graver sharpening

Old July 28th 10, 08:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Ted Callier

Default graver sharpening

I am trying to learn hand engraving on my own, with the help of two
books (Hardy/Bowman and Meeks). And watching videos on Youtube. These
are a great help to visualise the process of engraving. Thing is, I
just can't seem to find any instructional videos for sharpening
gravers. All I could find is directed towards commercial products
which are too expensive for me right now.

Anybody has a link to a video which shows sharpening gravers using the
flint-stone aged manual procedure with indian oilstone and arkansas
stone?

And, more of a european specific question, it seems, what kind of
sharpening aids are used in Europe. The book speak about a graver
holder / graver fixture "Crocker", but the only sources I can find are
in the US. Anybody has sources in Europe, or a european equivalent?

Thanks in advance,
Ted
Old July 29th 10, 08:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
1 Lucky Texan

On Jul 28, 2:50=A0am, Ted Callier wrote:
[...]

I found some links doing a google video search. Not all look helpful,
not all are at youtube.

http://www.google.com/search?q=3Dgra...3Doff&cl ien=
t=3Dfirefox-a&rls=3Dorg.mozilla:en-USfficial&tbs=3Dvid:1&ei=3D0iNQTPqeJYX=
GlQfW45G7CQ&start=3D0&sa=3DN&cts=3D1280320491496

Probably 2-3 will have some decent guidelines.
Old August 1st 10, 02:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Slainte

"Ted Callier" wrote in message
[...]

Ted,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...ords=719800226

or
http://preview.tinyurl.com/22vd25j

I have a copy of this book and would recommend it for anybody beginning to
learn hand engraving. And yes, it has detailed instructions on preparing and
sharpening gravers -- and very much more. I found it an excellent read and
reference book.

Neil

Old August 6th 10, 07:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Abrasha

Ted Callier wrote:
[...]

Go he http://www.lindsayengraving.com/

And specifically to the engraver forum he http://www.engravingforum.com/

This is a very good place to ask questions.

Here is the info you are looking for sharpening:
http://airgraver.com/graver_point_geometry.htm and possibly
http://airgraver.com/sharpening.htm, if you want to buy Steve Lindsay
graver sharpening system.

Here are the instructions for using the Lindsay Graver Sharpening
system, http://www.engravingschool.com/priva...0Sharpener.htm

Here is a page with lots of links
http://www.engravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=419, one of them being
free online videos http://www.engravingschool.com/private/videos.htm

Another link leads to 11 hours of videos.

And here is a video "Sharpening with Lindsay sharpener - flat and knife"
http://vimeo.com/2164592. It's a 5 minute video.

BTW, Steve is one of the best, if not the best, engraver working in the
US today. Spend some time on his web site, and you'll understand. He
is so busy, he is not taking any new orders at this time. Most likely
he has enough work to last the rest of his life.

Take a look at his shop at http://www.lindsayengraving.com/tour/index.html

Almost all of the machine tools are antiques, that he meticulously
restored himself, including hand scraping of the ways of his mills and
lathes. An amazing craftsman!

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old August 6th 10, 07:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W. Rowe[_2_]

On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 23:00:09 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry Abrasha
wrote:

Here is the info you are looking for sharpening:
http://airgraver.com/graver_point_geometry.htm and possibly
http://airgraver.com/sharpening.htm, if you want to buy Steve Lindsay
graver sharpening system.

As Abrasha points out, Steve's work is just amazing, and his suite of web sites
an invaluable reference source. And it takes a lot to really impress Abrasha.
If he's impressed, you can bet there's a real reason... :-)

By the way, I strongly recommend Steve's sharpening system. I own a GRS power
hone and fixture, which I had prior to getting Steve's system. The power hone
if it's used at all these days, gets used with Steve's template system. Much
faster and more repeatably accurate. You're limited to grinding the point
geometries that the templates produce, but that selection is well chosen. You
seldom would need or want much else. And the bare bones level system with just
the universal template will do much of what many beginners would want. I tend
to use the detailing template more often, and also use the flat/knife template.
I've got a bunch of the others, but haven't needed them. I generally only need
the 2000 grit stone and the 260 grit coarse one. The intermediate grades are
nice to have if you want, but not really needed. So you can set yourself up
with this setup for a lot less than a power hone system.

Note that Steve's setup is designed exclusively for 3/32 square blank graver
stock, such as the Carbalt or high speed steel gravers that Steve sells and
uses. The system does not sharpen traditional graver shapes, only the square
stock types. But these, for the type of work they're intended for, are a
superior product in any case. You don't need a power assist handle like an
airgraver to use these. Just a holder. Both Steve and GRS sell plain (not
powered) graver handles for use with these types of engraving tools.

Peter Rowe
Old August 12th 10, 09:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Wireywoman

For more info on gravers and graving - have you tried these sites:

http://www.engravingforum.com/
http://igraver.com/forum/

they have TONS of info and some really great people.

Janice

Old September 8th 10, 08:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
William Black

On 04/09/10 07:27, Alav wrote:

And, more of a european specific question, it seems, what kind of
sharpening aids are used in Europe. The book speak about a graver
holder / graver fixture "Crocker", but the only sources I can find are
in the US. Anybody has sources in Europe, or a european equivalent?

You need a fine quality sharpening stone. You're also going to need a
grinding wheel because 'as supplied' they're always far too long...

You can either nip down to Suttons and spend money:

http://www.suttontools.co.uk/acatalo...ystem_184.html

Or you can do it the old fashioned way, by hand and eye.

A decent graver is under £10.

It's cheaper to buy half a dozen and learn to do it properly by trial
and error.

Or you could go on the short course (I think it's five days) 'Diamond
setting' at the Central School of Jewellery in Birmingham where they
spend a full day on preparing and sharpening gravers and bull sticks and
other interesting small cutting tools under the eye of an expert.

--
William Black

Free men have open minds
If you want loyalty, buy a dog...
Old November 30th 10, 05:20 AM
Vsemkoma Vsemkoma is offline
Banned

Location: Ðîññèÿ
Send a message via ICQ to Vsemkoma

Thanks again, I understand that they are the bare bones, and to be honest that is what I was looking for. It helps me to understand the process better. Im gonna play with the toys you gave me. I dont know why I was thinking that a motion compensated sharpening would be more capable of fending of haloing. I must be motion compensated because I usually am the culprit of the artifacts.

Thanks again

FS-Saw sharpening equipment Gunner Carving 0 August 8th 06 05:05 AM
Q: Graver Shaping Chris Jewelry 1 February 21st 04 06:36 AM
Sharpening question patrick Carving 8 October 10th 03 09:59 PM
scissors sharpening services SandySmth Quilting 6 July 19th 03 01:03 PM
Scissor sharpening Andy Dingley Sewing 0 July 11th 03 12:34 PM