be involved in a great many good works, the hugs and charity
quilts especially. I've heard of the hug blocks, are they a standard
size? Are there any rules about the fabric/colours?

The colors vary according to the "hug-ee", but the size is almost always
either 6" or 12" finished. Sometimes there are other requests, but these
are the most common.

I love the fact that this feels like a real global community of
similarly interested people (I can't say like-minded as there is lots of
diversity). You support one another and seem to find a way to brighten
even the darkest of days. The idea of squishies and uglies is fab. I
saw the recent directories reminder - is this open to all? How does it
work?

The directory is open to all regulars of the group -- "regulars" so as
to keep spambots from getting all of this information. You can submit
your information via the link that Alice sent out and will probably
remind us of again in a day or two.

Come to think of it is there a faq I can access? I tried via a couple
of old links but didn't get anywhere. I have a million and one little
questions which I'm sure would be in there somewhere.

Wendy will post the FAQ for our group sometime in the next few weeks; it
usually happens about once a month.

Thanks for the laughs and ideas so far, I hope to get up the nerve to
post more soon.

Please do! That's how we all get to know each other. What sort of
quilts to you like to make? What kind of chocolate do you prefer? Do you
have QIs? Have you met any of the other UK contingent here?
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old December 17th 05, 12:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 22:18:07 +0000, Jo Pender
wrote:

[...]

Just seen Wendy's post further up the list, answering someone elses
query. She posts a faq every month. This is what she said:

'Hey! and I actually posted them on time this month! Go he
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...n&lr=&ie=UTF-8
and search on FAQ and/or Squishie'

The only problem with this group is that there often isn't time left
to quilt!! - or you are like me and end up going to bed at some silly
time of the night.

I've been around for about 18 months, and during that time I've
learned so much its unbelievable. Everyone is so eager to help, and
there are so many knowledgable and friendly people. Its surprising how
quickly you will come to recognise names.

Enjoy your quilting.
--
Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)

Old December 17th 05, 01:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Welcome Jo. Have a seat, I have some chocolate to share! Do you like dark
or milk chocolate? I'm a dark person myself but always have milk chocolate
on hands for the guest. Gezz it just dawned on me that I'll need to stash
up also on licorice and M & M. Gotta be a good host! ;o) - Do tell us more
about yourself. Do you have any pictures of your quilts?
--
Carole
Champlain, NY

Fine style does not make something true, nor has a man a wise soul
because he has a handsome face and well-chosen eloquence.

Aurelius Augustinus (354-430)

Old December 17th 05, 08:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Welcome Jo.
There are just a few of us in this area of the UK, but quite a large
group over the country as a whole. And, as you say, RCTQ is global.

If you use Google - Groups, you can access the archive of RCTQ posts
(they all get filed in there). You will be able to find a recent
posting of the FAQ's, that Wendy does each month.
You might have read references to Project Linus quilts. Can I just tell
you that we can do these in the UK, too. Most local groups now have a
contact person.
It'll be good to have you around, when you can. I used to teach! Now I
do a tiny bit of tutoring to two teenagers.
..

In message , Jo Pender
writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old December 17th 05, 09:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT village near you-- was... Newbie with a couple of questions

hey Pat,
how long a drive is it from you to hay-on-wye?
i checked it on several online maps but the distance/time eludes me.
doesnt look too far.
just curious as i've got some good old friends who live there and just got a
xmas card in the post from this this morning.
they dont get back here too often and i've been out of touch since 2001 due
to all the stuff i've had to do with mom, tim and then the in-laws this past
nearly 5yrs now.
i've got an email addy for them, sent one off a while ago, its not yet
bounced so could still be current. sometimes i dont get bounces back for
ages tho.
i've done a fairly good search online to see if the business they own there
with her sister/bil is online but didnt find it so not too sure whats up
with them now. they may not be online at all.
anyhow just was curious.
cheers and happy holidays,
jeanne
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r
http://community.webshots.com/user/nzlstar
http://community.webshots.com/user/VirtualQuilting
"WOK- the ancient art"

"Patti" wrote...

Old December 17th 05, 10:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In message ,
Sandy Foster writes

Please do! That's how we all get to know each other. What sort of
quilts to you like to make? What kind of chocolate do you prefer? Do you
have QIs? Have you met any of the other UK contingent here?

As all I've done until recently were cot quilts, I'm not sure what I
like yet. I'll sort pictures of the two tops I've recently completed.
Right now I'm really enjoying simple patchwork patterns. Machine
quilting gives me the fear, but I know my work by hand isn't up to much.
I've seen some fantastic quilts here, there was one called a mariner's
compass (don't suppose anyone has a link to a pattern for that?) which
has got me thinking. I'm a milk chocolate gal through and through, no
chocolate should turn your face inside out!

I'm afraid I don't know what 'Qls' are, some of the abbreviations have
baffled me, but I'm getting there. I do have some furries, Syd the dog,
Blaze, Splodge and Bandit the rats and some large hairy thing that
shares my house and looks more baffled than Syd when I start talking
about quilting or crafting. I've not met anyone locally yet, though I'm
sure there will be a good chance of bumping into a few from this group
at the Quilts UK shown in May (I'm so lucky to have it on my doorstep!).
--
Jo Pender
Malvern UK
"I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work"
~Thomas Edison

Many questions about my new watch [email protected] Jewelry 2 July 3rd 05 05:12 PM
Newbie dropping in! Hello - FurrsomeFoursome Quilting 27 December 12th 04 09:54 PM
OT for some of you, but not me: Arthritis symptoms questions for the newbie QuiltShopHopper Quilting 8 July 21st 04 01:19 AM
questions! Laura J Yarn 7 June 16th 04 09:00 PM
A few newbie questions biig Beads 7 July 24th 03 10:46 PM