On my needles and on my wheels

Old December 17th 11, 03:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Briggs

Default On my needles and on my wheels

I am knitting two-at-a-time socks on a long 47" circular. I prefer Knit
Picks Harmony needles and so that's what I'm using. They are #2. The sock
yarn is a really boring midnight navy superwash merino 75%, 25% nylon. I'm
making them for my hubby. I like to make colorful socks for myself or my
friends, but since he is a guy I decided to just go with a nice dark color
for him. He's always complaining about the toe seams in his socks and so
since I'm doing a Kitchener weave at the toe, I thought this might solve the
problem. I hope he likes them.

I'm also spinning right now. On my Matchless wheel I'm spinning some lace
weight angora dyed a sea green, and I'm beading it about ever 10 inches or
so. When I get the bobbin done, I plan to ply it with some very shiny
beautiful teal thread I found -- two strands of thread and one of the yarn.
Then I plan to make a beaded evening bag out of the whole thing. This yarn
is taking a LONG time to spin. Normally I can spin pretty rapidly, but
because of the beading it's taking time. Should be worth it though, but I'm
looking forward to finishing it so I can move on to just plain old spinning
which I love to do at night and which eases my mind after a long day.

On the other wheel, my Ashford Elizabeth 30", I am spinning up some
beautiful Australian merino dyed aqua and kiwi green and carded together. I
don't have a drum carder (yet) so have been hand carding rolags to spin. I
expect to get a little carder for Christmas though so I'm holding off on
this stuff for a bit.

June

Old January 2nd 12, 02:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Briggs

You are also busy! I finished those socks mentioned in my post. My hubby
loves them. I started on a pair of worsted weight socks in pink and lavendar
for myself. They are going quick -- on size 8s in that heavier yarn. I also
started messing around with my new Louet Jr. drum carder today. I LOVE that
thing. I carded together some merino in two shades and it spins like a
dream. I am also spinning some corriedale for the first time on my Baynes
wheel. I have 3 spinning projects going at once -- each totally different,
so it's fun to decide which to do.

Can we see the shawl when you finish it? I love shawls.

June

I am working on a pair of socks for a friend, a sweater for a baby who
is due late
in January, and a shawl for myself. I have also just received a
request for a
hat from my son. So I'll be busy!
Higs,
Katherine

Old January 2nd 12, 07:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

On Jan 1, 8:00*pm, "Briggs" wrote:
You are also busy! I finished those socks mentioned in my post. My hubby
loves them. I started on a pair of worsted weight socks in pink and lavendar
for myself. They are going quick -- on size 8s in that heavier yarn. I also
started messing around with my new Louet Jr. drum carder today. I LOVE that
thing. I carded together some merino in two shades and it spins like a
dream. I am also spinning some corriedale for the first time on my Baynes
wheel. I have 3 spinning projects going at once -- each totally different,
so it's fun to decide which to do.

Can we see the shawl when you finish it? I love shawls.

Here's a link for the shawl. I spent several years looking for JUST
the
right pattern, and this is it. It will take me forever to finish it,
because
I have to knit in absolute quiet.
http://www.siviaharding.com/patterns...carf_or_shawl/

Worsted weight socks do knit more quickly, but I can't wear them
inside
most of my shoes.

Lucky you, spinning! I tried a drop spindle once, but couldn't get
the hang of it. I think that I need a person to teach me.

Higs,
Katherine
Old January 2nd 12, 05:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Briggs

Here's a link for the shawl. I spent several years looking for JUST
the
right pattern, and this is it. It will take me forever to finish it,
because
I have to knit in absolute quiet.
http://www.siviaharding.com/patterns...carf_or_shawl/

Worsted weight socks do knit more quickly, but I can't wear them
inside
most of my shoes.

Lucky you, spinning! I tried a drop spindle once, but couldn't get
the hang of it. I think that I need a person to teach me.

Higs,
Katherine

Oh that shawl is fabulous! I understand about the absolute quiet when
knitting lace. I wear lots of thick socks so most of my shoes work.

I did take lessons when I first got my first wheel. It helped a lot to get
the hang of the whole thing, but most of it is just
practice/practice/practice.

Old January 2nd 12, 10:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

On Jan 2, 11:26*am, "Briggs" wrote:

Oh that shawl is fabulous! I understand about the absolute quiet when
knitting lace. I wear lots of thick socks so most of my shoes work.

I did take lessons when I first got my first wheel. It helped a lot to get
the hang of the whole thing, but most of it is just
practice/practice/practice.

Well, we are starting a knitting group here, and since I AM the
starter,
I will need to be there all the time. I plan to take TWO items with me
to each session - the shawl, which I will work on when I am alone,
and something else that doesn't need intense concentration when
others come.

Yes, practice probably would have helped me, but since I wasn't even
sure that I was doing it right, I likely wouldn't have gotten any
better,
in any case! g

Higs,
Katherine
Old January 3rd 12, 12:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Briggs

Well, we are starting a knitting group here, and since I AM the
starter,
I will need to be there all the time. I plan to take TWO items with me
to each session - the shawl, which I will work on when I am alone,
and something else that doesn't need intense concentration when
others come.

Yes, practice probably would have helped me, but since I wasn't even
sure that I was doing it right, I likely wouldn't have gotten any
better,
in any case! g

Higs,
Katherine

I know what you mean about something that requires no concentration. I can't
turn a heel or do a gusset unless I am by myself.

Old January 3rd 12, 12:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
mirjam

..

Here's a link for the shawl. I spent several years looking for JUST
the
right pattern, and this is it. It will take me forever to finish it,
because
I have to knit in absolute quiet.http://www.siviaharding.com/patterns...carf_or_shawl/

Higs,
Katherine

Onkly dud i manage to look at it K A T H E R I N E it is
wonderful
mirjam

Needles loved and needles hated Aaron Lewis Yarn 27 August 8th 07 10:22 AM
DPN knitting needles for sale (double-pointed needles) marilyn safier Marketplace 0 October 5th 05 07:41 AM
Wheels for Sale C. A. Sanger Pottery 0 November 9th 03 08:34 PM
wheels Lou Doll Houses 0 October 2nd 03 04:08 AM
wheels Chuck Doll Houses 1 September 25th 03 02:56 PM