Mastering the art of

Old June 30th 05, 12:15 AM
Arri London

Default Mastering the art of

rolled hems on the machine!

Any tips for starting and ending the hems so they aren't lumpy, please?
In between the start and end the hems come out very nicely...

TIA
Old June 30th 05, 12:53 AM
Trish Brown

Arri London wrote:

rolled hems on the machine!

Any tips for starting and ending the hems so they aren't lumpy, please?
In between the start and end the hems come out very nicely...

TIA

The very best success I've had is to start the RH a little way from the
end (say, half an inch) and then needleturn it by hand when the machined
hem is completed. If you sew off the end of the fabric, there's no
reason for the opposite end to become lumpy: you can use a long pin
(quilter's pin) to guide the fabric into the RH foot.

With practice, rolled hems are very easy to do, but having said that, I
can honestly say it's the important or in-a-hurry one that'll go wrong
for you *every* time! =:-0

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, Australia
Old June 30th 05, 09:07 AM
Kate Dicey

Arri London wrote:

rolled hems on the machine!

Any tips for starting and ending the hems so they aren't lumpy, please?
In between the start and end the hems come out very nicely...

TIA

Fold the first inch over to the right width twice, and pin to a bit of
paper... Sew off the paper onto the fabric for two or three stitches,
stop with the needle down, and raise the presser foot. Gently tug the
fabric into the curl of the presser foot, lower it, and continue sewing.
The paper tears off really easily afterwards, and this method works
for two rolled hems meeting at a corner. Leave long tails that you can
tidy any raw corners with, and then slide them up the hem to finish off.

The best photos and explanation of this come from Fine Machine Sewing by
Carol Laflin Ahles, ISBN 1 56158 153 4 (Taunton Press 1966), $24.95 (USA).

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old June 30th 05, 11:58 PM
Arri London

Trish Brown wrote:

Arri London wrote:

rolled hems on the machine!

Any tips for starting and ending the hems so they aren't lumpy, please?
In between the start and end the hems come out very nicely...

TIA

The very best success I've had is to start the RH a little way from the
end (say, half an inch) and then needleturn it by hand when the machined
hem is completed. If you sew off the end of the fabric, there's no
reason for the opposite end to become lumpy: you can use a long pin
(quilter's pin) to guide the fabric into the RH foot.

With practice, rolled hems are very easy to do, but having said that, I
can honestly say it's the important or in-a-hurry one that'll go wrong
for you *every* time! =:-0

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, Australia

TY. Yes been practising on the soft muslin so I don't waste my nice
silk. The hem is indeed easy...it's the start and stop that are
difficult LOL.
Old July 1st 05, 12:02 AM
Arri London

Kate Dicey wrote:

Arri London wrote:

[...]

TY. That does make sense and I use the sew-off-the paper thing for other
tricky bits. Seem to remember reading that book; must take it out of the
library again.