White wool or white cotton?

Old August 21st 06, 12:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
BB

Default White wool or white cotton?

I plan on making a baby blanket that I want to last for many years. I'd
like to have white be the main color, but I wonder if it would yellow.
Would wool or cotton be better for this? Or should I consider a
different color?

BB
Old August 21st 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Wooly

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 23:07:54 GMT, BB spewed
forth :

I plan on making a baby blanket that I want to last for many years. I'd
like to have white be the main color, but I wonder if it would yellow.
Would wool or cotton be better for this? Or should I consider a
different color?

BB

I always vote for wool. Superwash for kid stuff. Try Cascade220
Superwash or one of the Dale Baby Ull offerings.

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old August 21st 06, 12:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
BB

I plan on making a baby blanket that I want to last for many years. I'd
like to have white be the main color, but I wonder if it would yellow.
Would wool or cotton be better for this? Or should I consider a
different color?

BB

I always vote for wool. Superwash for kid stuff. Try Cascade220
Superwash or one of the Dale Baby Ull offerings.

I've got a Dalegarn pattern in mind, so I've been looking at the Dale
Baby yarns. So the white yarn wouldn't yellow if it is kept for years?

BB
Old August 21st 06, 01:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Olwyn Mary

BB wrote:

I plan on making a baby blanket that I want to last for many years.
I'd like to have white be the main color, but I wonder if it would
yellow. Would wool or cotton be better for this? Or should I
consider a different color?

BB

I always vote for wool. Superwash for kid stuff. Try Cascade220
Superwash or one of the Dale Baby Ull offerings.

I've got a Dalegarn pattern in mind, so I've been looking at the Dale
Baby yarns. So the white yarn wouldn't yellow if it is kept for years?

BB

I have made baby blankets out of top-quality acrylics for each of my
grandkids. They hold their color, wash and dry with ease and wear like
iron.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans

Old August 21st 06, 02:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
BB

I have made baby blankets out of top-quality acrylics for each of my
grandkids. They hold their color, wash and dry with ease and wear like
iron.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans

I'm already working on an acrylic blanket and there will probably be
more of those for everyday use and for them to do with what they want.
I also wanted to make one extra special one that I would hope would be
saved and handed down in future years. For that one, I thought a
natural fiber might be better. If white wool would turn yellow, then I
should think about alternative colors.

BB

Old August 21st 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Wooly

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 23:20:05 GMT, BB spewed
forth :

I always vote for wool. Superwash for kid stuff. Try Cascade220
Superwash or one of the Dale Baby Ull offerings.

I've got a Dalegarn pattern in mind, so I've been looking at the Dale
Baby yarns. So the white yarn wouldn't yellow if it is kept for years?

BB

I think any bleached white item - regardless of fiber content - will
yellow with time. Use a natural (ie unbleached) white or a dyed
off-white/ecru instead of white. Then nobody will notice ;D

+++++++++++++

Old August 21st 06, 03:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
BB

Wooly wrote:
I think any bleached white item - regardless of fiber content - will
yellow with time. Use a natural (ie unbleached) white or a dyed
off-white/ecru instead of white. Then nobody will notice ;D

Yeah, that was Plan B. The pattern I'm looking at uses the
off-white/natural. Here's a link.

http://spinblessing.com/DG13502_blanket.htm

I was thinking of making the flower and edging blue. Yeah, the
off-white would work.

Thanks, Wooly

BB
Old August 21st 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
JCT

I have a baby blanket (mine as an infant) that is quite old and it is
something like a cream color. It seems to be pretty uniform in color
and quite nice though not exactly white. Now I can't tell you whether
it was all the way white ever but I do know that it is wool. I guess
you might say it has "yellowed" but I really think "mellowed" better
describes it as it is still quite nice. I suspect that if I keep the
beasties away from it it could last for several generations. I do also
have a sweater (much younger) that my mother made for me out of acrylic
or some such yarn at least 40 years ago and it has yellowed more than
the baby blanket and less evenly. (Don't ask me why I still have this
item as I don't think I actually have worn it for at least 25 years -
maybe longer.)

By the way, I love Dale Baby Ull - it is wonderful to work with. I have
made a number of sweaters with it. I haven't made a blanket with it
yet but am really tempted by some of their patterns.

Judy

Old August 21st 06, 05:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
YarnWright

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 23:07:54 GMT, BB spun a fine yarn

I plan on making a baby blanket that I want to last for many years. I'd
like to have white be the main color, but I wonder if it would yellow.
Would wool or cotton be better for this? Or should I consider a
different color?

BB

I needed to read through the rest of the thread before answering, as I
had a few questions before I threw in my two pence (those questions
were answered, IE, is this the everyday blankie, or the heirloom, A:
the heirloom)

SO, I agree 100% with Wooly, ecru or offwhite, superwash wool.

(cotton can shrink and get dishcloth like unless its mercerized and
SUPER 'cared-for')

JM2C,
Noreen

http://www.lulu.com/content/292418
- - - - -
---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0633-4, 08/18/2006
Tested: 8/20/2006 11:12:56 PM
avast! - (c) 1988-2006

Old August 21st 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
BB

YarnWright wrote:

SO, I agree 100% with Wooly, ecru or offwhite, superwash wool.

(cotton can shrink and get dishcloth like unless its mercerized and
SUPER 'cared-for')

JM2C,
Noreen

Good point, Noreen!

I think my brain conversion from "wool, never" to "nice wool is good" is
complete

BB

white wool klh Yarn 9 July 9th 06 08:19 PM
Chalking Jeannette Marsala Rubberstamps 2 July 8th 05 12:18 AM
Why jewelers encourage white gold than platinum? Michael Jewelry 8 February 14th 04 07:42 PM
good vs bad white gold HurricaneMB Jewelry 2 January 1st 04 12:07 AM
Berlin wool? Katherine Burgess Yarn 4 August 5th 03 02:02 AM