Newbie and dumb question(s)

Old September 30th 03, 11:13 PM
NoSpam

Default Newbie and dumb question(s)

Hi

I picked up a pottery book and I have read it.. I do have a few questions..
First, I like the concept of a "pit" fire kiln / sawdust fire kiln.
I understand that sawdust type kiln does not get "hot" like an electric
type.
Since the sawdust type does not have the heat and the clay can't not
completely fuse
it is pours. I assume that a sawdust fire kiln products are "food safe."
After reading
the book, I understand not all clays are "food safe". How do you make it
non-pours?
Basically I want to make me a coffee cup and some other like objects...

Thanks....

Old October 1st 03, 03:23 AM
Mud Dawg

If you want to make coffee mugs and such, you really need to fire in a kiln.
I am not sure how hot the sawdust gets but I have never seen anyone use it
to fire functional ware. If it did get hot enough, I would think the ash
would stick to the glaze. For pit fires, terra sig works great but your
stuff won't hold liquids and I wouldn't want to eat out of the piece more
than once!

Old October 1st 03, 07:16 AM
annemarie

"Mud Dawg" wrote in message
news
If you want to make coffee mugs and such, you really need to fire in a

kiln.
I am not sure how hot the sawdust gets but I have never seen anyone use it
to fire functional ware. If it did get hot enough, I would think the ash
would stick to the glaze. For pit fires, terra sig works great but your
stuff won't hold liquids and I wouldn't want to eat out of the piece more
than once!

I wouldn't want to eat out of it even once. Oxides etc are likely to be on
the surface and unstable.
Pit firing is for decorative purposes. If you want to make functional ware
I suggest you join a class or a group where you will be taught and have
access to a kiln.